1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby Bangyai » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:47 pm

schuimpge wrote:Could it be expansion of the roof steel?
Just throwing up a thought.. But with heat and cold,..
Luc

Yes ........ Could well be. Occasionally when watching television we do hear the odd ' crack ' sound coming from the roof space which does sound like something expanding and contracting . Just recently the mornings have been pretty cool .... Around 27 degrees but by late afternoon it shows about 33 in the insulated living area and a lot hotter for sure in the roof space despite all the ventilation and insulation etc.

A small crack developed in the bedroom a few weeks back so I filled it and painted over again. A few days later the crack must have started closing again because it squeezed all the grout out again leaving a ridge which I had to sand down and paint over again. I suppose its all just down to everything settling into place. Remember seeing similar small cracks in my grand new apartment in England. After about a year no new ones appeared.
Bangyai

Postby schuimpge » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:53 pm

Bangyai,.. All that means is: lay on your lazy butt with a nice beer for the next 12 months and then start doing some repair work.... :mrgreen: :lol:
schuimpge

Postby Bangyai » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:30 pm

schuimpge wrote:Bangyai,.. All that means is: lay on your lazy butt with a nice beer for the next 12 months and then start doing some repair work.... :mrgreen: :lol:

I have discussed this with my butt and we concur that yours is good advice indeed. We will do our best to follow it, especially my butt who sometimes forgets what a seat looks like. Just have to finish building the last bit of built in kitchen which I decided to do myself then its feet up time.

As for the beer ...... have to pass as just lately I have acquired the taste for Lao Khao mixed with bitter lemon. Really hits the spot fast.
Bangyai

Postby schuimpge » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Ah those youngsters trying to hit the sweet spot fast...
Where are the days that you work your way slowly, over many hours, to a comfortable state of consciousness that could last forever... 8) :?: :?:
schuimpge

Postby Bangyai » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:05 am

:wink:
schuimpge wrote:Ah those youngsters trying to hit the sweet spot fast...
Where are the days that you work your way slowly, over many hours, to a comfortable state of consciousness that could last forever... 8) :?: :?:

Don't knock it till you've tried it. :)
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Well the last time we saw Kens built in kitchen was on page 17 . Since then I have done a bit of tiling above the sink and put up some cupboards.
Attachments
WP_20150809_002.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:43 pm

This still left the corner empty and since I was worried that something would fall off the gas stove into the abyss I decided to build a built in shelf rather than pay someone else to do it. Watched them enough times now to get an idea how to proceed.
Still ..... I thought it best to err on the side of safety and put some rebar support into the upright wall.
Attachments
WP_20150813_002.jpg
WP_20150813_003.jpg
WP_20150815_009.jpg
Bangyai

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:28 pm

Bangyai wrote:This still left the corner empty and since I was worried that something would fall off the gas stove into the abyss I decided to build a built in shelf rather than pay someone else to do it. Watched them enough times now to get an idea how to proceed.
Still ..... I thought it best to err on the side of safety and put some rebar support into the upright wall.

Bangers; thats going to be a right belt 'n braces job.
It looks like you are going to form a concrete shelf.?

can I make a suggestion; right or wrong, :?: this is what I would do.
Set out your shuttering for the underside, to carry the concrete first. you can fix a few battens around the perimeter; no need to drill them, just prop them.; a nail to pin them.
With your steel set up already (apparently) its going to be awkward, to do it after.

looking at your earlier photos, your walls are AAC blocks so you can "rebate" a chase out around the edge say two inch/three inch quite easily and your concrete can fit snugly whilst getting support..

Also try and fit a few more strips of rebar, it costs nothing to add them in but pay attention to the front edge thats going to be the point you dump your bottles of beer while you are cooking. :D
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:17 pm

Bangyai wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Could it be expansion of the roof steel?
Just throwing up a thought.. But with heat and cold,..
Luc

Yes ........ Could well be. Occasionally when watching television we do hear the odd ' crack ' sound coming from the roof space which does sound like something expanding and contracting . Just recently the mornings have been pretty cool .... Around 27 degrees but by late afternoon it shows about 33 in the insulated living area and a lot hotter for sure in the roof space despite all the ventilation and insulation etc.

