Estimate Question

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Estimate Question

Postby stevenff » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:48 am

I'm starting to develop a budget for my house project in Thailand and was curious what others had spent per square meter for foundation, structure,walls and roof not including windows or doors. I plan on using colorbond roofing and 20cm superblock. I have a pretty good idea as to what my finishing costs will be as those can go all over the map according to one's preferences. As a side note, my house will be 2 stories, simple design and about 140 meters. Any responses welcomed. Thanks !!!
stevenff

Re: Estimate Question

Postby gliffaes » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:52 am

stevenff wrote:I'm starting to develop a budget for my house project in Thailand and was curious what others had spent per square meter for foundation, structure,walls and roof not including windows or doors. I plan on using colorbond roofing and 20cm superblock. I have a pretty good idea as to what my finishing costs will be as those can go all over the map according to one's preferences. As a side note, my house will be 2 stories, simple design and about 140 meters. Any responses welcomed. Thanks !!!

Would have thought 3 million max, depends how you build it ie if you can hire your own crew itll be cheaper.
gliffaes

Postby stevenff » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I should clarify my post. My question is how much did any one spend per square meter to get their barebones structure and roof up, meaning no flooring, windows, electric, plumbing, paint, etc.
stevenff

Postby pipoz » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:35 am

stevenff wrote:Thanks for the response. Perhaps I should clarify my post. My question is how much did any one spend per square meter to get their barebones structure and roof up, meaning no flooring, windows, electric, plumbing, paint, etc.

Hi, if you look at my build story "Happy House Udon Thani" on Page 2 , second item down, you will see a picture of the Structure (up to underside of Roof), plus the area and cost per m2. Some of my related structural drawing are posted in PDF file form, on Page 1 along with construction photos. My slab on ground area (footprint of concrete slab), is 151 m2 and my structure cost was TB 3974 per m2 (Labour & Materials).

I probably over designed the structure in some areas,because I wasn't going to be on site to supervise, such as with the column sizes and the concrete roof ring beam. But them I wanted to ensure I had something sturdy to support the roof (if they cut corners) and also wanted the beam effect at the top. So, I had to engage a Contractor.

My guess is that you could save some on design, possibly 10%, of what I spent.

You might save a bit more with your own day labour, but then you would have to supervise it daily yourself, not to mention finding the labour.

I can also give you an approximate labour and materials split on the structure, if that is of use.

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:52 pm

stevenff wrote:I'm starting to develop a budget for my house project in Thailand and was curious what others had spent per square meter for foundation, structure,walls and roof not including windows or doors.

You don't say where in Thailand. Expect a big difference in the cost of materials/labor from Isaan or Chaing Mai versus Phuket or Koh Samui. Double or treble even.
scudman

Postby stevenff » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks for the great responses guys. To Scudman, I am building in Sakeo province, Aranyaprathet to be precise, so similar to Issan in cost. Basically though I am interested in what others have spent to get their houses up the stage I described. To Pipoz, good info, super job on your build BTW. I see you used tile on the roof so I imagine structural costs could come down a bit if one is using a metal roof. From the photo on page 2 it looks like just foundation and structure. I was curious to know how much you spent on exterior walls per square meter. Thanks All
stevenff

Postby pipoz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:56 pm

stevenff wrote:Thanks for the great responses guys. To Scudman, I am building in Sakeo province, Aranyaprathet to be precise, so similar to Issan in cost. Basically though I am interested in what others have spent to get their houses up the stage I described. To Pipoz, good info, super job on your build BTW. I see you used tile on the roof so I imagine structural costs could come down a bit if one is using a metal roof. From the photo on page 2 it looks like just foundation and structure. I was curious to know how much you spent on exterior walls per square meter. Thanks All

Hi Stevenff,

My Structure at the End was TB 650000, but this was made up of TB 600,000 real cost (M & L) and another TB 50,000 to piss the Contractor off as keep the Thai's happy with each other. Hence TB 600,000 divided by 151 m2 = TB 3974 per m2 slab on ground foot print.

The under roof line area, is 187m2, so in hindsight I could have built my slab on ground a little larger, for a few extra TB and reduced my Rate per M2, a little.

1. My Columns were about TB 38,000 for Materials and TB 6,000 for Labour (F, R & P) = TB 44,000 Total, for some 20 No Columns (and these two 250mm x 250mm with 8 DB16 bars). Overdesigned by normal Thai standards.

2. My Concrete Roof Ring Beam was around TB 122,000 for Materials (reinforcement, roe, concrete & timber support formwork) and some TB 26,000 for Labour (to form, reinforcement, concrete & strip) = TB 148,000 Total for some 90 Linear meter of RFC 400mm High x 25mm Wide Beam. Again, most Thai builds, even those with Tiled roofs wouldn't do this and would probably substitute steel beams to support their roof structure. Most likely you will use steel beams if you are going for a Metal Deck Roof.

So you could take my TB 600,000 total and deduct my column cost of TB 44,000 and Concrete Roof Ring Beam cost of TB 148,000, and that would leave you with a total of TB 408,000 (for Materials & Labour) to get to Top of Ground Slab level, which equates to TB 2,701 per m2, if that helps you.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby stevenff » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:30 am

Thanks Pipoz, very helpful. I am basically trying to develop a construction budget so when I start to interview contractors I have a starting point. I have a fair amount of experience in the US doing interior renovations on apartment buildings, etc. so it's fairly easy for me to estimate that part. I also developed some property in Koh Samui so I have an idea how much that infrastucture should cost. I don't however have any experience erecting a structure so this is all helpful. Thanks again.
stevenff

Return to Your Building Story