New village build near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New village build near Udon

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 pm

:P
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:43 pm

The waterproofing solution for the temporary power setup - a button-up heavy duty poncho my wife sourced for me. And a fluoro light for the first barbeque on the block soon.
20170114_164127.jpg
Waterproofing

And installed a locking tap on the waterpipe. Very happy with the strong flow from the town supply.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:57 pm

tn_P1020153.JPG

The inside of my rented house in Udon. You could have a basketball game in the living area. Just love high ceilings.
BTW.. That isn't using a wlde angle lens. The bedroom doors really are 1.8m H x 1.0m W.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Had a meeting and site inspection yesterday with a builder from Udon who comes highly recommended by one of his clients. I have commissioned him for the first stage of my project, being the retaining wall and garage. If the work is good, he will likely do most of the work on the rest of the build. Price for the retaining wall, which varies from 0.8 to 1.2m, is 1,500 THB per lineal metre - a good price in my opinion, since it includes ten 400 x 400 pillars on one sq m footings a metre below finished ground level.
Went with him today to Do Home and ordered the steel which will be delivered on site tomorrow. Looks like we will soon have something solid in the holes and trenches we dug back in November. We went to Cpac at Ban Lueam (Udon Thani) today and was quoted 2700 THB per cube including 35 kms delivery (which in reality is only 25 kms). They've got to be f****** joking! What happened to the 2150 THB I was quoted in November? I didn't say a word - just turned on my heels and walked out. A couple of phone calls and and we were soon in business again. The wife's sister built a small house in the village last year and the concrete used has stood up well with no obvious cracking. She bought it through the village building supply company. Called the owner (whose mini excavator we hired previously) and he quoted us 1700 THB delivered on site. So Khun Chanchai (the builder, nickname Geng) and I will go to the BS shop tomorrow.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Turns out that the concrete will come from Siam City Cement (Eagle brand) who opened a new batch plant just outside the village a couple of months ago. Steel arrived on site this morning, and workers arrive tomorrow.
ajarnudon

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 pm

I was just about to reply regarding the high cost of an 800 high wall which in materials shouldnt cost any more than 250bt/lin metre (and circa 400bt for 1.2m high)

but then I realised it was a retaining wall. :oops:

Pretty hefty piers at 400mm for such a low wall...........i take it for that price its going to be a shuttered reinforced insitu connie structure at least 150 thick and a full bag of reinforcement mashings?

What exactly is it retaining?
eyecatcher

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes; yes, and the pillars as far below ground as above. These are the ten anchoring pillars - intermediate pillars will be 20 cm square. Retaining 0.8 to 1.2 metres of clay. Cheers, John
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:48 pm

It turns out that Geng knows Ban Thueam very well. He recently built the new police station here. Most of his workers on my job come from Ban Kor, about 5 kms away.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:33 am

Wall concept diagram
Wall.jpg
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:59 am

Sorry, wrong picture :lol:
South Retaining Wall.jpg

In reality, the footing will be stepped, as the natural ground falls away from the road to the rear (left).

Squauring up the footing for column next to the soi.
20170324_140542.jpg

20170324_140614.jpg

Much of the wall footing will be below the water table for at least half the year, so the concrete has to be waterproofed - Lanko 322.
20170324_130753.jpg

The pic above shows workers mixing some concrete by hand to prepare a smooth and watertight surface for the footing to be poured from the ready mix truck.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Reo for one of the 40 x 40 cm columns
20170325_111546.jpg
ajarnudon

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:07 pm

ajarnudon wrote:Sorry, wrong picture :lol:
South Retaining Wall.jpg

In reality, the footing will be stepped, as the natural ground falls away from the road to the rear (left).

Squauring up the footing for column next to the soi.
20170324_140542.jpg

20170324_140614.jpg

Much of the wall footing will be below the water table for at least half the year, so the concrete has to be waterproofed - Lanko 322.
20170324_130753.jpg

The pic above shows workers mixing some concrete by hand to prepare a smooth and watertight surface for the footing to be poured from the ready mix truck.

It appears you are waterproofing the first lean mix base; an alternative method to a sheet membrane.

then you go on to comment about the water table.

so; are you ordering waterproof connie now buy the wagon load; otherwise I dont see the point of adding Lanko to the lean mix.
A lean mix is normally used to prevent water loss and levelling for the main mix but does not waterproof anything alone.
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:59 pm

You keep talking about a retaining wall, but the design you have is for a boundary wall, substantial yes, but boundary not retaining. Large footings and substantial posts do not make it a retaining wall.

You need an L shape to the footings with the earth to be retained on the bottom of the L. As your design stands the posts will probably be strong enough but you will have nothing between them to resist the force of the earth pushing against the wall. With an L shape the weight downwards has a chance to balance the force outwards.

As you are over designing the concrete then using Siam city cement will be unlikely to cause problems but they always use more water than is optimal in the mix "because it's easy to work with and you don't need a vibrator". We have used both CPac and red eagle in our build, CPac where quality was important, red eagle where strength didn't matter.

If you want to check quality then ask for a slump test. In our area CPac "no problem no charge, done onsite before delivery". Red Eagle "no can do, we don't have the equipment to mix the concrete for it"
Sometimewoodworker

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:44 pm

As I said earlier, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The concrete will come from the same source as my wife's sister's house, local builders, and no concrete problems whatsoever. I will visit the batch plant on Monday with the builder, and will make sure that that the mix is right. I will also do a slump test before any of it is poured. No added water on site, and I will be there watching.
BTW, from one elevation, how have you surmised the shape of the footings?
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Ah so, I think you might have been talking about the first (incorrect) diagram I posted - that one would have fallen down long ago.
Just kidding mate - I always appreciate your input.
Best wishes, John
ajarnudon

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story