1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Fatty meanwhile is hopelessly addicted to our plastic chairs and sleeps on one every night. Chair is now totalled so we bought one of those cheap table and chair sets from homepro for 1700 baht and have moved fattys chair off the balcony on account of the ness he makes.
Attachments
WP_20150718_002.jpg
WP_20150719_001.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Currently having a colorbond car port grafted onto the side of the house. Metal framework with colorbond roof to match the bungalow roof. Price 15,000 all on including widening the floor an extra 40 cm. A bit steep but not too much. Wasn't going to bother but the car is suffering and the dog needs some shade as Ms Bangyai wants to ban him from the terrace until the rainy season is over ..... Too much mess every morning.
Also tidied up the back of the house a bit and it doesn't look too bad despite the roofers mistake.
Attachments
WP_20150807_001.jpg
WP_20150806_005.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Marlon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:54 pm

It looks very nice mate. Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date.
Marlon

Postby Bangyai » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Marlon wrote:It looks very nice mate. Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date.

Thanks Marlon ...... glad someones still interested.

Anyway the car port was finished today and they have made a nice job of it so no complaints. Unfortunately , the sister in law got a quote from the blokes doing the work and has now decided to stick something similar but a lot bigger on the front of her place next door. I wouldn't mind but she plans to go out about 7 meters with it from the front of her place which will pretty well block out the view of our house from the road. Why she wants it that big is a mystery but nothing to be done about it. It sounds like its going to be a real eye sore though.
Attachments
WP_20150809_010.jpg
WP_20150809_008.jpg
WP_20150809_003.jpg
Bangyai

Postby MGV12 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Bangyai wrote:
Marlon wrote:It looks very nice mate. Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date.

Hi Bangyai ... you have nearly 10K views on your thread so I would suggest that Marlon isn't the only interested party; shame more who view threads don't express their appreciation.

Including me :oops:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby pipoz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Bangyai wrote:

Anyway the car port was finished today and they have made a nice job of it so no complaints. Unfortunately , the sister in law got a quote from the blokes doing the work and has now decided to stick something similar but a lot bigger on the front of her place next door. I wouldn't mind but she plans to go out about 7 meters with it from the front of her place which will pretty well block out the view of our house from the road. Why she wants it that big is a mystery but nothing to be done about it. It sounds like its going to be a real eye sore though.

Nice job, now you can sit back and have a beer on that porch and tell the misses to go shopipng

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Bangyai » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:56 am

pipoz wrote:
Nice job, now you can sit back and have a beer on that porch and tell the misses to go shopipng

pipoz

Yes.....been doing that a lot ! Prefer the rear balcony but on sunny days its too hot back there until about 6.00 pm. A couple of years from now when the trees grow a bit hoping to have more shade at the rear.

Also....those trees I pruned to improve my view have already grown back to I've lost some view again. Next pruning will be a lot more savage !
Been a few snakes and scorpions around lately so next time I enter that jungle will be well covered up.
Bangyai

Postby pipoz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am

Bangyai wrote:
pipoz wrote:

pipoz

Yes.....been doing that a lot ! Prefer the rear balcony but on sunny days its too hot back there until about 6.00 pm. A couple of years from now when the trees grow a bit hoping to have more shade at the rear.

Also....those trees I pruned to improve my view have already grown back to I've lost some view again. Next pruning will be a lot more savage !
Been a few snakes and scorpions around lately so next time I enter that jungle will be well covered up.

Yes I had a nice view until the Neighbor built a shitter just beyond the end of the driveway

We too found a few snakes (mostly small) recently when we cut down a few Banana tress. Apparently they like to live up in them. Haven't seen any scorpions

pipoz

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Marlon » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:57 am

Mate, I, like most people, only say something when I have something to say. But We enjoy your story. I have my story on another site, but I wish I had put it here. Never mind. Your place is on the small side, and that could work well, as mine is way too big, in an air conditioning perspective, and I wish I could start again. I don't want to pay the set up costs, or the supply costs. Pat loms for us. Cheers mate.
Marlon

Postby Bangyai » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks Marlon. I almost put my story on teak door but felt a dedicated building forum would provide more useful and practical advice apart from well wishers.

Anyway ...... It's been a couple of months now since we moved in and I recently noticed a disturbing crack on the outside kitchen wall. Had a few minor drying out cracks elsewhere but this one is bigger. Doesn't seem to be getting any bigger so I'll give it another week then fill it and paint over.
Attachments
WP_20150815_003.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Sister in laws awning also completed now. Would have prefered it a meter shorter but not as bad as thought it would be .
Attachments
WP_20150815_010.jpg
WP_20150815_013.jpg
Bangyai

Postby pipoz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:13 am

Bangyai wrote:Sister in laws awning also completed now. Would have prefered it a meter shorter but not as bad as thought it would be .

Unfortunately in Thailand, you cannot control what your neighbour or in this case your sister in law, will build next to you.
I have a similar issue with my neighbour's Blue & Pink house :roll: Thai's continue to amaze me with their choice of colours :shock:

Your vertical crack looks like a straight forward separation of your block/brick wall from your concrete corner column. Possibly you builder didn't put any wall ties in at the junction, to tie your wall to your concrete column. Also I would say, he didn't put any wire mesh over the junction, hence very easy for the crack to form along the line.

I would just watch it over the next few months and if it doesn't move any more or open up too much, then fill it with a paintable caulking compound and paint over it, as a easy fix option

Have a quick look at your other house corners and see if the same type of vertical crack is developing there

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Bangyai » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Pipoz. Yes ........ Colors.......they do have some funny ideas. If they think a flower is a pretty color then it must be o.k. for the house or car. Whilst house hunting in Bangkok I came across a house painted purple from top to bottom. Doors, window frames.....everything one shade of purple except the roof ! :shock:

As for the crack , there are definitely wall ties in on every other course..... I made sure of that....even taking blocks off to check when I doubted his word....too my embarresment. However...no mesh that I can recall.
Oddly enough you would expect that crack to show up on the inside...ie the kitchen but so far absolutely nothing inside.....very strange. Will do as you suggest and leave it a week or two then fill it and paint over. I will say that next to that corner is the water Ong on a cement base so maybe the weight of that has something to do with it. Checked all the other corners and not a crack in sight yet so not too worried just yet. Will keep an eye on them all though.

Just now I am in Suvannakhet ( Laos ) staying in a beautifully restored French colonial house. Just love the living room tiles and decor ...... Very tasteful and nostalgic.
Attachments
WP_20150818_002.jpg
WP_20150818_011.jpg
WP_20150818_008.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Heavy Ong next to crack.
Attachments
WP_20150815_005.jpg
Bangyai

Postby schuimpge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Could it be expansion of the roof steel?
Just throwing up a thought.. But with heat and cold,..
Luc
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story