1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby Bangyai » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Yesterday saw the beams poured which required 7 cubic meters of CPAC. This time I asked for and received a slump test. The result was not a perfect slump but a half collapsed one. Nonetheless , it was such a blazingly hot day ( 38 C ) that to be workable I felt that was good enough and that in this case a perfect slump mix might have dried out too quickly. As it is, with the continued hot weather the builder has said he will water down the beams three times a day until Sunday to prevent them drying out too quickly before the shuttering is removed. The shuttering under the beams will stay in place for s couple of weeks but the rest to be removed when I return from Mae Sot on Monday.

Just as well we decided to shift the foundations over to the left of the plot so that I could squeeze my carport in otherwise the CPAC truck would have had difficulty reaching the back of the plot.
Attachments
WP_20150319_004.jpg
WP_20150319_003.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:13 pm

Took a walk across the fields at the back of our plot to a clump of trees hiding a couple of old ponds.
Attachments
WP_20150318_006.jpg
WP_20150318_004.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:26 pm

Also , the 9 rings for our three drainage pits were delivered ready for installation sometime later. I have found it impossible to stay at the build all day recently on account of the extreme heat so only visit 3 times a day before retreating to my air conditioned bubble. Can't upload much either as still not found an internet cafe not maxed out with screaming kids on term break. So......still using my Nokia Lumia 1320 to update the thread. Currently in Tak heading for Mae Sot tomorrow. Was going to be a pleasant drive but the drive belt to the air con shredded half way leaving us a 2 hour drive without air con until I could get a new belt put on at Nissan in Tak.
Attachments
WP_20150318_001.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 pm

Bangyai wrote:Yesterday saw the beams poured which required 7 cubic meters of CPAC. This time I asked for and received a slump test. The result was not a perfect slump but a half collapsed one. Nonetheless , it was such a blazingly hot day ( 38 C ) that to be workable I felt that was good enough and that in this case a perfect slump mix might have dried out too quickly.

How much was the slump? It should have been measured and you told the slump. Ours was about 4" or 100mm
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Bangyai wrote:Yesterday saw the beams poured which required 7 cubic meters of CPAC. This time I asked for and received a slump test. The result was not a perfect slump but a half collapsed one. Nonetheless , it was such a blazingly hot day ( 38 C ) that to be workable I felt that was good enough and that in this case a perfect slump mix might have dried out too quickly.

How much was the slump? It should have been measured and you told the slump. Ours was about 4" or 100mm

Ours was about to be measured at 120 but it half collapsed as he took the measurement. Still it was visibly a lot better than the first delivery and I feel sure that just asking for it made the CPAC driver wary of delivering a load of slush. Thanks for the heads up and will be asking for it on the next two deliveries.

Apologies in advance for slow replys and postings but my unlimited internet package with AIS turns out to be limited to 4.5 GB which has run out until the 1st of April. Using the wifi in our hotel to post this.
Bangyai

Postby gliffaes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Bangyai wrote:And on the subject of saving money I took a drive up to Thai watsadu in Petchabun town and spotted these very nice large 2 foot tiles on offer which will do nicely for most of the house except bathroom and balconys.

Be wary of cheap tiles, i found even grade A were different sizes by quite an amount, I have 7mm spacers between mine so could easily hide it but the Thai way of butt jointing must be a right PIA ( pain in the ar*e)
gliffaes

Postby Bangyai » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:38 pm

gliffaes wrote:
Bangyai wrote:And on the subject of saving money I took a drive up to Thai watsadu in Petchabun town and spotted these very nice large 2 foot tiles on offer which will do nicely for most of the house except bathroom and balconys.

Be wary of cheap tiles, i found even grade A were different sizes by quite an amount, I have 7mm spacers between mine so could easily hide it but the Thai way of butt jointing must be a right PIA ( pain in the ar*e)

Oh yes indeed ! Back on page 1 of this thread I left a link to the story of my first build in Thailand some 25 odd years ago. This is exactly what happened on that build.

We went to Thai Watsudu today on the way back from Mae Sot and tried to get those cheap tiles. As it happened there were none left but in any case the salesman confessed they were cheap because of this.
So we then had to find something similar which we did that worked out at 212 per square meter. I will be on the site a lot more once the roof is on and will watch the tile laying carefully. It's not so bad if you can restrict any odd length tiles to the border where they will be behind s sofa or television but you don't want uneven joints in the middle of the room.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 am

Well it's been a week of very mixed weather , from heavy thunder storms to spring temperatures. Nonetheless things have plodded on and the floor and posts have been poured and the posts are now sweating it out under a wrapping of clingfilm.
Attachments
WP_20150323_014.jpg
WP_20150323_009.jpg
WP_20150326_003.jpg
WP_20150327_004.jpg
Ku
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Had hoped to post more pictures but have lost my wifi again so will have to wait until Monday
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Got a bit of wifi tonight as staying in town for an early shopping spree at Thai watsadu. Time then for a brief update. As the pictures show we are currently working on the roof frame.
Attachments
WP_20150327_007.jpg
WP_20150328_002.jpg
WP_20150328_003.jpg
WP_20150329_008.jpg
WP_20150329_011.jpg
WP_20150330_001.jpg
WP_20150330_004.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:57 pm

Anyways, things have been going pretty well until today when there was a lot of head scratching by all parties on how to get the exact proportions right for the Bali style front aspect of the roof. The welder was looking at things from a structural strength point of view, the builder foreman was looking ahead to the tiling and wanting to avoid having to cut the Lon cu tiles and weaken the waterproofing shape of them whilst we were looking at a purely esthetic appearance. Eventually we all came to a compromise that wasn,t exactly what anyone wanted but was close enough to please everyone.

In retrospect most of this could have been avoided had I known beforehand what was entailed in the roof construction and been more familiar with how the tiles are spaced. Unfortunately , not being a builder my design plans left all this up to the builder with me just giving the desired finished dimensions. Still , alls well that ends well and we are o.k. with the final proportions although it did involve more work for the welder who took it in good part. He also mentioned that everytime he has worked on this type of roof it is the same story with things not having been thought out properly beforehand.

Apart from this we also hired a Brad Pitt look alike to dig three holes for our concrete ring septic tanks. Boy was it exhausting watching him work under the roasting 40 degree sun. He sweated buckets but was a cheerful bloke who missed his vocation as a crooner which he made up for by singing to us all at every Lao khao break.

Not much to day about the pictures except ...... well well well ......job done. The pipework is to be added later.
Attachments
WP_20150327_009.jpg
WP_20150328_008.jpg
WP_20150328_005.jpg
WP_20150328_006.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:08 pm

One other thing I have found is that it's not as easy as it used to be to find someone that makes concrete water ongs anymore. In the old days people making them were everywhere but so far we have been unable to find one although we do have the number of a bloke that used to make them. This is to be followed up. Nothing like a thick walled ong to keep water cool even in the hot season....and as cheap as chips when you can find one.
Bangyai

Postby claynlr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 am

What's an "ong"?
claynlr

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:16 am

claynlr wrote:What's an "ong"?
Attachments
water_storage_containers.jpg
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:54 am

BKKBILL wrote:
claynlr wrote:What's an "ong"?

Not to be confused with the 'b prefix' version ... unless it's one heck of a party you are planning :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story