1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby pipoz » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Bangyai wrote:Stuck on the first section of decorative bricking today. Doesn't look as nice as I'd hoped but will slowly carry on now that I've started. Also ordered a third of an Ong ( in height ) to use as a pond in the front garden. Delivery next week.

The House: Excellent result and so quick too

pipoz
pipoz

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:24 pm

Bangyai wrote:Stuck on the first section of decorative bricking today. Doesn't look as nice as I'd hoped but will slowly carry on now that I've started. Also ordered a third of an Ong ( in height ) to use as a pond in the front garden. Delivery next week.
Lastly , applied for my yellow tabien ban this morning which might come in handy for something one day.

Unless I missed it; to what extent are you doing the decorative brick facing? Of course nothing looks how you want it before its complete. I think you may have reservations because there doesnt seem to be enough contrast with the bricks and the background colour.
This is not a critisism but if for example I bought your house tomorrow; I would highlight the columns on the corners by painting them a light coffee colour; so you get the coffee/cream effect which are fabulous complementing colours. The stick on facings I would take up the sill level of the window but add a small protruding sill/plinth line to finish them off. At the side of the house I would continue the facing bricks at the same level as you show in the photo.
but thats only my opinion; yours is the most important of course; as you have to live with it. Smashing job though well done...and no heart attacks! I may be the first then.
eyecatcher

Postby Bangyai » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:28 am

pipoz wrote:

The House: Excellent result and so quick too

pipoz

Thanks pipoz ..............believe me .......the three months it took felt like an eternity ! If we had not run into two major holidays it would have been completed in 10 weeks.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 am

eyecatcher wrote:
Lastly , applied for my yellow tabien ban this morning which might come in handy for something one day.

Unless I missed it; to what extent are you doing the decorative brick facing? Of course nothing looks how you want it before its complete. I think you may have reservations because there doesnt seem to be enough contrast with the bricks and the background colour.
This is not a critisism but if for example I bought your house tomorrow; I would highlight the columns on the corners by painting them a light coffee colour; so you get the coffee/cream effect which are fabulous complementing colours. The stick on facings I would take up the sill level of the window but add a small protruding sill/plinth line to finish them off. At the side of the house I would continue the facing bricks at the same level as you show in the photo.
but thats only my opinion; yours is the most important of course; as you have to live with it. Smashing job though well done...and no heart attacks! I may be the first then.

Yes eyecatcher .......I go along with most of what you're saying except maybe not as high as the window sills. The plan now is to continue down the side of the house to the bathroom first......then add another two courses to front and side to bring the level of the bricks up to the level of the balcony floor. That will be 10 instead of the present 8. Then I'll stop again to gauge the effect. As for the pillars you will notice I have not tiled them to allow for painting them a slightly different color as you suggest. A lot of people do this and sometimes it works but sometimes it looks a bit kitsch. Slowly slowly catch the monkey. :)

Unfortunately pretty busy just now sorting out paperwork for taking Gop with me to England for a month in September. At first I was going to go alone but now she wants to come it has given me a lot of bureaucracy to deal with. I have however managed to add skirting boards to the dining room and put up some kitchen cabinets. Busy busy busy.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Found a bit of time to continue the decorative bricking down one side of the house and it looks a bit better although will still raise it two courses soon. Also managed to shoe horn our cut down ong into the 4 " inch hole I had dug for it. Would have prefered it a bit deeper but was digging through a bit of cement and got a bit worn out with it. Will be filling it with water plants soon. Also got another dog now ...... Mr Brown ( Nam dtahn ) who appeared from somewhere and is now a fixture. He is gay and has tried rogering fatty already but so far not managed it yet.
Attachments
WP_20150714_002.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Bit of a problem with the plumbing this week when a large damp patch appeared on the outside bathroom wall and a bit of water on the floor behind the toilet.
Attachments
WP_20150726_004.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Builder called back to take a look and both he and I thought the problem was with the highest joint which was leaking and slowly seeping down. Half hour later the joint was exposed but looked dry.
Attachments
WP_20150727_001.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:38 pm

So ..... more chiseling and the whole area is exposed .
Attachments
WP_20150727_004.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Finally traced the fault to the bum gun outlet. Turns out that its all my fault because it was me who swopped the hoses around on the inside of the bathroom a few days ago and had not tightened things down properly.
So thanks to a bit of carelessness on my part we now have a big hole to fill up.

Just wished we had checked the fittings first before getting heavy handed.
Attachments
WP_20150727_008.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Observe that with the tap fully tightened down it no longer sits on the top but is twisted around to the underside. Not important really but it would have been better if the pipes had been put in better in the first place with the heads protuding from the wall not set back inside. :(
Bangyai

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:05 pm

BangYai, Been there & Done that.. Makes one feel really bad not to have gone the easy way first..

Cheers, hope you'll get it fixed properly again..
Very nice looking bungalow you got.

Luc
schuimpge

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Bummer!

BangYai you can buy brass extension couplings at all large shops.

Looks something like this. I had to nest a couple together on one outlet.

brass coupling.png
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 pm

schuimpge wrote:BangYai, Been there & Done that.. Makes one feel really bad not to have gone the easy way first..

Cheers, hope you'll get it fixed properly again..
Very nice looking bungalow you got.

Luc

Thanks for the sympathy. I did feel a bit sheepish but nobody was upset and it cost me nothing except a bag of ready mix cement. Everything has been made good already so just needs a lick of paint when the cement is dry. The work was done by my old friend the tiler who was very polite and understanding despite my earlier criticism .
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:28 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Bummer!

BangYai you can buy brass extension couplings at all large shops.

Looks something like this. I had to nest a couple together on one outlet.

The attachment brass coupling.png is no longer available

Thanks Bill ...... They would have been perfect and put all the joints nicely in sight. If it happens again I will definitely get some but seeing that it's fixed I'll leave it be for now....plenty of other stuff to busy myself with. As it happens , I did buy something similar in the shower room. A sort of lesbian brass fitting ...... Female to female. As difficult to find as the flesh and blood type but a whole lot cheaper
Attachments
WP_20150727_011.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 pm

Last week we also had 27 square meters of extra concrete laid out back to use as a washing area. Seemed a bit pricey at 8000 baht including materials ( rebar , cement etc. ) plus there was enough left to use out front to make a walkway between our place and the sister in laws.......now occupied by the concrete table and chairs.
Attachments
WP_20150726_003.jpg
Bangyai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story