Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Postby Alan » Sun May 28, 2017 4:03 am

stww, I like the look of your front wall. do you have the price per meter with labor cost?

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun May 28, 2017 8:18 am

Alan wrote:stww, I like the look of your front wall. do you have the price per meter with labor cost?

Alan

No, but I have an overall price for the wall including painting and gate of 240,000 with the gate being quoted as 65,000 as part of the overall price. We did get a separate quote from a different stainless steel worker of 110,000 for the gate only.

The length of the wall is somewhere between 50 and 60 metres, the gate opening is 6.5 metres
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 am

Continuing the process of tiling

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

The workshop shower

IMG_1149.JPG

The linear drain in the workshop shower

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

Preparing for posting at 12:13 Monday, 03 July 2017
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:28 am

Yet more tiling detail

The transitions between rooms use a different pattern

IMG_1153.JPG

Badly cut tile that will be replaced

IMG_1154.JPG

On suite shower and toilet

IMG_1155.JPG

On suite shower and toilet pictures

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

Living/kitchen looking into the workshop

IMG_1150.JPG

Our bedroom

IMG_1159.JPG

Preparing for posting at 12:19 Monday, 03 July 2017
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:28 am

Starting on the workshop tiles

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

We do not have enough of the water damaged tiles to complete the workshop so need three different patterns

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

SWMBO is now cleaning the tiles in the living-room/kitchen

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

Preparing for posting at 06:31 Tuesday, 04 July 2017
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:58 pm

SWMBO is cleaning the workshop, probably for the first and last time.

IMG_1170.JPG

Bedroom lighting, we have colour changing and dimming the down lights.

IMG_1171.JPG

Living room kitchen dimmable downlights and pelmet lights

IMG_1172.JPG

Another view of the bedroom

IMG_1173.JPG

The extractor fan for the workshop shower and toilet

IMG_1174.JPG

The beginning of the big problems with the electrics

IMG_1175.JPG

And night view of the house showing the light coming through top windows.

IMG_1176.JPG

Preparing for posting at 22:01 Wednesday, 05 July 2017
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:57 pm

A better idea of the living room light well showing the indirect lighting idea and warmwhite dimmable downlighting

IMG_1178.JPG

Looking up into the top level ceiling area

IMG_1179.JPG

Looking up into the top level ceiling area and where the in house water tank will go.

IMG_1180.JPG

The one colour changing light outside the storage room and workshop.

IMG_1181.JPG

The bedroom

IMG_1182.JPG

My paint room and hot water producing area

IMG_1183.JPG

The main electrical supply boxes and the electrical problem

IMG_1184.JPG

Our electrical wiring installer subcontractor is probably competent at putting wiring and sockets in, his work as far as that went looked OK.

But after installing the 4 CU's (Consumer Units) when asked which breaker controlled which circuit his reply was that he didn't know and we could work it out ourselves. He has been onsite and working on the wiring intermittently for about 9 months so you can imagine we were less than happy with that answer. Much worse than that was that when any circuit was switched on, with or without anything plugged in after a random time the ECLB tripped. This meant that though we could have power to the house it was dangerous.

A couple of days later he called up and asked when he could come back to write the names on the labels, we suggested that he would be better to contact the building supervisor. We didn't tell him directly that he would never be coming back as his complaining and work ethic was too bad and that the departure at 1:00pm with the comments on labelling was the last straw.

We have been in Japan for the last 3 months but our builder has said that he's now got the house wiring working correctly, we will find out in about 3 weeks.

Preparing for posting at 00:03 Sunday, 09 July 2017
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:52 am

STW, is this a 3-phase install?

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 am

Alan wrote:STW, is this a 3-phase install?

Alan

No it's a single phase. Probably a 15/45 meter would be sufficient as all the lighting is LED and the ceiling fans are DC. The only power hungry items will be a couple of AC units, probably only 1 in use at 1 time, an induction cooker, maximum of 2 surfaces at 1 time, my 'baby' air compressor, a DeWalt Planer Thicknesser or a 10" table saw 6" planer,

IMG_1223.JPG
"baby' air compressor

IMG_1225.JPG
DeWalt Planer Thicknesser

IMG_1224.JPG
10" table saw 6" planer
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:37 am

Hello Jerome,

Looking very good, thinking 2-3 months to start moving in?

