Build in Ubon Ratchathani

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Build in Ubon Ratchathani

Postby glooga » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:20 am

Breakdown of costings simplified house was 200m2 including patios includes 4 bedrooms as I have 3 kids main bathroom master bedroom ensuite and thai style toilet/shower outside .Also has garage under roof line same as Australia .High Quality bathroom kitchen fittings tiles etc .The house took 4 months to construct during those four months I came once to have a look at progress The builder kept me updated daily with emails including requested photos .He was professional and polite at all times nothing was a bother or a problem for him it was infact it was pleasure to do business with him and we still remain very good friends .He is a qualified architect and builder who speaks basic English.I spent one day picking out tiles ,fittings and fixtures with my wife and builder ,This process was made simpler by engaging a color consultant from Australia. Ive never been keen on pink ,orange or green thus avoiding any confrontation on color selections .Infact my goal was to make the build as easy as possible without stress or pain which I managed to accomplish by selecting the right builder viewing his past projects and speaking to his previous customers .I had very little to do with the project besides emails .Ive been in the building game for 30 years and have a successful company in Melbourne Australia .I don't speak Thai ,the regulations and building practices are very different here ,I did what I wish my customers would do .Leave it to the PROFESSIONALS and pay on time.This is a holiday house only as my family and i all reside in Australia but come to Thailand 3-4 times a year I'm 46 years old and don't plan on retiring in the near future.We will probably avoid Melbourne winters here when the kids have completed there schooling.

Budget $200,000 AUD=5,000,000 Baht
House 3,000,000 baht
Fencing
gates automated
retaining walls
200lm 700,000 baht
pool and spa 700,000 baht
air cons and furniture 400,000 baht
60m driveway landscaping plants 200,000 baht
land provided by my wife
Total 5M Baht
We stayed on budget and the builder stayed on schedule even running 2 shifts running 24 hours a day in the final weeks to insure his handover date was as agreed .
My advice to anybody considering building in Thailand is to Set a budget do your research and employ professionals who you have checked .Have a beer and relax because at the end of the day its only bricks and mortar your relationship with your wife,family and locals is more important if you intend on spending time in Thailand.
Cheers
Phil
glooga

Postby olavhome » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Congratulations on finishing the house.
Looks really nice. :D
But staying in Australia much of the time, do you have any alarms or does wifes Family "take care" ?
olavhome

Postby glooga » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks but wife's sister lives next door and wife's father has a rice farm behind us and watches over everything including watering plants and pool maintenance
glooga

Postby pipoz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:08 pm

[quote="glooga"]I had very little to do with the project besides emails .Ive been in the building game for 30 years and have a successful company in Melbourne Australia .I don't speak Thai ,the regulations and building practices are very different here ,I did what I wish my customers would do .Leave it to the PROFESSIONALS and pay on time.This is a holiday house only as my family and i all reside in Australia but come to Thailand 3-4 times a year I'm 46 years old and don't plan on retiring in the near future.We will probably avoid Melbourne winters here when the kids have completed there schooling.

So you are a Melbourneite

Once upon a time (actually twice upon a time) I lived in Melbourne. :cry:

I woke up day an realized how bloody cold it was and moved to Queensland :D :lol:

Then I woke up another day an realized how much bloody tax I was paying :cry: So I packed up and left Australia :D :lol: :D :D :D

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:20 am

i like your last statement about taxes. I had to return melbourne to maintain my residency status so as not to pay excess taxes, lol. :lol:
Andyfteeze

Postby 2frogs » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Hello glooga,
Very nice looking place.

Just wondering if you or the contractor have broken down the overall costs into how much was paid for materials and how much for labor?

Thanks,
Richard
2frogs

Postby glooga » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:30 am

HI Richard all quoted prices and contracts were material and labour inclusive .
glooga

Postby pipoz » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:46 am

glooga wrote:some other photos

Nice looking gate and fence with the initials

pipoz
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Looks nice :)
What is the tickness of your driveway ?
5 or 10 cm?
olavhome

Postby pipoz » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:28 pm

olavhome wrote:Looks nice :)
What is the tickness of your driveway ?
5 or 10 cm?

I know you didn't ask me, but I did mine at 15 cm thick (on a 7cm sand levelling bed), with R8 wire mesh throughout.

Reason being, I intended to run the CPAC and other delivery trucks on it, for the later Garage construction, which I did. It has stood up well to a fully loaded CPAC truck.

If it was just going to be for a light vehicle, such as a Car, then 10 cm (with the wire mesh, R6) should be fine

pipoz
pipoz

Postby glooga » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Phil,
Yes you are right 150mm concrete will withstand most vehicles without cracking which is what I did also as I am now completing the pool area with concrete and tiling with a thai style Gazebo with some retaining walls and extra drainage to disperse the monsoon rains . Ive include some photos of the gazebo which was custom made for a lazy 50,00 baht
about $2000 Aussie damn good value in any ones money
cheers
phil
Attachments
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
glooga

Postby pipoz » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Re: Ive been in the building game for 30 years and have a successful company in Melbourne Australia :?:

I too have been in the same game for over 30 years - You could be me??

Drop us a PM sometime

pipoz
pipoz

Postby glooga » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:29 pm

yes the pool area is nearly finished
Attachments
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
glooga

Postby glooga » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm

progress photos
Attachments
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG
IMG_0961.JPG
glooga

Postby YasoBill » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am

:D Hi Glooga - thanks for sharing your build, very nice and appears to be very well done.

We are building soon in yasothon, and looking for a decent build team. I would be great if you could share their contact information, via PM of course :)

Bill
YasoBill

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story