Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:25 am

I got them from Cotto in Khon Kaen, had to order them ,if you get one of their catalogs you will see all the sizes in there, plus the different patterns of the grid. The whole grid lifts out easy for cleaning and as I said it's only a shallow drain itself leading to your pipe in the floor, so convenient when washing the whole floor. Don't forget to get your plumber to put a S or P trap under there before connecting to the drains , something Thai's don't bother with as their drains usually empty out in the street. You don't want that smell that's common in lots of houses especially if all the plumbing is connected to the septic. Sinks, basins and Toilets have the trap built in. :wink: :wink:
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:18 am

So there is an actual Cotto store in KK. Didn't know that. Do they also have a good selection of tiles that I've seen in Home-Mart?

Thanks for the info on the drain. I'll show it to the wife. As far as I'm concerned she needs to buy this soon, before the floor starts going in or sooner when the plumber shows up, if this is what she wants.

Mike, Mike, Mike, oh do I know about P-Traps. I'm American and I've lived with the smells here in my townhouse for over 5 years. There is NO WAY I will let them NOT install any floor drains without a P-Trap. This has already been brought up to the builder and he has said they use them, but it's one of the first things I'll remind my wife about when the plumber shows up on site.

What are your thoughts on plumbing vents? I know what they are for, but they just don't seem to be that necessary for me aside from possibly on the toilets due to the vacuum they can create. Compared to P-Traps I think Thai contractors are even less informed about venting even though I was shocked to see a small section on it in our design drawings.
oneday

Postby claynlr » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:45 am

O.D.---Can you post the drawing on the venting? That is something that I have been thinking about too. What I have read up on it, not so much about the odor. is the proper drainage (gurgling?) of sinks, drains, and such. Even though I know a lot of members have not had problems, I would be the one that does! A retrofit might be tough and I would rather hide the vent in the wall and through the roof than have it running up the outside of the wall. I am not worried about the vent through the roof, I can flash it where it won't leak (famous last words!!)
claynlr

Postby gliffaes » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 am

oneday wrote:Even though that is not what I was curious about; I should have been. You are correct. The B1 floor beam does go between the two bathrooms on the right-hand side of the house allowing them to be 5cm lower than the other rooms.

However, I believe your comment also answers what I was curious about and that was the size of all the other floor beams. The size of the bathroom beam would imply that all the other floors beams are indeed 20cm x 40cm even though the rebar for the beam in the second picture in my post above looks taller.

That brings to mind a question I have been debating about the bathrooms. I really do not like floor drains in bathrooms. My plan was to have only the drain in the shower and instead of having a lip you step over at the shower entrance I was just going to have them start sloping the shower floor at the edge of the normal floor so no real transition other than a different tile we will use. This would allow us to use only the shower drain for the whole bathroom and if we wanted to throw water on the floor for cleaning we could just squeegee the water into the shower drain. I just think floor drains are ugly and unnecessary.

Also, my wife wants a rain shower and the showers are big enough that very little water should end up on the normal floor. Even a lip at the shower edge would not prevent some water from getting on the normal floor.

The shower head in the master bath will be on the back or outside wall, not on the wall adjoining the bedroom.

Thoughts?

Overview of bathrooms
Bathroom-6.jpg

Guest bath
Bathroom-3.jpg

Master bath
Bathroom-4.jpg

Swap the toilet and shower cubicles over in the main bathroom, make the walls longer in the smaller bathroom?
gliffaes

Postby oneday » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:31 am

claynlr wrote:O.D.---Can you post the drawing on the venting? That is something that I have been thinking about too. What I have read up on it, not so much about the odor. is the proper drainage (gurgling?) of sinks, drains, and such. Even though I know a lot of members have not had problems, I would be the one that does! A retrofit might be tough and I would rather hide the vent in the wall and through the roof than have it running up the outside of the wall. I am not worried about the vent through the roof, I can flash it where it won't leak (famous last words!!)

This was all they had. It was a small section on one page.
Venting.JPG
oneday

Postby oneday » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:52 am

gliffaes wrote:
Swap the toilet and shower cubicles over in the main bathroom, make the walls longer in the smaller bathroom?

Hello gliffaes,

You may have misunderstood my request for "thoughts". I was asking for thoughts on any good reasons I should have floor drains and/or a lip on the shower cubicle because I hate floor drains.

MASTER BATH
Right now I'm very happy with the position of the shower and toilet in the master bath. I don't want the first thing I see when going into the bathroom to be the toilet on my right. I have plans for some nice tiling in that shower cubicle and that's the first thing I want to see.

GUEST BATH
Are you talking about extending the shower dividing wall in the guest bath? If so, then I was planning on having that wall extended a little more than the way it looks now. However, you did say walls...plural...so I'm a little confused on this suggestion.

Thanks
oneday

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Glad you are up to speed about P traps, most Thai's are not as you have found,that's why I mentioned them. Vents are another one, possible because they are not used to multiple fixtures on their drainage lines, but one is recommended on your line , by the highest fixture in your line is my Plumber's advice which I have no reason to doubt.
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Well it's taking a few days to get all the rebar formed for the floor beams. I keep getting the word that it's difficult to bend this thick gauge rebar, which is easy to believe.

Overall view of the floor beams as of today.

Closeup of one of the beefier beams.
IMG-20141102-WA0005.jpg

Another
IMG-20141104-WA0003.jpg

A little size comparison.
IMG-20141104-WA0002.jpg

Little concrete spacers to keep the rebar away from the sides of the forms.
IMG-20141104-WA0006.jpg

So far there has been zero complaint about our builder. He is professional and the workers he hires are professional. It's my understanding there is only one worker actually living on site. This means no children, which we were assured there would not be.
oneday

Postby claynlr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 am

O.D.--Looking good. Like the way they are integrating the beam steel into the column steel. Sure looks strong.
claynlr

Postby oneday » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Yes, I have little doubt this house will stand up for a few years and then some. I'm quite happy at this point.
oneday

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Just make sure they vibrate those columns properly ,the concrete could easily get blocked up with all that steel. :wink: :wink:
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 pm

My thoughts exactly so I've already preped my wife to pay close attention.
oneday

Postby claynlr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:31 pm

Just have them wet it down....it'll find it's way around the steel!!! haha
claynlr

Postby oneday » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:33 pm

So they have started putting the forms on. We were told a couple days for that and then the concrete will come. Could be as early as Saturday. The builder supposedly told my wife he will allow 15 days for the concrete to cure while keeping it wet. We'll see how that pans out.

Got a question for all you knowledgeable people out there. Today my wife sent me a picture of this rebar sticking straight up about a foot and a half in the air above the normal level of the rebar for the floor beam. According to her and pictures she sent, this is at the leading edge of the porch where the stairs will be. Is this something for the stairs? If so, it seems a bit broader than I thought the stairs would be according to the drawing. There are 12 of these big boys sticking up.

Where the red circle is if I'm correct.
Capture.JPG

Rebar
IMG-20141105-WA0003.jpg

If it isn't the left-hand edge or the porch then it is for sure the right-hand edge...where the porch and our bedroom wall meet.
oneday

Postby claynlr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 pm

I would guess they are going to bend them down later after the beams are poured and use them to tie the stairs into the porch. Maybe he took them all the way across the porch in case you wanted the stairs as wide as the porch, which I think looks good.
claynlr

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story