House in BanThi, Lamphun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

House in BanThi, Lamphun

Postby oil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:44 pm

So finally my building story thread started and first of all i want to hear our guys opinion on the plan, cause now its still possible to change everything.

The idea for now is that the Outer Walls and Inner Walls (Facing the Atrium) will be Double Walls, with those Cement Block Stones, around 20 cm thick.
The picture showin the House facing North ...

The 2nd Floor is still unsure it depends on the costs actually ... its planned as a half floor
being at the outside walls 1.5 Meter High,
and and the Atirum inner walls 2.5 Meter High,
so its only half usable, mostly for storage, technical stuff, maybe water tanks and such ....
The idea is that .... some rooms are open to the 2nd floor so that the hot air can vent above and vent out of the building thru the inner Atrium Windows ...

Since most of the winds supposed to come from SSW, the slope of the 2nd Roof shall create a Bernouli Effect which tears out the hot air from the Atrium... at least theoretically LOL
so nuff said ...

here the pics, please fire away with input .... i prefer to learn form others then doing mistakes myself :D
oil

Re: House in BanThi, Lamphun

Postby oil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Ground Floor

2nd Floor (Half) no windows on the Outer Walls .... and i might completly skip the 2nd Floor

With the Roofs, this also shows the Roof of the Surrounding Veranda, which supposed to be 2.7 Meters around the house, so that all Walls (but foremost Windows) are in the Shadow

A view from the side.

Windrose, Chiang Mai for the past Years combined. The House is in BanThi, Lamphun, but geographically its closer to Chiang Mai
oil

Postby oil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:50 pm

The room colors are more some Feng Shui helper for me ...
just to make that clear
oil

Postby fredlk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:00 pm

oil wrote:here the pics, please fire away with input ....

It's a nice design, but there are 2 points I'd like to make.
1. You will get a lot of water in the atrium when it rains and so you have to make sure that your drainage there is good enough. A bed of stones and gravel a metre deep should suffice and on top of that you can put your paving or soil for plants.
2. I suggest you have more windows or openings to get the air flowing into and out of your atrium. To me they seem rather small as is.
fredlk

Postby Klondyke » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:43 pm

At last something we see what can be criticized :)
I do not see any passage to the adjacent swimming pool. :twisted:
Klondyke

Postby andymac » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Oil,

I really like where you're going with this, a good start, I've a couple of ideas you may want to think about.

As you will be going through the atrium on the ground floor to access the other rooms, why not move the staircase into the atrium and free up some internal space.
Also, consider flipping the upper floor roof line, so it slopes inwards towards the atrium. This would enable a covered but open upper walkway around the atrium, but provide more useful interior spaces - higher ceilings on the upper floor.
Takes on a Spanish feel.

To Freds point, this will increase the amount of rain run off coming into the atrium, but you can make the solution part of the design.

Just a thought :D
andymac

Postby oil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Klondyke wrote:At last something we see what can be criticized :)
I do not see any passage to the adjacent swimming pool. :twisted:

Pool is here, the map is not totally accurate, the pool will be prolly 4-5 meters away from the house
oil

Postby oil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:42 pm

andymac wrote:Hi Oil,

I really like where you're going with this, a good start, I've a couple of ideas you may want to think about.

As you will be going through the atrium on the ground floor to access the other rooms, why not move the staircase into the atrium and free up some internal space.
Also, consider flipping the upper floor roof line, so it slopes inwards towards the atrium. This would enable a covered but open upper walkway around the atrium, but provide more useful interior spaces - higher ceilings on the upper floor.
Takes on a Spanish feel.

To Freds point, this will increase the amount of rain run off coming into the atrium, but you can make the solution part of the design.

