1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:24 pm

MGV12 wrote:
BKKBILL wrote:
claynlr wrote:What's an "ong"?

Not to be confused with the 'b prefix' version ... unless it's one heck of a party you are planning :lol:

Or going to a temple :D
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:56 am

The first of the month so yeeeha.......I have my limited ' unlimited ' internet access back again so can prattle on a little with an everyday tale of simple folk.

A few nights back we had a call at 9 pm from the wife's brother in law. He was in trouble and needed our help. Could we come immediately to the house of the builder whose services we had declined.

Upon arrival said builder and wife were a bit pissed and hunkering over an almost empty bottle of Hong Tong. A woman who had been former poo yai ban was also present but sober. The tale they told was that wife's brother in law had been telling everyone that we had declined their services because they were too expensive. Their good reputation was therefore suffering and they were going to sue for defamation and get the quaking in his boots brother in law locked up for a year. They also conceded it was none of our business and they had no axe to grind with us. We said little ( waste of time talking to drunks ) except to say that we chose the other builder because we felt he had made a lot of good suggestions and seemed to be in tune with where we were going. In actual fact we both got the same bad vibe from the declined builder which subsequent events have vindicated.

Seeing as how the pissed up builder and his wife were not to be placated we left taking the brother in law with us and that if they wished to pursue matters with the brother in law they should see a lawyer and proceed during office hours.

Nothing to do with us but naturally we need to show solidarity with brother in law who confesses that he did tell those who asked him why we had chosen builder no 2 but that he had not busied himself telling everyone. Of course it is a total load of bollocks and we are not concerned but it illustrates sone of the issues you might bump into when dealing with country bumpkins.

Anyways ...... this morning whilst we were on site supervising a delivery of superblocks we got chatting to a pleasant old bloke who was running an errand for our builder. He had a tale of woe. Not being a builder himself he had allowed a close relative of his to persuade him to use the same builder we had declined. The result was that this ' builder ' had left his employees unsupervised with the result that being in a hurry to finish that had started building on the beams only 1 day after they had been poured with the result that no sooner were the walls complete than the beams cracked. The builders had left and the head builder refused to do anything about it. Lucky for this pleasant old man he had kept back the final payment which had to be used to demolish most of his new hone to put things right. I suggested that before he had hired a builder he should have looked around a bit and if he saw any completed builds he liked to talk to the owners and get their builders name and number.
' Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it ? ' he laughed
' besides.. .....I trusted by relative .......' He looked at me pleadingly and he got my sympathy.

So ....... despite not following my own advice re finding a builder , ( due to Ms bangyai wishing to hurry and brother in law trying to help ) I feel that so far we have had a lucky escape.

I have to say also how useful this site has been. Like the old man above I knew nothing about building with cement ( still know very little ) but just talking to the builder about cure times , plastic wrapping and slump tests has been useful because at least it gives the impression that I know enough nor to be fobbed off with any bad practices. As it is , I think things have proceeded a bit quicker than I would have prefered by about 3 days but I was away in Mae Sot for a couple and when the cats away the mice play. Usually l am on site three times a day....and if something critical is being done I stick around. Mrs bangyai stays on site all day keeping an eye on things and signing for deliveries. My son in law and his wife also return today and have been useful on keeping an eye on things. It was on his advice that we put in two lengths of extra rebar into all the beams to ensure we would not have any problems later.Our builder also has given a one year guarentee period on the build.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:13 pm

While work slowly progresses on our roof frame we took time out to track down two local Ong makers. They both charge the same price. 1000 baht for a 1800 litre Ong including free delivery. Although both places usually only make them in red they were prepared to make us one up without the dye if we didn't mind waiting a week. No problem with that so all we need to do now is decide on a color and build a suitable base.
Attachments
WP_20150402_003.jpg
WP_20150402_001.jpg
WP_20150402_004.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:24 pm

And now children ....... do you know how they make an Ong ?

Well.....I didn't until today. Upon asking Mr Ong whispered his esoteric secret in my ear.
Well I never.........simple when you know how and I never would have guessed ...... but then to be honest I had never really sat and thought about it before.

All I can say is if you have any friends with a suitably large bell end there is work for them in the Ong business....but I've already said too much so forget I said that.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Just as a thought ......... in a couple of days we will be laying the roof tiles ( Lon cu sheets ). Naturally, the builder has this told me all the screws used will have a rubber washer. I was thinking it would not hurt if I armed the tile layer with a grout gun loaded with silicon to add a dab around every hole before proceeding to screw in anything.
Any reason not to do this ?
Bangyai

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:38 am

Bangyai wrote:Any reason not to do this ?

Absolutely none as long as the correct silicon is used, the question is will they do it or will it "make the job too hard". Be warned those rubber washers perish over time and the correct silicon sealant makes them simple to replace.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Bangyai » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Bangyai wrote:Any reason not to do this ?

Absolutely none as long as the correct silicon is used, the question is will they do it or will it "make the job too hard". Be warned those rubber washers perish over time and the correct silicon sealant makes them simple to replace.

Yes , that was my thought too ........ fine in theory but a truly massive increase in labour ( 5 seconds ) in practice :roll:

Nonetheless , as a gun and tube of silicon can be had for 100 baht I will make the investment and add a string sling to it that the tiler can hang around his neck. I will then get prostrate on the dirt at his feet and beg him to use the gun as requested since the alternative for him ( emptying any unused silicon up his rear orifice ) will benefit neither of us ....... especially him.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Well the roof framework was finally completed today and the Bali style roof proved to be a real headache for the guy ( plus 1 assistant ) that had to build it. In fact , it was almost his nemesis. Day after hot day he was perched up there under an absolutely blazing sun welding bits of steel together. 10 out of 10 for effort. His workmanship was also pretty good , scoring about 8.5. However , his ability to calculate angles and measures let him down a bit so I can only give him 6 out of 10 for that.

