Raised house in Nakhon Si Thammarat

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Raised house in Nakhon Si Thammarat

Postby somsip » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Rudi wrote:I understand you already have a builder? If not, do you know Lung Cham the builder from Tha Sala? He has build many houses in Tha Sala area (and the new hospital), he quoted us 3000Bht/SqM (work only)

All sorted out and work started now, but thanks for the suggestion :-)
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:56 pm

brianks wrote:We built our house in Khanom and have been in it for a year now. Quite a process and I did and do have some knowledge of construction. I see your sources of information as far as vendors is rather limited from what we know the true resources are in the area.

A lot fo what we've been doing with prices has been sanity checking. We've got local merchants that will be supplying the main materials, but we have been using SCG (just down the road from us) and Home Pro for pricing things up and seeing what is available. The builder is very keen for us to be present whenever he's ordering materials (which is something we need to follow through on as it hasn't happened with the initial materials), and for now we'll be paying him in stages for him to make purchases through his accounts.

brianks wrote: Our cabinet maker is located in Sichon also and does very good quality work.

Interesting, as I'm still not sure what the final idea will be on the kitchen. I'm leaving that very much to my wife, but always good to know what is available. Can you point me at some pics?

Thanks for the offer of advice too. All noted for now and I may well get back to you :-)
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:03 pm

pipoz wrote:Have a look at Galee's Build under New House Udon Thani, as he raised his beams off the ground, which appears to be a typical way that Thai Builders do build, rather than sitting them directly on the ground, like me.

Will do, thanks.

pipoz wrote:I think the two Builders who argued that "it would add a lot of cost" where FOS, as 80% of you cost of your foundation-slab in the material cost and basically, Galee's design of his foundation pads, column necks, ground beam and slab, is not that much different to mine.

I'd clarify that these were quotes from the architects, who had much less invested in fluffing up the costs in their favour. End result was that we were looking for some sort of consensus between the builders and architects estimates, and mainly came in at the same sort of amount, then one was 60% of the average, and one was 200%.

I do see what you mean about the costs of foundations being similar to the costs of piles, beams and floating floors, though as we're into it all now, we're happy enough going with what we've decided on. I much appreciate your observations as I do know so little about all of this so it's helpful to get information from others who have been there and done that, even though we're a bit past the planning and quotes stage ourselves now :-) And hopefully helpful for anyone reviewing this thread to get ideas for their own build.
somsip

Postby pipoz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:50 am

I'd clarify that these were quotes from the architects, who had much less invested in fluffing up the costs in their favour. End result was that we were looking for some sort of consensus between the builders and architects estimates, and mainly came in at the same sort of amount, then one was 60% of the average, and one was 200%.

I do see what you mean about the costs of foundations being similar to the costs of piles, beams and floating floors, though as we're into it all now, we're happy enough going with what we've decided on. I much appreciate your observations as I do know so little about all of this so it's helpful to get information from others who have been there and done that, even though we're a bit past the planning and quotes stage ourselves now :-) And hopefully helpful for anyone reviewing this thread to get ideas for their own build.[/quote]

One of the first rules of the Construction Industry is "Never believe an Architect"

I also shop between Thaiwatsadu, SGC Homemart & Home-pro, for all my materials. Each just has a better range in some areas.

Home-pro seems to have a slightly better/wider range, when it comes to the selection of some of the Finishes, items, such as Ceramic & Porcelain Tiles, Light Fittings, etc. Thaiwatsadu seems to be better (range & price) for all general building materials, such as cement, timber, plywood, plasterboards sheeting, paints, pavers, scaffold, tools etc. Just my own personal experience.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby somsip » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:29 am

pipoz wrote:I also shop between Thaiwatsadu, SGC Homemart & Home-pro, for all my materials. Each just has a better range in some areas.

Home-pro seems to have a slightly better/wider range, when it comes to the selection of some of the Finishes, items, such as Ceramic & Porcelain Tiles, Light Fittings, etc. Thaiwatsadu seems to be better (range & price) for all general building materials, such as cement, timber, plywood, plasterboards sheeting, paints, pavers, scaffold, tools etc. Just my own personal experience.

Pretty much my experience. The local shops have the cheapest, generic stuff but not always great quality or choice. SCG is a lot smaller than HomePro so less choice but a similar sort of standard. We do seem to be finding more things at HomePro which is a bit further away, but that's where we're finding the stuff we prefer, so that's just how it is.

And mostly these are fixtures and fittings, rather than the construction materials that are coming in now. These are mostly coming from places as local as possible, and the builder is handling the ordering of all of these. It's working fine so far, but it's still very early days.
somsip

Postby somsip » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:38 am

And now some progress that is a bit more exciting!

The pile-driver was on site for a couple of days with no real problems. The custom-made plles failed to turn up which caused a few day's delay, but the builder sourced some replacements to the same spec but longer. This meant some 8m piles were used in place of the required 6m piles. A couple of them went in all of the way, but others left protruded a bit and needed more to be removed to get them all on a level.

So the next day or so was digging down to a level around the piles, removing the excess pile, and laying a concrete cap on the top of the pile. The day after, the rebar cages have been placed on the cap in the formwork, and a cement truck has filled those up. So we now have a better visual of the relationship between the rooms and the property boundary and it all looks good :-)

20150321_162801.jpg
Pile driver doing it's thing

20150324_110230.jpg
Trimming the piles

20150327_160332.jpg
Cementing the rebar cages

20150327_155356.jpg
Rebar and formwork
somsip

Postby somsip » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Progress has been good for the last few days. The pour for the foundations all went fine, with the architect giving his approval at a couple of stages. and the holes have now been back-filled and it now looks a bit less like a minefield. The rebar cages have all been wired up for the beams at ground level (50cm above the current level of ground as we want to be a little higher and will top-up the soil later), and signed off once again by the architect. The formwork for these will be finished off today, and the concrete will be poured in the morning. The builder says it's all fine with no problems, which is just want we want.

