Building an apartment block at BangSaray

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building an apartment block at BangSaray

Postby kwarmsuk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:31 pm

First let me say hello to all members on CTH . I have been an avid reader for a longtime but now become a contributor.

Today i have completed on a 1 rai plot of land 300 metres from the village centre of Bangsaray some 15? KM south of Pattaya.The plot
is 5 min walk from the beach. It is 23 metre frontage by 80 metre depth. It is a lovely rectangular shape.

I have just sold a leasehold hotel business and now plan to build my own Freehold 12 bedroom apartment type resort with a 20 metre pool
and a 3 bedroom two storey house for my family to live in. I have previously built two projects in thailand before but nothing this big.

I have a Thai wife and 2 half UK, Half Thai boys who are 4 and 2 years old.We will be looking for a suitable private school near Bangsaray
for them with an English programme.

The plan is to earn enough money to live in Thailand comfortably without killing ourselves with stress like we have been doing running
the 30 room resort we just sold on one of the islands.We don't need to earn a fortune. I will be targeting middle class Thais and discerning
foreigners as our guests and we will have lovely landscaped gardens and peace and tranquility.

My budget is 17 to 18 million baht total and the project will come in at around 600 sq metres plus an 80 sq metre pool.I have no idea if this will be sufficient.

The land purchase price and perimeter wall have cost 6.8 million already so i have around 10 million baht to complete this project.

My budget hopefully will include furniture and aircons etc and i am hoping to keep the building costs around 10,000b/sqm by using
a local builder on day rate and he has a team of workers on day rate also. Looks like 8 to 10 people a day.Also i will project manage and buy the materials
when they are on specials which i have previously proven can save a fortune.

The land was backfilled 8 years ago and has settled well. The land has a few lovely mature trees and i have planned the resort around these all except one which
i will see if it can be moved rather than cut down.

We will start by building a 3 bedroom two storey house for ourselves and then hopefully sell our current house near maprachan lake. The build is not
dependent on selling this, although it would take off a lot of pressure financialy.

I actually signed a provisional agreement to buy this land from a local business lady a few months ago and she kindly let me build a perimeter wall around the land before i had completed on the deal so i am ahead of the game. The perimeter wall is concrete block and skimmed on the inside. Its 1.7 metre tall and came in at 1700b/linear metre so total cost was around 270,000b. I am very happy with the quality and it took around 6 to 8 workers 23 days to build.

The plans are currently being drawn by the guy at the amphur and are in for some amendments at the moment. My friend the builder says they will be rubber stamped
in the next 10 days.(we will see) Cost for the plans are 55k baht. Im quite happy with that price for 2 buildings.

I will post pictures over the coming months and look forward to sharing my experiences with you all and also receiving helpful advice from you guys who have trodden this path before me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and i look forward to your comments. :D
kwarmsuk

Re: Building an apartment block at BangSaray

Postby kiwimartin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi kwarmsuk.
As a 'discerning foreigner' (well thats how I like to see myself :? ) this looks like an interesting build - and maybe a weekend out of Bangkok at your retreat some time soon. Best of luck - and looking forward to your first photos.
Cheers,
Martin
kiwimartin

Postby kwarmsuk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:48 pm

So not much has happened since my last post until today when the drillers turned up to drill a deep well.
I have negotiated a 5000b fee for finding water and i pay 1400b a metre if they hit water.
They hit dirty water at 30 metres but have kept drilling to get to the clear stuff. The boss of the firm seems to think he will hit
clear and plentiful water at around 60m. I hope so.
The building permits should be issued tomorrow and the builder says he will start on Thursday.
We have now negotiated a per metre labour price and i buy the materials because in the past he has used low
quality inferior materials and this will stop that happening.
kwarmsuk

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:43 pm

kwarmsuk wrote:So not much has happened since my last post until today when the drillers turned up to drill a deep well.
I have negotiated a 5000b fee for finding water and i pay 1400b a metre if they hit water.
They hit dirty water at 30 metres but have kept drilling to get to the clear stuff. The boss of the firm seems to think he will hit
The building permits should be issued tomorrow and the builder says he will start on Thursday.
We have now negotiated a per metre labour price and i buy the materials because in the past he has used low

So the exercise to find water will have cost you circa 90k baht. plus pump plus bringing it out. :(
Without wanting to sound like the eyecatcher how are you justifying that cost against for example monthly water deliveries.
our drinking water delivery costs us 30bt a week and mains water about 35bt a month.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:32 am

eyecatcher wrote:
kwarmsuk wrote:So not much has happened since my last post until today when the drillers turned up to drill a deep well.

So the exercise to find water will have cost you circa 90k baht. plus pump plus bringing it out. :(
Without wanting to sound like the eyecatcher how are you justifying that cost against for example monthly water deliveries.
our drinking water delivery costs us 30bt a week and mains water about 35bt a month.

:oops: sorry that was a silly question; on the basis that its an apartment block you are building and the cost represents 0.5%of your budget.

I really do need to go to bed earlier.
eyecatcher

Postby kwarmsuk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:51 pm

:oops: sorry that was a silly question; on the basis that its an apartment block you are building and the cost represents 0.5%of your budget.

I really do need to go to bed earlier.

I know it will take a while to repay the outlay, but i have been told that the city water is regularly off and having guests in rooms without water is not high on my agenda. It would be a sure way to get negative reviews. I am assuming my water bills would be circa 3000b so repay time is around 3 years in monetary terms but priceless in peace of mind terms.
kwarmsuk

Return to Your Building Story