Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Postby oneday » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:28 am

...and so it begins in earnest. I've watched so many of you start building your homes and this is the part that sticks in my mind.

So the 23rd of October was the “Good Luck” day or the column raising ceremony day.
IMG-20141023-WA0002.jpg

The rest of the columns going up
IMG-20141023-WA0003.jpg

The invited guests
IMG-20141023-WA0004.jpg

The food
IMG-20141023-WA0005.jpg

All the columns in place
IMG-20141023-WA0007.jpg

The concrete being poured to anchor the columns in place
IMG-20141023-WA0009.jpg

Columns all in place as the sun sets on this day
IMG-20141023-WA0010.jpg
oneday

Postby pipoz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 am

Great oneday, you have made the start.

Just as a suggestion, something I will do on my next stage, I will fill the perimeter footing pads (if not the lot) all the way back up to ground level with concrete.
Why, because,
1.Concrete is cheap in Thailand and it only costs around another TB 14,000
2.After they stuff around forming the column neck, they never fill & compact the rest properly. They just dump the fill material in and it eventually sinks and can trap water on the perimeter columns (depending on the extent of your external paving).

pipoz
pipoz

Postby oneday » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 pm

So the "good luck" day was on the 23rd, then my wife had to go to a practice university graduation ceremony for her sister in Maha Sarakham on Friday (both her and her sister went to university in Maha Sarakham). That was almost an all day affair. MS is about 100k from her home. She got to relax on the weekend and then they had to go to Sakon Nakon for the real graduation with the Prince on Monday.

Anyone who has someone close to them or knows someone who has gone through a university graduation knows the Prince personally acknowledges, in some fashion, each and every graduate in Thailand. Each graduate stands in front of the Prince and gives a very exact and highly practiced hand gesture towards the Prince. It's a long and arduous process for the graduates and their families who sit around and wait and wait and wait. My wife and the rest of the family did not get back home until 11:30pm Monday night. The drive to Sakon Nakon in the opposite direction from Maha Sarakham is about 100k also.

Anyway, so the workers have been making the short columns, which I assume one day will support the first floor. They have also been making some ground beams which I can't get a handle on as to their purpose. My wife spotted two other supports in the back of the house that were not on the drawings. By their placement it seems they have something to do with the back landing and stairs off the kitchen. Another good sign from our builder; putting in supports that are not on the drawings. My wife also says the builder has come by to inspect and told the workers to redo some of their work.

To the pics.

A nice scene on her way driving to her father's home in a nearby village.
IMG-20141025-WA0000.jpg

Short column and form.
IMG-20141025-WA0002.jpg

Dinner one night, rat! My wife's father is very good at catching rats, ells, frogs and a special kind of bird for dinner. He loves hunting and shares his catches generously...no thanks.
IMG-20141026-WA0001.jpg

Pipoz suggested I have them fill the footer holes with more concrete and not dirt. I asked, but the word came back that it would make the house too heavy and the footers were strong enough. I didn't want to fight that battle so I told my wife to make sure they compress the dirt as much as possible that they put back into the holes so depressions in the ground would not form in the months and years ahead. My wife sent me this picture of a worker mixing the infill dirt with copious amounts of water, either that or he is...
IMG-20141026-WA0003.jpg

Ground beam on the right-hand side of the house where the bathrooms, master bedroom and another bedroom will be.
IMG-20141026-WA0004.jpg

Extra support by the kitchen. You can just see the rebar for the other support sticking out of the ground a little higher in the photo.
IMG-20141026-WA0005.jpg
oneday

Postby oneday » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Six more pictures of the site and the progress. These should all be in chronological order.
IMG-20141028-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20141028-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20141028-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20141028-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20141029-WA0000.jpg

So proof positive that the builder really does own and use a REAL concrete vibrator.
IMG-20141029-WA0001.jpg
oneday

Postby oneday » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:10 pm

Today we paid the first of 5 installments for the house.

My wife tells me the preparations for the first floor beams took 20,000 baht worth of wood, but I'm sure they will reclaim that for future builds.

A short video of the preparations.

Closeup of the massive size of the floor beam rebar.
Attachments
IMG-20141031-WA0007.jpg
oneday

Postby pipoz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:55 pm

Looks good, you will surprised how quickly they can put the structure up

pipoz
pipoz

Postby oneday » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:06 pm

So far so good.

This is what my wife relayed to me -- Apparently, the builder told his son if he didn't have the first floor on in 15 days he wouldn't get paid. I guess the son commented that the rebar for the first floor beams was very difficult to bend and so he didn't think he'd make it in 15 days. So it takes 3 weeks...I'm pleased with what I see so far.