20150401_164239.jpg
Rebar cages in progress

20150402_091128.jpg
Rebar cages nearly finished

20150403_151645.jpg
Formwork being finalised ready for concrete pour
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:02 am

Everything continues to go well. The ground floor beams are all finished, and the columns to the first floor are in place. An anti-termite system has also been installed.

This is the end of stage one according to the contract, so we've paid over another tranche of money, and stage two should see both floor completed, with beams up to roof level. So that should be quite exciting. We have to wait though as nothing is happening in Songkran week, which is possibly just as well as it's raining heavily on and off right now. No big deal, but might be frustrating if this carries on in to next week when they want to start working again. Still, not much that can be done about it so we'll see how it goes.

20150410_161235.jpg
Some columns were done the day before the others

20150410_161511.jpg
Tubing for the anti-termite system

20150410_162042.jpg
Columns are wrapped in cling-film for that stay-fresh taste. And to stop them curing too quickly I guess.

20150410_161652.jpg
Now it's starting to look like something
somsip

Postby somsip » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Some unexpected work done after Songkran, but not a lot. A bit of plumbing under the ground floor, some placement markers have been added for the first floor beams, and the rig is in place for the borehole. The soil has been delivered to fill under the floor too.

On the borehole, we've decided to hedge our bets. The neighbour had warned us that the water supply from the amphoe office wasn't great, and there will be more houses sharing this supply in the years to come, so we're having that plumbed in, but also sinking a borehole. These will both feed into a pressure tank so if one drops, we have the other. And if both drop or there is a power cut, we still have water. Our neighbour at our old house had this and it seemed to do the job well for him.

We'll be on-site tomorrow morning to see the builder again to review the coming week's planned work.

20150418_121822.jpg
Under-floor plumbing for outgoing brown water and sewage

20150418_121840.jpg
Pipes up to one of the bathrooms. The under-floor pipe connects them both, then feeds to outside.

20150418_121947.jpg
First-floor beam levels, and borehole rig on the right
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 pm

A slowish week.

The soil was put in place for under the ground floor, and the anti-termite system was used with it's first dose of insecticide. Then the soil needed to be watered and tamped down which took a few days with the help of a bit of rain. The rebar grid was laid over the next couple of days for the ground floor concrete pour, and the formwork put in place to hold it all in. A thin layer of sharp stone was put on top of the soil, and the rebar raised up slightly with a few stones where it was sagging. So the level between the soil and the top of the formwork was about 15-18cm.

We had 5 loads of concrete poured in today, and that's all been levelled off and looks alright to me. This should be cured by tomorrow and they'll start fixing the rebar for the first floor which is all stacked up and ready to go.

20150428_092749.jpg
Rebar grid finished

20150428_095404.jpg
Starting the pour

20150428_151921.jpg
All finished
somsip

Postby somsip » Sat May 02, 2015 1:44 pm

And now work can start on the first floor (UK standard). Metal beams have been welded in place with wooden batons in place ready to support the rebar as that is welded into place. Steady progress, so it's all fine.

20150430_152617.jpg
Fixing the beams

20150502_073958.jpg
Fixing some more beams

20150502_074434.jpg
It's looking sizeable now...
somsip

Postby somsip » Thu May 14, 2015 4:16 pm

The last 10 days have seen the rebar and formwork for the first floor being put fully in place, ready for the concrete pour today. Some of the floors are on a slightly lower level (balconies, bathrooms) so those have been floated on a rebar mesh, with plywood formwork underneath, which is correct to the spec but doesn't look incredibly solid to me. We've had comments from a number of people about how the structure has been very robust so far, so I'll have to go with the spec and the builder's experience.

The concrete will take 7 days to cure, then the main floor will go down. After that the columns will be extended to roof level, and they'll start on the stairs. So still lots due to happen this month.

20150514_095638.jpg
Rebar cages under bathroom

20150514_095119.jpg
Concrete poured via bucket on a crane

20150514_154316.jpg
And, finished
somsip

Postby pipoz » Thu May 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi and that is pretty good reinforcement placement work

pipoz
pipoz

Postby somsip » Fri May 22, 2015 10:20 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi and that is pretty good reinforcement placement work

Thanks for the positive feedback :-)

I look out for things that might look obviously wrong, and make sure the spec on the plans is being followed as well as I can, but I don't really have a clue. My wife tells me local people have commented that we are using big rebar and the structure is solid, but always good to get another point of view!

And it continues...
somsip

Postby somsip » Fri May 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Now the last concrete pour has cured, today we saw the concrete slabs for the remainder of the first floor being fitted into place. This was pretty straight forward with them being hoisted by a crane in groups of 5, then being carried and pulled into place by the team. The big ones were 100kg each, so the team got a few beers at the end of the day as a small thank-you.

A bit of formwork for the concrete pour over the slabs has gone up, with the rest due tomorrow and the pour hopefully going ahead on Monday. Some formwork is also in place for the columns for the front stairs so that might get done at the same time.

20150522_112219.jpg
The slabs arrive, with a few for someone else

20150522_113013.jpg
Hoisting the slabs

20150522_175033.jpg
End result a few hours later
somsip

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story