1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby Bangyai » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:24 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi and you might want to look at my post under Udon Thani Happy House Page 6, where I refer to a book that I bought in Thailand for only TB 300. Its has some 120 No House Designs in it (by the Home Collection Group) although some are quite lavish

I posted a few design examples,under my Page 6, but the book has other two bedroom styles, if you are interested

pipoz

Thanks for that pipoz. I'll take a look at your Happy house build tomorrow ( one Scotch too many to read it properly right now ).
I have also seen all those books with the designs in. Very useful although as you say , pity there are'nt a few more smaller designs.....some of us are'n't so rich !

The picture I posted comes from Smilehomes website. Plenty of similar designs here :

http://www.smilehomes.com/homes_plan_catalog1.htm

I suppose one advantage of doing a smaller build though is that you can concentrate more on fine detail and not worry too much if a few expensive choices end up in the final design since they won't effect the total cost too much.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:35 pm

kalasiner wrote:Hi Bangyai
You wrote "I plan to use just one layer of 7.5 cm AAC blocks on all walls except around the shower area."

What walls will you have around the bathroom ? and will your interior walls also be AAC ?
Thanks and good luck with your build.

Hi Kalasiner , Had I not spent some time reading coolthaihouse , I would have gone for AAC blocks everywhere. However, on one of the threads on the subject, a couple of people mentioned they had a few problems in the bathroom area after using them there. Based on their comments, I thought I would go with the small Thai red bricks or standard cement blocks for the wet area walls around the shower cubicle only. This is one of the things I'll hammer out with the builder when we get to it.

Fortunately, with petrol prices plunging , building materials are becoming cheaper right now and this will also effect the cost of the AAC blocks. I have been quoted 16-17 baht per block in Thai Watsadu ( both in Bangkok and in their Petchabun branch but not actual Q con) or 21 baht a block for actual Q Con blocks locally in Wichien Buri. Might even get a shade cheaper for a bulk order over the next month or two.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Well the brother in law has had the plot leveled for us for a 1000 baht. This has removed a lot of the undergrowth that was beginning to sprout before it took hold so as soon as we get the cash from the sale in Bangkok we are set to go. Also paid 7000 baht to the water authority to extend the mains water about seventy meters to our plot. Seems bloody expensive to me considering the cost of the pipes but that's what they charged so.......put up or shut up. That does not include the meter either !

The leveled plot :
Attachments
2154721314290.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Well, the sale of our Bangkok is creeping forward and looks set to complete at the end of February.

Meanwhile the house design has changed and is now on stilts. The roof tiles are something Ms Bangyai is keen on , fake terra cotta with beer can spray effect. Not too bad....I can live with it. Would have prefered a light grey myself for reflective properties and smoother look but can't have it all my own way.
Attachments
bungalow.png
tile.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Toying with the idea of raising the whole thing up so as to get my car underneath. Might talk to the builder about this to discuss extra expense involved . Ms Bangyai not keen on it but might be cheaper than building a garage. ( steps or firemans pole yet to be added )
Attachments
on stilts.png
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 pm

I finished reworking the design today which would give me sufficient headroom to get my car underneath ( 1. 4 meters )

I like the finished result since apart from having room to get my car under the house , it will also be perfect for the plumbing since the two cess pits will sit directly under the bathroom with an enclosed service area where everything is easy to get at.

Unfortunately, Ms Bangyai does not like it AT ALL because she has a bit of a gammy leg and worries the extra four steps will be too much for her when she gets old. FFS ............. only four extra steps. :(

She'll be sorry if the area ever floods.
Attachments
Car park 2.png
Bangyai

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I’m thinking you should be listening to Ms Bangyai if you don't someone will pay dearly for jacking up the house if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't think 1.4M is enough for a car let alone packing things in and out of it. Possibly a separate carport would not only be less costly but more practical. IMHO! :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Bangyai » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:36 pm

BKKBILL wrote:I’m thinking you should be listening to Ms Bangyai if you don't someone will pay dearly for jacking up the house if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't think 1.4M is enough for a car let alone packing things in and out of it. Possibly a separate carport would not only be less costly but more practical. IMHO! :mrgreen:

Well, this is an interesting point that I have yet to mull over with the builder. Everyone is happy about raising the bungalow up on stilts
( even Ms Bangyai ) but I can't see how raising it just a bit more will cost much more. There seem to be three ways of doing in this:

1) Cheap : ............trenches are dug for the footings and floor is laid in dirt.
O.K. but might have rising damp issues unless damp course put in ( pretty cheap too )

2) On the surface in shutterings : Less problem with damp but a bit of dirt infill needed before laying floor.

3) Raised up with pre caste concrete planks to act as shuttering for slightly thinner floor on top.

Now we are both happy with option three . Nearer to my requirements , wife likes the appearance and for such a small build , not a lot more dosh. But I was thinking that once you go down this road, just adding an extra meter to the columns should not add much weight if everything else is the same, especially as we are using AAC blocks everywhere. A little bit of extra money I can put up with if it saves building something separate for the car which will have to go somewhere in the front garden. As for the clearance....yes, 1.40 meters is not much but our two door sports coupe is only 1.30 of the ground ! Of course....every man and his mate would like me to get a pick up truck but hopefully ....that dreaded day will never come. Hate the things despite their obvious advantages for rural living.

Still.....it's a mute point as her with the gammy leg has put her foot down so my elevated design will never see the light of day.

In a parallel and bigger universe , the plot would be a bit wider and a cheap lean to would do the job.

On a brighter note, if i get drunk on Lao Khao and go arse over tit over the balcony a la Pattaya pissed tourist , I won't have so far to fall. You know it all makes sense in the end . :)
Bangyai

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 am

Bangyai wrote:1) Cheap : ............trenches are dug for the footings and floor is laid in dirt.
O.K. but might have rising damp issues unless damp course put in ( pretty cheap too )

2) On the surface in shutterings : Less problem with damp but a bit of dirt infill needed before laying floor.

3) Raised up with pre caste concrete planks to act as shuttering for slightly thinner floor on top.

Or, there is an option 4, which would not cost too much, look snazzy and give the missus no reason for complaint at all. Put in a small lift. The walls could be built out of superblock and the lift itself would just be a platform with a lift motor, similar to the motors they use to lift bricks to the second floor or open gates. An electrician could put in the stop start photocells in seconds. Just ask your local friendly gate man and he could have the whole thing done for under 25,000.... and think of the prestige and also think when you arrive home legless you don't have to fall up the stairs, just sit on the floor of the lift and press the button. And think of the bragging rights. "We have the only one storied house in Thailand that has a lift".
And when you get older and can't fall up the stairs anymore, just hop in the lift.
Even your missus would love the idea and solves the problem about getting wet climbing the stairs during the rainy season.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:41 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Or, there is an option 4, which would not cost too much, look snazzy and give the missus no reason for complaint at all. Put in a small lift. The walls could be built out of superblock and the lift itself would just be a platform with a lift motor, similar to the motors they use to lift bricks to the second floor or open gates. An electrician could put in the stop start photocells in seconds. Just ask your local friendly gate man and he could have the whole thing done for under 25,000.... and think of the prestige and also think when you arrive home legless you don't have to fall up the stairs, just sit on the floor of the lift and press the button. And think of the bragging rights. "We have the only one storied house in Thailand that has a lift".
And when you get older and can't fall up the stairs anymore, just hop in the lift.
Even your missus would love the idea and solves the problem about getting wet climbing the stairs during the rainy season.

What a fine idea :)

Bangyai wrote:As for the clearance....yes, 1.40 meters is not much but our two door sports coupe is only 1.30 of the ground !