The son still has a new truck his father recently bought for him so I think he'll be OK.
oneday

Postby claynlr » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:54 am

Looking good Oneday! Are your ground beams 20cm x 40cm? And do you know the size steel used in your beams and columns?
claynlr

Postby oneday » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 am

Sorry, I could not find the details on the ground beams, but let's take a closer look. The ground beams are certainly the same width as the columns which are definitely 20cm so they are 20cm wide. The height, looking at this picture, seems to be double the width so I'll say "yes" they are 20cm x 40cm.
IMG-20141026-WA0004.jpg

Now as far as the rebar goes, my wife tells me they used 16mm in the floor beams and the columns, though the column rebar plans show they were supposed to use 12mm and when I look at this picture I believe the column rebar is 12mm. I would certainly solicit opinions.
IMG-20141031-WA0007.jpg

Column and ground beam plans.
S3-Column & Ground Beam Plan.pdf
(196 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Floor beam plans.
S4-Floor Beam Plan.pdf
(207.97 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Column rebar detail
Columns.JPG

Floor beam rebar detail
Floor Beams.JPG

These last two are a little fuzzy, but when you click on them and expand them they get clearer. If you then click on the picture one more time it will enlarge.

I myself am curious about one thing. All the beams show in the plans to be 20 x 40 except for B1 which is 20 x 35. However, when I look at the rebar setup for the floor beams in the above picture they look to be taller than 40cm. When they have poured them and removed the forms I'll have my wife measure one and I'll get back on that.
oneday

Postby fredlk » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:14 am

oneday wrote:I myself am curious about one thing. All the beams show in the plans to be 20 x 40 except for B1 which is 20 x 35.

Most probably a bathroom which in Thailand usually has a floor 5 centimetres lower than the rest.
fredlk

Postby oneday » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:01 am

Even though that is not what I was curious about; I should have been. You are correct. The B1 floor beam does go between the two bathrooms on the right-hand side of the house allowing them to be 5cm lower than the other rooms.

However, I believe your comment also answers what I was curious about and that was the size of all the other floor beams. The size of the bathroom beam would imply that all the other floors beams are indeed 20cm x 40cm even though the rebar for the beam in the second picture in my post above looks taller.

That brings to mind a question I have been debating about the bathrooms. I really do not like floor drains in bathrooms. My plan was to have only the drain in the shower and instead of having a lip you step over at the shower entrance I was just going to have them start sloping the shower floor at the edge of the normal floor so no real transition other than a different tile we will use. This would allow us to use only the shower drain for the whole bathroom and if we wanted to throw water on the floor for cleaning we could just squeegee the water into the shower drain. I just think floor drains are ugly and unnecessary.

Also, my wife wants a rain shower and the showers are big enough that very little water should end up on the normal floor. Even a lip at the shower edge would not prevent some water from getting on the normal floor.

The shower head in the master bath will be on the back or outside wall, not on the wall adjoining the bedroom.

Thoughts?

Overview of bathrooms
Bathroom-6.jpg

Guest bath
Bathroom-3.jpg

Master bath
Bathroom-4.jpg
oneday

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:59 am

I don't know if it's too late with your floors but you could use the same as I did with the new stainless grates from Cotto that come in various lengths up to a metre long ,you put it at the entrance to the shower with all the floor sloping to it from all directions, you still only need one 100m.m. pipe which connects at either end of the grate and it needs very little indent in your finished floor by the time you tile it. much better than kerbs or lips to trip over and a positive drain for all the water.
Attachments
P1020185.JPG
Stainless grates from Cotto ?
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Not too late. First floor beams haven't even been poured yet. It may be too late in 2 weeks though.

Interesting. I took my wife to Boomtavarn specifically to look at floor/shower drains, but we didn't see anything like that. When I pointed out one that was square, heavy and about 6" long she didn't like it, so I told her up=to-you then.

Where did you buy this drain? I know Home Mart is a big Cotto supplier.

Do I gather you are a fan of no lip into the shower...just a smooth transition?
oneday

Postby oneday » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:29 pm

claynlr wrote:Looking good Oneday! Are your ground beams 20cm x 40cm? And do you know the size steel used in your beams and columns?

Well "claynlr" I was wrong. I had my wife measure the ground beams and she said they measure 30cm tall. This seems just fine by me, because as far as I can tell these beams just tie the columns or base of the house at ground level all together and they provide a base for two rows of blocks which will go between them and the floor beams above. It will be the FLOOR beams above them that do the supporting.
oneday

Postby claynlr » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Gotcha on the ground beams O.D....I built houses in the Southern US for 40 years (yes, I know this is LOS!) and we never had floor drains in the bathroom floor. We always had a curb into the shower and a glass shower door. I am sure some will say what if the plumbing leaks? But the kitchen sink could leak and you don't see floor drains in the kitchen! I never stubbed my toe getting into the shower. The shower water stays in the shower where it belongs! Although if one wants a floor drain, Mike's cover looks nice!
claynlr

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story