House near Rattanaburi, surin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, fredlk

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby tertim » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am

hello Tertim,

I'd suggest painting the box black on the inside and covering the collector with a glass plate.
It will further improve heating the water.

Another item I'd improve on is to have the water hoses being tied to a steel pipe (from collector to the tank)..Always good to have water-lines as straight and short as possible.

Looks good, I like your experiments with this.

Cheers,
Luc[/quote]


Hi Luc

Thank you for your comments much appreciated, here's an update on my project so far:-

When I decided to build a solar water heating system I had a quick look on you tube and discovered some guys in Nepal had built a very simple solar heating system which I thought would be perfect for me, so with no further research I jumped in and built one to their design!! big mistake, a bit more research would have shown some of the shortcomings of their system and after two attempts was unable to get it working at all.

So back to the drawing board (internet) to build a new system, I rather liked the simplicity of the thermosyphon idea (if it's designed properly) but decided on a pumped system as it you gives you much more flexibility in positioning the hot water storage tank , the only downside being the additional equipment (pump.solar panel, charge controller and differential thermostat)

So now I have my MK3 version up and running and what a difference we get full sun onto the solar collector from 10.00 until 16.00 and have a full tank(200L) of hot water @60 deg c, I still have to fit the glass yet which will increase the efficiency for those not so sunny days.


Pop kan mai

IMG_20170224_085651.jpg
Overall view of the system
IMG_20170224_085637.jpg
The tilting mechanism
IMG_20170224_085603.jpg
Insulated flow and return pipes

IMG_20170224_085556.jpg
Storage tank
IMG_20170224_085545.jpg
Control box
Attachments
IMG_20170224_085618.jpg
Showing the 20W solar which provides power for the control box
tertim
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:10 am
Location: Rattanaburi, surin

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby pipoz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Tertim

Your wood burning stove is a great idea

I was wondering on whether you have any ideas on how to make a "Smoker", the ones like they use on all those American food shows like "Dinners Drive Ins..."

I am looking to make an small/effective but not expensive Smoke for my soon to be made "home made pork product"

pipoz
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:02 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi Tertim

Your wood burning stove is a great idea

I was wondering on whether you have any ideas on how to make a "Smoker", the ones like they use on all those American food shows like "Dinners Drive Ins..."

I am looking to make an small/effective but not expensive Smoke for my soon to be made "home made pork product"

pipoz

Are you looking to make a hot or cold smoker? Hot is much easier, cold is usually quite a bit bigger and more complex.

I've usually used hot smokers they have been good for chicken, sausages and mackerel.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby pipoz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:50 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
pipoz wrote:Hi Tertim

Your wood burning stove is a great idea

I was wondering on whether you have any ideas on how to make a "Smoker", the ones like they use on all those American food shows like "Dinners Drive Ins..."

I am looking to make an small/effective but not expensive Smoke for my soon to be made "home made pork product"

pipoz

Are you looking to make a hot or cold smoker? Hot is much easier, cold is usually quite a bit bigger and more complex.

I've usually used hot smokers they have been good for chicken, sausages and mackerel.


Hi STWW

I only ones I have seen are presumably Hot. I am not familiar with Cold ones

I will be using it mainly to smoke pork and beef. So any ideas are welcome

pipoz
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby tertim » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:01 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi Tertim

Your wood burning stove is a great idea

I was wondering on whether you have any ideas on how to make a "Smoker", the ones like they use on all those American food shows like "Dinners Drive Ins..."

I am looking to make an small/effective but not expensive Smoke for my soon to be made "home made pork product"

pipoz
.


HI Pipoz

I'm afraid I can't help you with your smoker I have no experience of smoking food, sounds like an interesting project though, If it's any help I used 2mm plate for my barbeque and 4mm for the oven. Good luck I would be interested to see your smoker when finished.

Pop kan mai
tertim
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:10 am
Location: Rattanaburi, surin

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:42 pm

pipoz wrote:
Hi STWW

I only ones I have seen are presumably Hot. I am not familiar with Cold ones

I will be using it mainly to smoke pork and beef. So any ideas are welcome

pipoz


Cold smoke usually involves something like a smoke house with the fire well away from it.

Hot smoke does chicken brests in about 20 minutes.

I've got a very small lightweight Primus smoker about 50% bigger than a standard billy can and have used a couple of smokers in Japan that sit on a gas stove, one has burned through from use, I think the other is still OK

I will be making one when I'm here full time.

It will include a smoke box that has a well fitting lid (not a hermetic seal though), a removable wood chipping tray, a drip tray to keep all juices and fat off the base and wood chip tray, one or two SS grids to either put meet on or to hang it from, and SS "S" hooks

All in all quite a simple design and build.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby tertim » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Here's an update on my solar hot water system :-

Fitted some polycarbonate hollow core sheets (global house) 5 days ago, now the collector is reasonably air tight and protected from the wind and hopefully the rain when it comes. Also upgraded the differential thermostat to monitor the temperature in the collector and the storage tank, I have set it to switch on the pump when the temperature in the collector is <5 deg C and switch off when the temperatures are within 2 deg c this ensures the maximum amount of heat is collected to the tank

It has been very hot and sunny the past 4 days with little or no clouds to obscure the sun, so every day by about 15.00 the temperature in the storage tank has reached 60 deg c which i'm very happy with, will have to wait and see how it performs on the not so sunny days.

Pop kan mai


IMG_20170304_145428.jpg
Solar collector now fitted with polycarbonate hollow core sheet.
IMG_20170304_150537.jpg
Differential thermostat showing water temperature in storage tank.
tertim
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:10 am
Location: Rattanaburi, surin

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby roy.sokolowski » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:46 am

For a cold smoker all you need is two metal boxes, electric hot plate, and a cast iron skillet. One box is where the meat is placed, the smaller box is attached to the side of the larger box and needs to be big enough to hold the hotplate and skillet (and maybe two feet tall). Pop rivet or screw the two boxes together and make an ~ 3 inch diameter hole in the side of the smaller box (near the top) that goes through to the box where the meats will be placed.

To smoke turn on the hotplate and put a chunk of wood in the skillet. You now have a cold smoker.
roy.sokolowski
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 am

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:37 am

roy.sokolowski wrote:For a cold smoker all you need is two metal boxes, electric hot plate, and a cast iron skillet. One box is where the meat is placed, the smaller box is attached to the side of the larger box and needs to be big enough to hold the hotplate and skillet (and maybe two feet tall). Pop rivet or screw the two boxes together and make an ~ 3 inch diameter hole in the side of the smaller box (near the top) that goes through to the box where the meats will be placed.

To smoke turn on the hotplate and put a chunk of wood in the skillet. You now have a cold smoker.

Sorry, no you haven't.
First, You need more separation between the two. Yours will provide too much heat
Also if you use a chunk of wood very soon you do not have smoke. You need small pieces or shavings.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby roy.sokolowski » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 am

Not going to argue, if you want a lower temp increase the separation with a pipe. We used a smoker setup similar to this to smoke hundreds of pounds of salmon, trout, and smelt growing up in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. A three inch diameter (6 inches in length) chunk of alder or apple wood will smoke for several hours (4-8) with this setup.
roy.sokolowski
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 am

Previous

Return to Your Building Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests