House in BanThi, Lamphun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House in BanThi, Lamphun

Postby oil » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:14 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:You have a drainage problem already and you are talking of compounding it. Gravel is all well and good for drainage over a short period, but dirt builds up and eventually stops the flow of water, and in your case you have ground water at 180cm deep. If you're going to use gravel it should be large gravel and should be capped. Capping is mainly done with gavanised iron so that the soil stays out of the gravel.

yep thats what i am afraid of .... so when i would do the airwell it must be in some kinda of a closed compartment like a pool with drainage to the canal, just the pool will be filled with gravel this time ...
basiacally this should work, but not when i have the airwell inside the atrium, i believe its crucial for the airwell that its beeing flooded from time to time to keep it clean as well, and excess water i really dont wanna have within the house, just in case something fails ...

as for the galvanished iron so that the soil stays out of the gravel i dont quite understand can you please explain it another way, english isnt my native language sorry, but i highly appreciate any input
oil

Postby oil » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:43 am

Mike Judd wrote:... but there seems to be far too many walls and small rooms that restrict the air flow that you are trying to create, which would take place even with out any breezes. I would think that all the rooms especially on the ground floor ,need entry points low down so that air from outside can replace the air being sucked out by your chimney. The wide overhangs and thick outer walls will certainly keep the direct sun out though.

this is for sure open for discussion but i have reason to believe you trapped into a wrong thinking pattern with this one ....

As far i understand physics its that cold air is heavy and therefore on the lower level so with cold air in a building it will press up the hot air, we have a tendency to say hot air rises, which is true, but it does that only when there is cold air which presses the hot air up ...

if the ambient air / breeze is hot / warm there wont be happing a lot unless some pressure differences needs to be balanced out as wel can see in the Venturi / Bernoulini Effect, however of the temperature is the same it wont cool the house .... humans just feel cool from breezes cause of the evaporation effect, however this is not actually cooling anything at all.

So the low entry points of the air will be small pipes from the airwell, but no window whatsoever cause this can then only be ambient hot air.

but again, this is just my understanding of physics, i could be wrong hence i am open for discussions on this matter
oil

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:17 am

oil wrote:as for the galvanished iron so that the soil stays out of the gravel i dont quite understand can you please explain it another way, english isnt my native language sorry, but i highly appreciate any input

In the old days you would fill a trench with large gravel and cap/cover it with gavanised steel with small holes in it, which allowed the water to drain through it much like a French drain but on a larger scale. These photos are what is used now: http://wholeofhouse.bunnings.com.au/pdf ... _Final.pdf but I haven't seen them in Thailand, but you could build something similar at the start of your build and put it under the gravel if you are set on having an antrium/courtyard. It would save all the worry of flooding the house out during the monsoon season.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:12 am

As far i understand physics its that cold air is heavy and therefore on the lower level so with cold air in a building it will press up the hot air, we have a tendency to say hot air rises, which is true, but it does that only when there is cold air which presses the hot air up ...

.... humans just feel cool from breezes cause of the evaporation effect, however this is not actually cooling anything at all.

Well I get that explanation all the time and as far as I'am concerned if the air flow makes me feel cool that's what I'am trying to achieve. I still think that if there are no entry points for the outside air in those rooms, what ever air in there just gets hot over time and has no where to go except up under the ceiling trapped. What I call "dead end rooms" It's the movement of air we are trying to achieve isn't it ? especially in the evening and night when without the sun it has to be at least a little bit cooler if not a lot outside. With windows that are shaded from the sun by your big overhangs ,they can be closed up during the first half of the day until the house warms up again. Maybe small vents low down that can be opened and closed would work even better if you are not concerned with not having any natural light in those rooms.
Mike Judd

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Mike Judd wrote:.... humans just feel cool from breezes cause of the evaporation effect, however this is not actually cooling anything at all.

Sorry not true. Basic physics

BBC GCSE wrote:Evaporation
The particles in a liquid have different energies. Some will have enough energy to escape from the liquid and become a gas. The remaining particles in the liquid have a lower average kinetic energy than before, so the liquid cools down as evaporation happens. This is why sweating cools you down. The sweat absorbs energy from your skin so that it can continue to evaporate.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Oil,
do not give much thought (and money) about the air flow. I have yet to see a Thai who knows when to shut the window and when to open. They know for sure only when to switch on the a/c.

Unless you will not be the only one who will manipulate the windows, doors etc.
Klondyke

Postby oil » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:16 am

Klondyke wrote:Oil,
do not give much thought (and money) about the air flow. I have yet to see a Thai who knows when to shut the window and when to open. They know for sure only when to switch on the a/c.

Unless you will not be the only one who will manipulate the windows, doors etc.
good point, whats all the fuss about if wifey opens all doors over the day LOL
oil

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:31 am

Mike Judd wrote:
.... humans just feel cool from breezes cause of the evaporation effect, however this is not actually cooling anything at all.

Sorry I did NOT write that above , trying to do a Quote. Perhaps someone will show me how to do it properly so that is highlighted , I click on Quote ,then delete what I don't want in it ,but it still comes up with the rest of what I type and not with a cream background. ?
By the way what I said was , I feel cooler with most air moment , what ever the scientific reason ,so that's good enough for me and if it's cooler air from outside , so much the better, that's all I've tried to achieve with my house with not liking Air-Con.
Mike Judd

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Mike Judd wrote: Perhaps someone will show me how to do it properly so that is highlighted , I click on Quote ,then delete what I don't want in it ,but it still comes up with the rest of what I type and not with a cream background. ?

Quoted text must start with [ quote ] and finish with [ / quote ] but you must take out the spaces inside the square brackets.

and finish with

You can include the source like this [ quote = " Sometimewoodworker the omniscient " ] Quoted text must start with [ quote ] and finish with [ / quote ] but you must take out the spaces [ / quote ]

Sometimewoodworker the omniscient wrote: Quoted text must start with [ quote ] and finish with [ / quote ] but you must take out the spaces inside the square brackets.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pattayapope » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Quoted text must start with [ quote ] and finish with [ / quote ] but you must take out the spaces inside the square brackets

Select the text with your mouse and it will highlight, then click the quote button on the top right hand corner and hey presto its done.
pattayapope

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:50 pm

pattayapope wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Quoted text must start with [ quote ] and finish with [ / quote ] but you must take out the spaces inside the square brackets

Select the text with your mouse and it will highlight, then click the quote button on the top right hand corner and hey presto its done.

That dosen't work on an iPad. :cry:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:52 pm

[/quote]
That dosen't work on an iPad. :cry:[/quote]

Oh dear! :oops:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby oil » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 pm

he he we knew it wasnt you, so no worries, and yep ...
phpBB is a bit of a cheapish forum software so its not overly to nice to people, i think we gotta deal with that :D

anyhow .... point i was trying to make was that humans for sure feel cold due the evaporation effect when there is a breeze, thats why a fan feels cooler
and yes basic physics .... evaporation cools ... that how a fridge works ....

nevertheless returning to physics and the evaporation effect for cooling, in the same as outline above, having lower wind entries just dont work thats thai thinking of opening doors and windows over the day to catch some none existing breezes ....

thats all what i was trying to refer .... anyway ... besides that topic .... anything else you guys think about the plan which migh better be changed?
oil

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:10 pm

thats all what i was trying to refer .... anyway ... besides that topic .... anything else you guys think about the plan which migh better be changed?[/quote]

Thanks for that, about quote.! Mike.
As I said I have never liked dead end rooms because of nil air flow, but maybe your idea with the atrium will work
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:12 pm

It still didn't come up Cream.? Have to try again later.
Mike Judd

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story