Just a thought :D

thx for the Input, yep actually the old roman style atriums had their roofing pointing inside and basially having a small water basin in the middle,
however with the amount of rain sometimes in the raining season i think it can get risky to be flooded from the inside :D

I am planning of having a air well as well, this will be like a swimming pool just filled with gravel, and will have a drainage to the nearby canal to get water out of there.
One of my problems already is that the pool we digged already had basially ground waterish even in summertime at 180 cm deep, which totally killed my idea of having a 4 meter deep pool.

but i got lucky with a tiny nearby canal which might be 2-3 meter lower then our land, so the idea is to drain the water around the pool and from the airwell into the canal, even in worst raining season this canal never had high water in there, so i believe it will do the trick.

i was thinking of having the air well inside the atrium, this would then be gravel already, and having a pipe leading the water out .... the only downturn i see with that is that i am unsure if i want to have so much gravel in the mids of my house, i would prefer to have some nice herbal garden there.
oil

Postby andymac » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Something like this maybe....
Attachments
suggestion.jpg
andymac

Postby oil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:51 pm

... the fact we are only 2 persons really is one thing where i want to keep the 2nd floor as a half one, i like storage space a lot, i have a trillion of books, so space is good ...
but even with only the 1st floor the house is 190 sqm, which might be a bit overdone ...

i just dont wanna run the risk that family member move in LOL

once again for the roof facing this way .... i believe that the Venturi / Bernoulini Effect will help to cool the area a bit ..
this document explains that a bit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tZsVZw ... sp=sharing

as you can see in the Windrose .... there is unfort. not much wind where i am living, so shadow is my friend all the way, cause i cant rely on winds here

you guys think the airwell will be better placed within in the atrium ...?
oil

Postby andymac » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:53 pm

oil wrote: i am unsure if i want to have so much gravel in the mids of my house, i would prefer to have some nice herbal garden there.

Why not a herbal garden in raised beds, with the gravel drainage solution beneath? I'm keen to get a herb garden myself, but I know by that time I won't want to be bending over to get cuttings :D
andymac

Postby oil » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:58 pm

once again for the Windrose....

So much for the Beaufort Scale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

and according to my feeling its most of the time calm no wind at all where i am living, so when thais tell me they design their houses for cool breezes thats a nice thing ..... if there would be breezes ....
but up in the north i am missing them

@Andymac,

yep i think that might be a good idea, stuff grows better in raised beds anyways ....
the only other downturn is .... that Atrium is basially the Center of my house, so according to Feng Shui where the Tschi is...
not really a feng shui expert either .... but not sure if a airwell is a good idea there ....

but def. food for thought
oil

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:21 am

Having an air well in the centre of the house to create a chimney effect for the hot air to rise seems like a good idea for an economical square build, but there seems to be far too many walls and small rooms that restrict the air flow that you are trying to create, which would take place even with out any breezes. I would think that all the rooms especially on the ground floor ,need entry points low down so that air from outside can replace the air being sucked out by your chimney. The wide overhangs and thick outer walls will certainly keep the direct sun out though.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:41 am

oil wrote:I am planning of having a air well as well, this will be like a swimming pool just filled with gravel, and will have a drainage to the nearby canal to get water out of there.
One of my problems already is that the pool we digged already had basially ground waterish even in summertime at 180 cm deep, which totally killed my idea of having a 4 meter deep pool.

You have a drainage problem already and you are talking of compounding it. Gravel is all well and good for drainage over a short period, but dirt builds up and eventually stops the flow of water, and in your case you have ground water at 180cm deep. If you're going to use gravel it should be large gravel and should be capped. Capping is mainly done with gavanised iron so that the soil stays out of the gravel.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 am

oil wrote:but i got lucky with a tiny nearby canal which might be 2-3 meter lower then our land, so the idea is to drain the water around the pool and from the airwell into the canal, even in worst raining season this canal never had high water in there, so i believe it will do the trick.

Wait and see what happen in January, February. If water still pours in the excavation - but not overly - you can extend the trench outside the pool outline and make it deeper, thus creating a well where the water be collected and timely sucked off. Then you should be free within March to pour the pool bottom and erect the walls.
Klondyke

Next

Return to Your Building Story