Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Postby oneday » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:11 pm

That was my thought also. They aren't quite all the way across the entire front of the porch, looking at another picture I have, but they look like they will be wider than in the drawing. In any case, it's much better than stairs that are too narrow.
oneday

Postby claynlr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Maybe it is on the wall between BR and porch now that I look at it....to tie the porch floor into the beam? If the porch floor is at a lower elevation than the house slab the porch slab would not sit on the beam....and the rebar would be to support the porch slab where it abuts the beam.
claynlr

Postby claynlr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:15 pm

I'm sticking with version 2!! haha Looking at the pic and your floor plan at the same time, it looks to me to be the bedroom wall beam.
claynlr

Postby schuimpge » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:58 pm

oneday wrote:
One of the first footer holes.
The footer with a size gauge inside.jpg

OD, got to tell your other half to enjoy the sun a bit more.. She looks scary white.... :mrgreen:
schuimpge

Postby oneday » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:42 am

So over the last couple of days they have been putting the forms on the floor beams. That is now finished and the business of making sure they are level has begun and will continue during the early part of this morning. Hopefully, if all goes well, we will pour concrete in the later half of today.

This video is being taken from the front-left corner of the porch; it briefly scans to the left-side of the house, then to the back and on around to the right-side and then the front of the house.
oneday

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:52 am

What ever the price that your builder is charging , he is certainly going to town with all the steel that he is putting into your beams which are huge from what I can see. They look like they could support a block of Apartments, not just a single storey house. But that's all to your benefit. :D :D
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:09 am

They certainly have gone above and beyond on the rebar...more than I could have ever hoped for. It's good to know you feel the same way.

BTW, no concrete pour today. CPAC couldn't make it or something. Anyway, the builder prefers to have one whole day for the pour so as not to split it between two days. I couldn't agree more.
oneday

Postby oneday » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Sunday was supposed to be a free day since we thought the concrete pour was scheduled for Monday. As my wife and her father were leaving for Khon Kaen to buy a number of items for the house they ran into the builder and his crew heading to the house. Apparently the builder had decided to order the CPAC this morning unbeknownst to us. They were heading to the house to await the arrival of the cement truck.

They must not have been first in line for the trucks going out today because it was a good wait until the first truck came. However, each time we called we were told “coming soon”. The first truck finally arrived at 12:40pm. They didn’t finish distributing all the concrete, via a hand cart and buckets, until around 4-4:30pm. The same truck had to return to the plant and get another load due to the shortage of trucks. That truck did not return until 5:30pm and naturally, as the sun set, lights had to be brought out and they continued working until all the beams were done, around 8pm.

This builder assured us he had ALL the tools needed to build a house properly and so far he hasn't missed a beat. The man in the light blue pants is using a vibrator which they have been using all along.

Video from the first truck.

Something they did that was unexpected, because I don’t remember seeing this on anyone else’s build, they put small rebar in the beams sticking straight up to strengthen the first layer of Q-Con blocks. This is what my wife told me when she asked. I suspected it was for the floor, but she said definitely they told her for the Q-Con block. I am assuming they will put this in the middle of each block so I think they have to drill a hole in the middle of the block. Otherwise, I don’t see it doing much good placed between the blocks, unless the blocks are made with a groove in the side. I'm sure someone knows the answer to this.

Picture of rebar sticking up in beam.
IMG-20141110-WA0003.jpg

So the forms came off today.

Scratch coat applied to the outside of all perimeter beams in preparation for the plaster to come later.

The next step is to form up the columns and pour them. In the meantime, I'm told the concrete will be kept wet for the next two weeks. All good...
oneday

Previous

Return to Your Building Story