1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby Bangyai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 pm

So , as is clear, not really a 1 bedroom bungalow anymore. The extra room at the back will either be the Thai kitchen/ laundry room or mother in laws temporary abode until the wifes sister gets her own build done on the last vacant plot next door . Well.....not so bad, I can lock the rear sliding doors so she is confined to her room or rear balcony which gives her access to the outside world without having to pass through the house ....bless her little flip flops.

Ms Bangyai wanted to get the build started on the 2nd because someone told her the 2nd was an auspicious day for such things. Not wishing to be hurried I countered with the bald face lie that no falang would ever start a build on a day with a 2 in it or a 3 either. Very unlucky says I.

Incredibly, the whole tribe completely swallowed my elaborate baloney at face value and after consulting another three headed , serpent haired soothsayer somewhere deeper in the village decided I was completely correct and that this Thursday the 5th of March was a much better day to erect the first couple of posts.

So the earth has been broken and the cement and rebar stands by ready to commence.
Attachments
WP_20150301_002.jpg
site.jpg
Last edited by Bangyai on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 pm

The final quote for the labor costs only for the 93 square meter build at 4,500 a square meter was 410,000 baht, to include everything except the built in kitchen and wardrobes. My maths made it 418,000 but who am I to argue ?

I also went to look at another house the builder is currently working on ( picture below ) . Not too bad but I did find an example of shoddy workmanship in this places bathroom area. I said that this would not be tolerated in out build as I will be making daily inspections and any laziness on behalf of his employees would have to be corrected at his expense. Also pointed out that we are quite fussy so if he thought that would be a problem to say so now before agreeing anything. He agreed to defer to us so hopefully it will be o.k.

We have also prevailed on my son in law ( a fairly experienced builder himself ) and his wife to stick around until the foundations , floor and roof are done so that he will go with the builder when ordering cement and rebar to make sure that what we pay for gets delivered and used. My son in law also pointed out that anything left over would be used on another sisters build and would not be the property of the builder.

Well.....that's the plan anyways. The relatives think the build price is a bit steep but as I said in my first post it was in the ball park figure I had originally estimated. The other sister to the right had her whole place ( similar area ) done for 375,000 baht including labor and material but it shows and she is not happy. The walls have come away from every post by up to a half inch and the roof is barely supported so you get what you pay for.

The second picture is the view we will have from the balcony to the rear.

Will try to give sporadic updates as soon as I find an internet cafe .
Attachments
WP_20150302_002.jpg
WP_20150302_004 (1).jpg
Bangyai

Postby gliffaes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:13 am

Bangyai wrote:The final quote for the labor costs only for the 93 square meter build at 4,500 a square meter was 410,000 baht, to include everything except the built in kitchen and wardrobes. My maths made it 418,000 but who am I to argue ?

I also went to look at another house the builder is currently working on ( picture below ) . Not too bad but I did find an example of shoddy workmanship in this places bathroom area. I said that this would not be tolerated in out build as I will be making daily inspections and any laziness on behalf of his employees would have to be corrected at his expense. Also pointed out that we are quite fussy so if he thought that would be a problem to say so now before agreeing anything. He agreed to defer to us so hopefully it will be o.k.

We have also prevailed on my son in law ( a fairly experienced builder himself ) and his wife to stick around until the foundations , floor and roof are done so that he will go with the builder when ordering cement and rebar to make sure that what we pay for gets delivered and used. My son in law also pointed out that anything left over would be used on another sisters build and would not be the property of the builder.

Well.....that's the plan anyways. The relatives think the build price is a bit steep but as I said in my first post it was in the ball park figure I had originally estimated. The other sister to the right had her whole place ( similar area ) done for 375,000 baht including labor and material but it shows and she is not happy. The walls have come away from every post by up to a half inch and the roof is barely supported so you get what you pay for.

The second picture is the view we will have from the balcony to the rear.

Will try to give sporadic updates as soon as I find an internet cafe .

Only half an inch...........pah fussy woman, when you can stick your arm thru its bad......everyone knows that :roll:
gliffaes

Postby Bangyai » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Well things have commenced and the first delivery of CPack cement for the foundations was delivered yesterday. As others have noted , a bit wet as the pour started but thickened up towards the end of the pour.

Not much done today due to an out of season thunder and rain storm last night but work will commence on the beams tomorrow.

Not found an internet cafe yet so working from my phone for now. Still making the rented house we are temporarily in more comfortable so keeping pretty busy.
Attachments
WP_20150309_009.jpg
WP_20150309_013.jpg
WP_20150309_012.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Looking to the future a bit I spotted this metal roof sheet on a new build in town. At first glance I took it for CPAC but a closer look revealed it's thinness. Found one of the nearby places selling I and it was made by sheeting from an Australian company named Bluescope although they also had stuff by Joey and a Korean supplier. I was show rolls of the unpressed sheeting plus a long machine they used to press it into a something that looks like fake tiles. The guy selling the stuff reckons the fake tile shape is popular but probably not as durable as the primary ridged type since all the pressing into shape causes a bit of weakness at the right angles. They will also back it with insulation for you which is done by hand rather than machine.

