House near Rattanaburi, surin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby pipoz » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:15 pm

tertim wrote:The last of our 4M beam Rebar ready for placement loaded on to our trusty site dumper!!! Ready to fix wooden shuttering around perimeter of beam.
IMG_20160717_175350.jpg

How many DB16's do you have bottom and or top in each beam??

pipoz
pipoz

Postby tertim » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:10 pm

pipoz wrote:
tertim wrote:The last of our 4M beam Rebar ready for placement loaded on to our trusty site dumper!!! Ready to fix wooden shuttering around perimeter of beam.
IMG_20160717_175350.jpg

pipoz

None I have db12mm 3 in the top and 6 in the bottom
tertim

Postby tertim » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:01 pm

tertim wrote:
pipoz wrote:
IMG_20160717_175350.jpg

pipoz

None I have db12mm 3 in the top and 6 in the bottom

I should have given you a fuller explanation the 12mm Rebar is oversize and measures about 13 to 14mm I bought a job lot for a very good price. I just scaled up the 12mm
Rebar to the equivalent of db16mm
tertim

Postby tertim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:32 am

Made good progress with the ground beams this week should be on target to pour concrete on Friday 22 July

IMG_20160718_171857.jpg
First of the wooden shuttering in place.
IMG_20160718_171912.jpg
Steady progress
IMG_20160722_133151.jpg
Sand bags will eventually be covered with wire mesh and then rendered.
tertim

Postby tertim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:50 am

Friday today and we're ready for concrete, ordered for 14.00 . We ordered from an SCG affiliated company, the Rep who visited us was very good and knew his business, in all we paid 1950B M/3 for 240 steng with waterproof additive.
Well the concrete was late and finally arrived around 16.00, the concrete company had already called Yam and let us know they were running late (mai pen rai, time to light up a cigar and relax)
When the driver saw that there were only 5 people to place the concrete he offered to help which was gladly accepted it still took us over 2 hours to complete and was around 19.00 before we finally tidied up.
1469233903102.jpg
Shuttering completed ready for concrete
1469233902613.jpg
First delivery
1469233902889.jpg
About 1 hour to finish
1469233903102.jpg
A good omen?
tertim

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:43 am

tertim wrote:Made good progress with the ground beams this week should be on target to pour concrete on Friday 22 July

IMG_20160718_171857.jpg
IMG_20160718_171912.jpg
IMG_20160722_133151.jpg

Form work looks good. I haven'y seen Thai use much ply for their beam form work. Normally they use steel forms or even try and get away with timber planks. Well done you will get a good off form finish

The back drop picture looks great with all the rice fields in the distance. Are they your rice fields

pipoz
pipoz

Postby tertim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Form work looks good. I haven'y seen Thai use much ply for their beam form work. Normally they use steel forms or even try and get away with timber planks. Well done you will get a good off form finish

The back drop picture looks great with all the rice fields in the distance. Are they your rice fields

pipoz[/quote]

Hi pipoz

Yes the plastic covered plywood is great and very easy to work with, as you say say should get a good finish. The cost of the plywood and and timber was about B4000

The rice fields in the background belong to the MIL, well about 30 Rai up to the first tree line.

We have 5 loads of fill ordered for tomorrow so we can crack on with the slab, looking forward to finally getting out of the ground.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi pipoz

Yes the plastic covered plywood is great and very easy to work with, as you say say should get a good finish. The cost of the plywood and and timber was about B4000

The rice fields in the background belong to the MIL, well about 30 Rai up to the first tree line.

We have 5 loads of fill ordered for tomorrow so we can crack on with the slab, looking forward to finally getting out of the ground.

Pop kan mai[/quote]

Hi and I gather the MIL is reference to the Wife or the TG owning the rice fields?

Either way its a beautiful nice landscape to look out on in the evenings.

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Postby tertim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi and I gather the MIL is reference to the Wife or the TG owning the rice fields?

Regards

pipoz[/quote]

Hi Pipoz
MIL (mother in law ) she also owns a small strip next but one to us which fronts onto the road and connects to her land which would be ideal to make a road entrance to her property. People are starting to build on the outskirts of our village so I think it would be a good opportunity for the future.

I intend to build storeroom / workshop with a sala on top to enjoy the lovely views, I will look forward to enjoying my sundower there.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:53 pm

tertim wrote:Hi and I gather the MIL is reference to the Wife or the TG owning the rice fields?

Regards

pipoz

Hi Pipoz
MIL (mother in law ) she also owns a small strip next but one to us which fronts onto the road and connects to her land which would be ideal to make a road entrance to her property. People are starting to build on the outskirts of our village so I think it would be a good opportunity for the future.

I intend to build storeroom / workshop with a sala on top to enjoy the lovely views, I will look forward to enjoying my sundower there.

