Mae Rim Chiang Mai Renovation

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Mae Rim Chiang Mai Renovation

Postby inthaiguy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:32 pm

After 15 years in Bangkok I decided it was time to make a move. My wife and bought 1 Rai in Mae Rim for 2.5 m early 2014. We got it as a distressed property from Kbank, so the transfer was painless. The plot was listed at 3.5m, and they rejected our first offer of 2m. The land had a mostly built house on it, but had been looted but was structurally sound. We had wanted project we could improve upon, but didn't really want to start from scratch. I don't have much experience building and we thought this might be manageable.

Looked a bit hopeless at first:

Slightly overgrown:

We were able to get blueprints and photos of the originally finished house from 2008:

To finalize the handover the we need to measure the lot lines so the bank came and did some weed whacking:
Inside, things like the original wood stair case had long since been looted:

I had a 3d rendering made up on sketchup so I could work on ideas myself, and better communicate them. Found a guy on Freelancer.com to do it for about 3000 baht.

So this is where we started, a partially finished house. More in the next posts, as I get current.
inthaiguy

Re: Mae Rim Chiang Mai Renovation

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi, that is not so bad, look at my thread below My House No. 12.
It is surely much better and cheaper than to start from scratch. Just get the right idea and make the best from the existing. Few skilled people from the village can make it good, when you will be all the time around as much as possible.
Then you can always contract partial works and buy all material by yourself.
Klondyke

Postby gippy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:19 pm

I don't remember seeing many renovation threads, looking forward to this one.
gippy

Postby inthaiguy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:53 am

Update #2:
We decided to hire a project manager as we were noobs to this whole process and knew we could not be on site every day. We were recommended a guy for 25k/ month and his role would be to deal with contractors /labor and communicate the ideas plans we had to the builders. As I didn't want to be stuck going thru my wife for all communication, I thought this would be a good choice.

It ended up taking a couple months till we got started, so you can see the growth that happened since we last cleared the property:

We had to strip off the wood due to termite damage. All existing drywall ripped out:

Dozer came in to help level the ground and remove tree stumps.

Removed and damaged wood:

We decided we needed to open up the kitchen / dining area, as this had the nicest view. We had both walls knocked out and planned for large accordion patio doors to open to the outside on both sides. The goal here was to blur the lines between inside and out. Also we planned a more industrial / modern kitchen, so we will leave the concrete floorboards exposed as well as exposed electrical here.

Exposed MBR ceiling after drywall removal. Lots of space there:

Did the dance to get the temporary power hook up. Took some back and forth, but we managed to get it. Our project manager recommended 3 phase power for "future use" and after some research, I thought it's likely unnecessary, but one of those just in case decisions. Like in case pot becomes legal in Thailand, I'd be ready for a grow opp.

Lucky there was existing city water, so we were able to get that hooked up as well:

So after some gutting and clearing, we were actually ready to get to the building part:

We decided to focus on doing what we could to make the house livable. Extras like garage and add-ons could be done once we moved in and were on site. We also considered fencing in the property, but a friend recommended doing this after so we could used what was left in the budget on this lower priority item. We had budgeted about 1.5m to get the house to a livable state with a plan to finish in 6 months in December.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am posting here since I got some good advice here in these forums and would like to give back. Also would love to here any suggestions / ideas from readers.
inthaiguy

Postby setaputra » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Good luck with the renovation. Seems you've made a good start and you've avoided all the problems of starting from scratch.

Are you repainting existing inside and outside walls? And if so do you need only to remove flaky paint, rub doiwn and clean with detergent before repainting.

My Sarapii build is now just over three years old (Building a house in sarapii, chiangmai) and we've enclosed the outside kitchen and bedroom balcony which necessitates a painting anyway. Seems sensible to re-paint the whole house while we'ew at it and to a better quality.

Any comments, guys?
setaputra

Return to Your Building Story