So what has gone wrong ? Well...in short....the rear roof projection is 50 cm longer than the front one so it looks like this:
Attachments
WP_20150404_007.jpg
WP_20150404_006.jpg
WP_20150404_005.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Can't really blame him as neither myself or the head builder gave him any plans to work with at all. I did spend about 30 minutes with the contractor showing him the google sketchup design on my computer whilst he took down notes and measurements but these got lost in translation so that the only real measurement the guy who did the work had was the roof height. When it became clear he was not sure how to proceed I spent an hour on site going over it with him until we reached an acceptable compromise. After he had completed the front and I was satisfied he said he would do the rear likewise. Unfortunately, he forgot that the rear 3 posts are set 2.5 meters out from the next three unlike the front where the distance is only 2 meters......hence the mistake.

So....a cock up. Fortunately it is impossible to notice this from the front since the sister in law as house is next door and the other side is jungle. Only notices if it is pointed out and you have a helicopter.Providing the rain stays out I can live with it.

Apart from that everything else o.k. A glance at the pictures will show that I have had a steel walkway run the length of the house so that if anyone needs to get up in the attic to perform maintenance or run cables they won,t fall through the ceiling and land on the bed between me and Ms bangyai.
Attachments
WP_20150404_014.jpg
WP_20150404_012.jpg
WP_20150404_011.jpg
WP_20150404_010.jpg
Bangyai

Postby kknaj » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:40 am

Nice looking house plan.

How much more does it cost to raise the floor like that? vs 60cm of infill into the ground?

Why do you think the price will end up at around 1.2 mil not including boundary walls etc? Do you plan expensive kitchen and fittings? I would have thought with a cheaper roof that would save quite a bit.
kknaj

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:23 am

Bangyai wrote:Yes , that was my thought too ........ fine in theory but a truly massive increase in labour ( 5 seconds ) in practice

Nonetheless , as a gun and tube of silicon can be had for 100 baht I will make the investment and add a string sling to it that the tiler can hang around his neck. I will then get prostrate on the dirt at his feet and beg him to use the gun as requested since the alternative for him ( emptying any unused silicon up his rear orifice ) will benefit neither of us ....... especially him.

If you want to seal under the rubber washer I would recomend to use Sikaflex rather than Silicon sealent it is a much better product and it can be painted if necessary.

PP
pattayapope

Postby Bangyai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:29 am

kknaj wrote:Nice looking house plan.

How much more does it cost to raise the floor like that? vs 60cm of infill into the ground?

Why do you think the price will end up at around 1.2 mil not including boundary walls etc? Do you plan expensive kitchen and fittings? I would have thought with a cheaper roof that would save quite a bit.

I couldn't really say how much more it costs to raise up the house because I have no experience of building on the ground level. The only real extra cost is in the concrete plank shuttering on which you pour the floor. Looking at my receipts I believe we paid 15,000 baht for the precast concrete planks to cover 80 square meters. Against this you might save some money but not having to pay for a cement base around anything you build on the ground. Some people don't like the idea of a cement base around the house but it keeps water away from the foundations and can help prevent rising damp. Also , it gives access to any plumbing under the house and puts the base out of was reach of termites ( plooak ) except at the posts which can be treated. Apart from that I personally think it looks better but that is a matter of taste.

As for my estimate of 1,200,000 baht that is the ' move in ' price. Apart from the build We are going to need some new furniture air conditioners , built in kitchen etc and of course we have had to pay for water and electricity to be connected. It all adds up.
The actual build looks like it is heading for around the 900,000 mark. We have pretty well paid for most of the big items but there are a few more things to come. Will give the total cost and breakdown on completion which could be in about 4 weeks from now.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:37 am

pattayapope wrote:
Bangyai wrote:Yes , that was my thought too ........ fine in theory but a truly massive increase in labour ( 5 seconds ) in practice

If you want to seal under the rubber washer I would recomend to use Sikaflex rather than Silicon sealent it is a much better product and it can be painted if necessary.

PP

Thanks for the advice , I'll look out for that tomorrow at Thai watsadu. The roof work has been delayed because we are waiting on a delivery of the roof tiles so today they have started doing the laying the AAC blocks on the windowless walls. Have to go order the windows and doors tomorrow ( another 20,000 baht ) earlier than expected. Both of us are getting a bit fed up with it now and just want it to be over so we can move in. In this small town it is very difficult finding anywhere to eat ( no fridge in the rented house ) and microwaved meals from the big 7/11 at the garage up the road are getting pretty boring.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:19 pm

On the other hand , seeing the protein packed meal some people were eating today those microwave meals don't seem so boring.
Attachments
WP_20150406_005.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:49 pm

On my midday visit to the build I saw the 6 blokes laying the AAC blocks had made fast progress. The bottom course is set in cement then every other course is attached to the upright posts. Between each course metal pins join the blocks together for extra bonding. They are not using the tinned glue but working with what everyone else uses around here a kind of lightweight sticky morter. The top course is to be joined to the steel framework of the roof.
Attachments
WP_20150406_004.jpg
WP_20150406_002.jpg
WP_20150406_006.jpg
Bangyai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story