Pop kan mai[/quote]

Good idea,

I am currently doing the same, starting with a Workshop come Studio, which will then get extended with Patio, BBQ & Garden area and who knows what else, for male entertainment at sun-downer time. Unfortunately, I wont have your nice views. :roll: Well maybe I can improvise somewhat, with views on two legs :P if she doesn't kill me first :D

pipoz
pipoz

Postby tertim » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:21 pm

Our local man who supplies our fill dirt has told us he's not working for the next 4 weeks all his workmen are off growing rice. So we'll have to postpone the ground slab for now and get on with the columns, I would have prefered to cast the slab first and then the columns but you can't always get what you want (reminds me of a song)

Our builder came to see us yesterday to discuss his quote for our house, we settled on a figure of B130,000 labour only for him to take over once the columns are in place he will then complete the works apart from the electrics, plumbing and painting.
IMG_20160724_165231.jpg
First column shuttering
IMG_20160724_173506.jpg
Chain gang
IMG_20160724_173427.jpg
Team work
IMG_20160725_115601.jpg
First one done 14 more to go.
IMG_20160725_115623.jpg
Casting kicker
Attachments
IMG_20160725_115903.jpg
Kicker done ready for shuttering
tertim

Postby pipoz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:11 pm

tertim wrote:Our local man who supplies our fill dirt has told us he's not working for the next 4 weeks all his workmen are off growing rice. So we'll have to postpone the ground slab for now and get on with the columns, I would have prefered to cast the slab first and then the columns but you can't always get what you want (reminds me of a song)

Our builder came to see us yesterday to discuss his quote for our house, we settled on a figure of B130,000 labour only for him to take over once the columns are in place he will then complete the works apart from the electrics, plumbing and painting.
IMG_20160724_165231.jpg
IMG_20160724_173506.jpg
IMG_20160724_173427.jpg
IMG_20160725_115601.jpg
IMG_20160725_115623.jpg

Hi tertim,

The Kicker is a great idea. Haven't seen many use it in Thailand

What height are your Columns above finished slab level? 3.0m ??

pipoz
pipoz

Postby tertim » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:22 am

Hi tertim,

The Kicker is a great idea. Haven't seen many use it in Thailand

What height are your Columns above finished slab level? 3.0m ??

pipoz[/quote]

Hi Pipoz
As a young junior engineer we used to set out the grid lines for the foreman carpenter he would then measure out for the columns and walls and cast the kickers. Being the lowly junior it was always my job to go back and check the foremans measurements who always resented my intrusions into his domain!!!
The kicker gives a positive and accurate fixing to hold the shuttering in place.

The columns are overall 3.15M which will give us 3.00M+ between finished floor tile level and ceiling.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby pipoz » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 am

Hi Pipoz
As a young junior engineer we used to set out the grid lines for the foreman carpenter he would then measure out for the columns and walls and cast the kickers. Being the lowly junior it was always my job to go back and check the foremans measurements who always resented my intrusions into his domain!!!
The kicker gives a positive and accurate fixing to hold the shuttering in place.

The columns are overall 3.15M which will give us 3.00M+ between finished floor tile level and ceiling.

Pop kan mai[/quote]

Funny, I did the same thing as young engineer, but that was so long ago. Setting out for kickers, holding down bolts, cast in plates and block-outs

You know, I still remember the name and face of the first General Foreman and his Foreman offsider, that I worked with, back in 1981 (George I....). Fantastic and knowledgeable guy, who smoked like a train with one cigarette in each hand some times but new it all

I set my main ceiling areas at 3.15m above finished floor level (FFL), with a perimeter pelmet area at 2.95m above FFL. That extra ceiling height of around 3.0m gives a much better internal space look. Nothing looks cheaper, than low ceilings

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:18 am

pipoz wrote:Hi Pipoz

Pop kan mai

Funny, I did the same thing as young engineer, but that was so long ago. Setting out for kickers, holding down bolts, cast in plates and block-outs

You know, I still remember the name and face of the first General Foreman and his Foreman offsider, that I worked with, back in 1981 (George I....). Fantastic and knowledgeable guy, who smoked like a train with one cigarette in each hand some times but new it all

I set my main ceiling areas at 3.15m above finished floor level (FFL), with a perimeter pelmet area at 2.95m above FFL. That extra ceiling height of around 3.0m gives a much better internal space look. Nothing looks cheaper, than low ceilings

pipoz

Interesting, due to the workshop being incorporated into the house and the desire to be able to manoeuvre full plywood sheets easily our finished wall hight is at 3.8 metres so we have a lot of space to play with. We will also have a raised area, or light well, with a maximum of over 5 meters so we are having fun planning tray or false ceilings.
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story