A small crack developed in the bedroom a few weeks back so I filled it and painted over again. A few days later the crack must have started closing again because it squeezed all the grout out again leaving a ridge which I had to sand down and paint over again. I suppose its all just down to everything settling into place. Remember seeing similar small cracks in my grand new apartment in England. After about a year no new ones appeared.

Bangers;
I am pretty sure these cracks are not related to the expansion of a steel roof, neither are they due to your water butts, proximity or even settlement.
I did actually look back at all your building photos and I agree there are steel dowels connecting the blocks to the walls, but again in this case irrelevant.
if you look at the corner columns, they are 20cmx20cm; the renderer has already as most do, formed an induced crack joint. so if there is any movement between column and wall, this is where it will crack, not as visible and easy to refill.

your cracks are different, zoom in on them; they are stress cracks; they are in different directions and the crack is not continuous. this is where the expansion of two different material at different rates occur.
for example; it could be the render against the concrete column; it could be a weaker first coat render followed by a stronger top coat. the weak one wants to move. it could also be the type of paint your man has used. if its not a microporous external quality paint (such as sandtex) then the paint can seal in the moisture that was in the render.....and also the column. Meshing certainly helps but there's no use crying over spilt milk now;its not a catastrophe.

The trick is not to fill cracks as soon as they show themselves, you need to wait a full season no matter how tempting it is. I am glad you mentioned that your mastic was squeezed out......i have known companies that go around telling homeowners that their cracks need to be grouted in a strong cement mix so it will not happen again.
no it doesnt happen again in the same place but when that wall retracts in a wet season the strong grout forces a crack to open up elsewhere.

to conclude my waffle.....I wouldnt be concerned; more are likely to happen, some elevations will suffer more than others. Simply give it another coat of looking at next year, a flexible filler and paint.
eyecatcher

Postby Bangyai » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 am

Hi eyecatcher. Thanks for the advice on the kitchen. Unfortunately I did the preliminary work before I went to Laos for 5 days so that it would be good and dry when I returned. Was so busy that I neglected to take pictures before I left. This afternoon , after getting the cars air con repaired again ( was leaking on my return from Laos and the fix in Khon Kaen didn't work ,completely ) I carried on and the shelf is now complete except for the tiling on the upright wall. I'll post some pictures tomorrow so you can see where I am up to. Fairly satisfied with my workmanship so far ...... about on a par with Kens ( :roll: ) so at least there will be some continuity.

As for the cracks ....... yes , gonna leave that one for now until I get back from the U.K. at the end of September. Got 16 days to go before I return for my first home visit in 4 years. Mums moving to the Isle of Wight so have to lend a hand and clear out my remaining junk. Hate to leave Ms Bangyai alone but will be nice to see family and friends again.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Ok ...... so here's where I'm up to since my return from Laos. The shelf was done before I left for Savannakhet but I have built it up to match the height of the rest of the counter . Apart from the rebar there are also two levels of mesh wire in the concrete shelf. Tomorrow will start tiling the sidewall.
Attachments
WP_20150824_002.jpg
Bangyai

Postby schuimpge » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:28 pm

That's some real good work.
When where you coming Bangkok side again? Got some jobs to be done here... :D
schuimpge

Postby Bangyai » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:40 pm

schuimpge wrote:That's some real good work.
When where you coming Bangkok side again? Got some jobs to be done here... :D

My rates are as follows :

500 baht a day or part thereof ( when hungover might turn up , work for 30 minutes then nod off )
Falang food to be provided at midday ( who said there's no free lunch )
Small bottle of Lao Khao to be provided at end of working day.

Very reasonable I think and in line with the local cowboys ...... I mean craftsmen. :wink:
Bangyai

Postby schuimpge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 pm

Cheaper than I pay here local... Lol.. What's the next free spot on the calendar..
schuimpge

Postby Bangyai » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:20 pm

schuimpge wrote:Cheaper than I pay here local... Lol.. What's the next free spot on the calendar..

Unfortunately my supervisor ( wife ) has be fully booked up for the foreseeable future
Bangyai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story