Unless you are also under 1.4 metres in height 'legless' is what you would need to be when getting out of that flashy sports coupe :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Bangyai » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Bangyai wrote:1) Cheap : ............trenches are dug for the footings and floor is laid in dirt.

Or, there is an option 4, which would not cost too much, look snazzy and give the missus no reason for complaint at all. Put in a small lift. The walls could be built out of superblock and the lift itself would just be a platform with a lift motor, similar to the motors they use to lift bricks to the second floor or open gates. An electrician could put in the stop start photocells in seconds. Just ask your local friendly gate man and he could have the whole thing done for under 25,000.... and think of the prestige and also think when you arrive home legless you don't have to fall up the stairs, just sit on the floor of the lift and press the button. And think of the bragging rights. "We have the only one storied house in Thailand that has a lift".

Not a bad idea that except it would make the house accessible to the MIL . Unless I changed the lift music to heavy metal and had the option of manually getting it stuck between floors for an hour or so.....that would learn her. Alternatively , my elevated design lends itself nicely to installing a small escalator. This could have two settings , normal for the wife and warp speed for unwanted guests which would eject said folk rapidly over the balcony into a vacant paddy field a hundred yards away. I need to do some cost analysis here I guess :)

As for the sports coupe , only 1.30 meters high plus once you got under the house there is an additional 40 cm available once you are under the leading beam so the idea of getting out on my knees is not necessary. Just don't park drunk and remember to keep my head down.

Still it's all a mute point now as I am beginning to see that the sports couple will have to be changed for a cheap pick up truck and might need to do this before leaving the city. :( The reason being , spares will be impossible to find locally so everything will have to come from Bangkok which could leave me motorless for days on end. It's a shame because I love that little car but it looks like its days are numbered.
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:52 pm

A point to remember when designing stairs if you're designing for older, or less able, people is it limit the hight of each riser to about 10cm. It will take up more room and make you have more steps but they are much easier to climb
image.jpg
Stairs
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:30 pm

^ Yes , that is true and worth considering STW.

As it is now though it looks like Ms Bangyai is going to have it her way and have just three steps. Apparently , 3 steps is considered auspicious by Thais . What is unlucky is an even number of steps ( not that I would be bothered ) They also don't count the upper floor level as a step.
In the interests of fungshui , the steps up are now angled at 90 degrees and wider spaced.

We will be leaving Bangkok on a Tuesday , either the 24th of Feb or 3rd of March. These are auspicious days as Ms Bangyai wants to see as many episodes of ' The Walking Dead ' as possible since where we are going we will have no easy internet access or True TV.

Also been looking at pick up trucks ( :( :( :( ) and may well trade in our little sports coupe for a Toyota Hilux tiger before we leave the city since selling a sports car in the boonies is an obvious bad idea.
Attachments
Actual build.1.png
Actual build.2.png
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Was up in Petchabun getting the planning permission on Friday. No problems there so total outlay for architect ( me ) and legal expenses, a couple of hundred baht. Have also paid 7000 baht to have the mains water supply run a hundred meters up the road to our plot.

Whilst up there we managed to find a suitable house to rent while ours is being built. We have paid up front to rent this place for the next couple of months . 3000 baht a month , two air conditioned bedrooms , kitchen ( no fridge ) and bathroom. Only 2 kilometers from our plot.

So far ..... so good ( it can't last )
Attachments
WP_20150213_005.jpg
WP_20150213_002.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:33 pm

Well the house sale went through smoother than we could have hoped and with all sides cooperating we managed to get away with paying just 25,000 baht in tax and land transfer fees leaving us with 1,875,000 to play with.

Just as well because I think with the final changes to the plans the 800,000 budget has gone out the window and by my rough calculation we could be looking at the wrong end of a 1,200,000 by the time the whole thing is done...and that still excludes perimeter walls.

For various reasons there have been a few changes and the build will now look like this :
Attachments
al1.png
3D rear.png
room layout.with measurements.png
Bangyai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story