Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Build in Kalasin, Somdet

Postby gliffaes » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 pm

local metal shop can knock u up some stainless vents for peanuts, heres mine
Attachments
IMAG1209.jpg
IMAG1208.jpg
gliffaes

Postby oneday » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:26 pm

The rebar was delivered today or yesterday. It looks very clean and they have even placed it up off the ground on sticks to keep it away from any moisture. It's a small, but good sign. I hope the good signs keep coming.

oneday

Postby oneday » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:33 pm

It appears our architect drew up some pretty draconian specifications for our rebar requirements. The builder’s son (a very contentious young man) kept referring to the drawings and decided they hadn’t made the rebar close enough according to the specifications and had the workers redo some of their work.

The builder’s son said they are not given specifications like this even for government buildings.

As much as I like what I see, even I think it’s a bit much, but better that than not enough. My only concern now is that the concrete gets vibrated correctly because with the closeness of all the rebar I would think there is a lot of opportunity for a number of air pockets to be created. Nevertheless, these are still good signs from our builder.

I believe these are the bases for the footers.
IMG-20141020-WA0003.jpg

Here is one of the columns. It should be about 5 meters by my calculations.
IMG-20141020-WA0004.jpg
oneday

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:15 am

Those footer rebar squares are certainly the heaviest I've ever seen.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby oneday » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 am

Yeah, a bit of overkill, but better that than the other way.
oneday

Postby oneday » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

My wife wasn’t happy with the results from a kitchen designer at a store in Khon Kaen called Pairach Home Décor. The design was crude and the employee offered no ideas. I also have no idea where we could go from there. I will say she did like this store for its size and choices in all kinds of products for the home.

She then stumbled onto Kitzcho’s Facebook page and made a connection. She arranged to meet them in Maha Sarakham at one of their factories yesterday. She was able to sit down with a professional designer who could offer ideas. She also says she can buy directly from them at a discounted price, but the final price does not seem so discounted to me. It seems about the same as I could get in any store that sells their product, but we have a design so that task is complete.

Here is the design result.
IMG-20141021-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20141021-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20141021-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20141021-WA0002.jpg
oneday

Postby pipoz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi oneday,

I I looked at some pre-built kitchens in Boonthavorn, they actually had a excellent selection.

I posted some pictures and related cost under Construction -General, title "Kitchens"

pipoz
pipoz

Postby kiwimartin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi Oneday - You have a nice looking house there on page 1 - but this kitchen design is very dated. I wonder if you were to put the sink directly under your windows (as in your plans) to provide bench space to both the right and left, and took the overhead cupboards down to be replaced by open shelves then things might open up a bit...
On the plan there is space either side of the fridge to build full height storage. Just a thought...

Floorplan.JPG
Floorplan.JPG (36.29 KiB) Viewed 357 times

Cheers,
Martin
kiwimartin

Postby claynlr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 am

Or move the window but for sure center the sink and window. You need to be able to look out over your empire as YOU wash the dishes!!
claynlr

Postby oneday » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 am

The sink has been centered under the window this entire time up until this designer decided she would put her spin on the design. I discussed it with my wife on the phone and I will push again for the sink to be centered, but in the end this is her house and all final decisions on design are hers to make. Other non-design issues like "P-Traps" for plumbing under the shower drains I will not compromise on, but we have gone over all design ideas and I've given her my preferences.

I also would like a little more space on the right-hand side of the sink, but when I thought about it, it really isn't necessary because virtually all sinks in Thailand come with that area to place dishes for drying in an open rack while the water drains back into the sink. We have actually already bought our sink and it also comes with this area. When I look at our sink in our townhouse I notice there is no compelling reason to have room to the right of the sink. Nevertheless, I'll push for that window to be centered...again...for the simple reason of symmetry and looking over our kingdom.

As far as open shelves where the wall cabinets are, I'm ambivalent about that. I'm happy enough with the wall cabinets. As far as the design being dated, that is not a bother to me. What is important is to have the room to store things and the room to cook. We probably could have done without that second window on the left of the vent, but I like the idea of opening the kitchen up with both windows. They are only .9M wide.