For quite some time been wanting to ask about the machines, thanks for the pictures. The jointer / table saw looks like a higher end (semi) professional machine to me, although maybe 20 - 30 years old..(correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I am well on the way finishing my build of a format table saw..hence the interest.. What brand is your saw?

Kind regards,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 am

schuimpge wrote:Hello Jerome,

Looking very good, thinking 2-3 months to start moving in?

For quite some time been wanting to ask about the machines, thanks for the pictures. The jointer / table saw looks like a higher end (semi) professional machine to me, although maybe 20 - 30 years old..(correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I am well on the way finishing my build of a format table saw..hence the interest.. What brand is your saw?

Kind regards,
Luc

Hi Luc.
Do tell me more about your project.

We are probably at least 6 to 9 months away from moving as we will only get 7 weeks this visit then not back until February.

I think that the Planer / table saw (it's not a jointer as it's British :lol: ) is probably double that or more as I bought it second hand about 40 years ago and I think it was probably over 20 years old at that time.
The company is Dodd machine tools and it's listed as being set up in 1962 in Malden Essex the last accounts were filed in 1999.
P3202958.jpg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:54 am

We do have a little progress, the bathroom storage cupboard now has its doors fitted.

IMG_1226.JPG
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Hi Luc.
Do tell me more about your project.

We are probably at least 6 to 9 months away from moving as we will only get 7 weeks this visit then not back until February.

I think that the Planer / table saw (it's not a jointer as it's British :lol: ) is probably double that or more as I bought it second hand about 40 years ago and I think it was probably over 20 years old at that time.
The company is Dodd machine tools and it's listed as being set up in 1962 in Malden Essex the last accounts were filed in 1999.
P3202958.jpg

Wow, that's way older than I am..lol.
Tried searching, but only get some info about when the company ceased to exist so far.
Vintage Machine for sure..

My format table saw,.. that's quite a journey, but getting close to the finish line. After having built 2 normal table saws, with increasing precision, it still was not there where I wanted it to be. So I was looking to get building or changing my second iteration. Then I came across the first video of Hector's new saw and thought that's it.. I want that saw...Started late december, and I'm able to use the saw now for rip-cuts, with the first parts cut on the saw today for finishing the sliding table. Building from plans that Hector made, he's an 81 year old retired man in Uruguay and it's been an absolute joy building the saw from his plans while also getting his support for any and all questions, problems, changes I made. We have almost daily contact on the build-progress and lots of changes and improvements I suggested (and tested myself of course) might find their way into the next revision of the plans. (But all those changes are already available when you read through the build-log I mention below..)

His plans went 'live' last year December, and while initially they sent the plans out for free and asking for a donation, (Which I did of course), they now sell the plans.
The price is 25 Euro I think, which is an absolute bargain for what you get. It's a full featured format table saw with everything on it, including extension tables, short and long fences, integrated dust-collection, etc..Stunning piece of design to me and it's sure quite easy to build with basic woodworking tools and skills.

My build-log from the very first purchases (motor, pillow blocks, steel for the arbor etc) to where I am now is documented here: http://www.ibuildit.ca/ibuildit-forum/v ... php?id=929

It's a long read, but scrolling through for the pictures only gives quite a good idea of how it all came together.
Right now, I got a working 3hp 3-phase table-saw, already very precise and very easy to use. Everything included (and I went overboard with ball screws and other more expensive options, I think I spent about 750 USD to build it. Got pretty much everything I need to finish it, so that's about the final figure it will cost me.
Next couple of weeks I hope to finish the sliding table and 1 more fence for cross-cutting.

Website of Hector and Andre (who build the very first version): www.aw-thinkbold.com

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 pm

That looks like a seriously difficult tablesaw. I take my hat off to you about the build. I don't think I would attempt something quite so complex. The more difficult things that I've built all my workbench which is based on an MFT style hole pattern, my sliding compound mitre saw stand which has a reversible MFT style top, and my movable work under shelving storage box holders.

I think I saw that you have a CNC as well, is that correct?

Anyway time to get going with my end of semester tests so I'll get back to you later.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Hello Jerome,
Yes indeed, CNC I built last year. That's way more of a challenge as I had zero experience and all built without drawings.
Absolute fun to get it all done and working though.

Full build thread: http://www.ibuildit.ca/ibuildit-forum/v ... php?id=622

I like iBuildit as you might have noticed. Very nice group of regular contributors and lots of ideas and suggestions

Cheers
Luc
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story