All very interesting but as we left the place Ms Bangyai immediately slapped a veto on it as she prefers the cement tiles from Chang .
Attachments
WP_20150310_001.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Bangyai wrote:Looking to the future a bit I spotted this metal roof sheet on a new build in town. At first glance I took it for CPAC but a closer look revealed it's thinness. Found one of the nearby places selling I and it was made by sheeting from an Australian company named Bluescope although they also had stuff by Joey and a Korean supplier. I was show rolls of the unpressed sheeting plus a long machine they used to press it into a something that looks like fake tiles. The guy selling the stuff reckons the fake tile shape is popular but probably not as durable as the primary ridged type since all the pressing into shape causes a bit of weakness at the right angles. They will also back it with insulation for you which is done by hand rather than machine.

All very interesting but as we left the place Ms Bangyai immediately slapped a veto on it as she prefers the cement tiles from Chang .

It is colourbond and under that name you will find a lot of information here about it.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:04 pm

^ Thanks for looking in Stw. Yes , I remember people recommending it but I thought colourbond was a brand name.

Anyways , I can believe it has it's virtues but Ms Bangyai wants to go with Lon Ku tiles and I'll go along with her on it since I'm sure I'll want my own way on some other thing later in the build. Gawd knows we've had enough heated exchanges of opinion already . Also , I had a colored metal roof on my first build back in 1986 and I do remember it being noisy even though we had something nobody else did........a ceiling.
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Bangyai wrote:Well things have commenced and the first delivery of CPack cement for the foundations was delivered yesterday. As others have noted , a bit wet as the pour started but thickened up towards the end of the pour.

If you want to avoid that then ask for a slump test for every load, as it is CPAC they can do it and it will make sure they don't give you soup instead of concrete.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:42 pm

^ Thanks for the tip Stw. Is there a Thai word for that or will they understand :

Kor doo raigahn ' slump test ' na krap . :?

Actually , I've just watched your useful YouTube video plus another one in Thai so I will show these to the driver when he next turns up. I'm sure he'll be well pleased that I'm taking a serious interest in his cement. :)
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:22 pm

Bangyai wrote:^ Thanks for the tip Stw. Is there a Thai word for that or will they understand :

Kor doo raigahn ' slump test ' na krap . :?

Actually , I've just watched your useful YouTube video plus another one in Thai so I will show these to the driver when he next turns up. I'm sure he'll be well pleased that I'm taking a serious interest in his cement. :)

You will have to ask for the test when you order the concrete, the driver will not be equipped to do it. They send along a someone with the driver. There are some useful videos in my YouTube channel. They understand "slump test" if asked for it by a Thai person. SWMBO doesn't know if what you have written will work or not and she was the one to ask CPAC for it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... woodworker
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:07 pm

After three days the shuttering was removed and I got the chance to inspect the resultant posts. They looked ok to my untrained eye with no crumbling cement or cracks so I gave the go ahead to fill in the holes to protect the posts from fast curing.
Attachments
WP_20150312_002.jpg
WP_20150312_004.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:35 pm

Of course , I was expecting a few cock ups during the build but not a big one so soon. I decided to check the measurements of the post positions and discovered that there was 1 meter missing from the length of the house. How the head honcho could have managed this is beyond me but I only have myself to blame for not checking properly before the pour. I did start checking from the front but got distracted and did not complete the check . The result is that the house is now 12.5 meters long not 13.5 as on the plans. The only good news is that the lost meter is spread out evenly and not from one end only. The loss was 10cm to the front and back rooms and 40cm either side of the central divide. Fortunately when I got home and put these changes into the google sketch up plan it hasn't made a disastrous difference anywhere. I had already incorporated half of the front balcony into the front of the bedroom to provide myself with an office so the only room that is a bit pinched is the kitchen which is now only 2 meters wide instead of 2.4 meters.

Naturally , I summoned the builder who arrived with the plans. I asked him, according to the plans, what should be the total length of the house ? 13.5 meters he answered. I then measured the actual length with him and he was crest fallen to discover his cock up which he explained was due to him forgetting to add in the width of the posts. Be that as it may I pointed out that on the plans I gave him the total length is written down on all 3 sheets dealing with the foundations and so unfortunately for him his mistake would be costing him 28,800 baht for the missing 6.4 square meters. He agreed it was a fair cop and so that was that except that now I am going to have to be more vigilant on checking these things.

In actual fact , the house is now down to my original drawings before Ms bangyai wanted things enlarged and I am secretly not upset at the money saved which could end up at around 34,000 baht which will pay for a couple of air conditioners.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Apart from the above there has been little other work done on account of some very unseasonal heavy rain on three consecutive days.Today is a bit drier and the space that will be under the house is being leveled with some cheap brown road gravel. It was going to be done with grey stone chips but as my son in law pointed out it was a bit of a waste of cash as nobody will be crawling under the house to look at it so saved a couple of thou here too.
Attachments
WP_20150315_001.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:54 pm

And on the subject of saving money I took a drive up to Thai watsadu in Petchabun town and spotted these very nice large 2 foot tiles on offer which will do nicely for most of the house except bathroom and balconys.
Attachments
WP_20150312_016.jpg
WP_20150312_015.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:02 pm

As for myself , I have been clearing the concrete road at the front of the house from the accumulated leaves and mud of several years that had reduced it's width to 1 central strip 6 feet wide. Can only work an hour a day due to the heat before getting hot and tired but we now have a cleared stretch about 20 meters long that is now about 18 feet wide so that I no longer have to get my little coupe bogged down in the mud.
Attachments
WP_20150315_004.jpg
WP_20150315_003.jpg
Bangyai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story