As for the room by the refrigerator, that will be used for "something" after the house is built. Either shelving, more base and wall cabinets or maybe even a small freezer to store my falang food when I come up for a two week visit. In any case, that will be decided after the house is built.

Thanks for your thoughts. You never know when someone will say something we hadn't thought of and we can get it changed before it's too late. That is one of the primary reasons to post this story.
oneday

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:30 am

oneday wrote:My wife wasn’t happy with the results from a kitchen designer at a store in Khon Kaen called Pairach Home Décor. The design was crude and the employee offered no ideas. I also have no idea where we could go from there. I will say she did like this store for its size and choices in all kinds of products for the home.

She then stumbled onto Kitzcho’s Facebook page and made a connection. She arranged to meet them in Maha Sarakham at one of their factories yesterday. She was able to sit down with a professional designer who could offer ideas. She also says she can buy directly from them at a discounted price, but the final price does not seem so discounted to me. It seems about the same as I could get in any store that sells their product, but we have a design so that task is complete.

Here is the design result.

My comment is that no Thai designer will put in toe kicks. To me it's the first thing that jumps out and make it seem unfinished.

A way of simulating the effect if you are definite about having flat front faces would be to have a narrow strip (100mm to 150mm high) of a darker tile at the floor junction.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby oneday » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:02 am

I asked her to have the designer put a toe-kick in. She even called to confirm the dimensions of the toe-kick, but in the end it was either forgotten or decided against. I'm not too worried about that now because that can be addressed again before they start to build the concrete portion of the base cabinets.

If anyone noticed that longer door going all the way to the ground. I asked about it, because I was sure it was a mistake, I was told that is the "gas bottle" door. I didn't even know Kitzcho had a special door for that, so there will certainly be no toe-kick there to accommodate sliding the bottle in without lifting it up.

Kitzcho does not have a website they update very well. They have several newer items, such as a microwave cabinet, that are not on the website.
oneday

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 am

oneday wrote:I asked her to have the designer put a toe-kick in. She even called to confirm the dimensions of the toe-kick, but in the end it was either forgotten or decided against. I'm not too worried about that now because that can be addressed again before they start to build the concrete portion of the base cabinets.

If anyone noticed that longer door going all the way to the ground. I asked about it, because I was sure it was a mistake, I was told that is the "gas bottle" door. I didn't even know Kitzcho had a special door for that, so there will certainly be no toe-kick there to accommodate sliding the bottle in without lifting it up.

That sounds like a good idea: but you will need to carry the bottle anyway or have a small wheeled base.

So if you carry it then sliding it on the floor will guarantee scratches on the tiles, so a toe kick could work. If you have a wheeled base then the no toe kick option is good.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:22 am

If you want very efficient kitchen cupboards, do away with as many doors as possible with the floor cupboards. Opening a door to then kneel or bend down to access the bottom shelves is a pain, much better to open an individual drawer which can be full to the top with it's contents ,each one easy accessible . Try it yourself one day. :wink: :wink:
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 am

To Sometimewoodworker,

Getting a full 15KG, 66cm tall gas bottle through a 60cm door opening, with a lip to raise it up over, might not be all that easy. However, getting it through a 70cm door opening (special door) with no obstructions at floor level and without scratching the tile floor will not be difficult. I could place the bottle on a piece of strong plastic and slide it in or some such idea.

I realize you are passionate about having a toe-kick and I also would prefer to have a toe-kick, but I'm flexible about this kitchen design..."up-to-her".

To Mike,

A lot of truth to what you say, but drawers are almost double the price of door fronts and I've lived with base cabinets my whole life. My kitchen in the US has them, though I do have more drawers in my kitchen in the US. Each has their purpose and I do like cabinets and shelves for many items I store.

In the end this house belongs to my wife and her family. I may visit for up to two or three weeks once or twice before we move to the US so I'm not that concerned about the best design. Though I will try to get her to agree to center the sink on the window.
oneday

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story