Koh Phangan Coconut Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Koh Phangan Coconut Build

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 pm

kiwimartin wrote:Cheer Pipoz - Thanks for the list. I am on to it!

For timber products and timber is expensive in Thailand, you might start by contacting several Companies in Chiang Mai

auseco.com Owned by a German guy I think and has a good web page with what appears to be quality timber products, dressed & undressed
www.Indochine-decor.com Has a good web page with a number of timber products, dressed & undressed

There are timber merchants in Nong Khai with timber arguably from Laos. I will drop into them in a few months time and noise around, see what they have

pipoz
pipoz

Postby kiwimartin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Today's progress - a storage shed (or perhaps a worker's dorm?)
7e39d3a2141d4cbe605098fc3d61e2cd.jpg

And a bloody big hole at the top end to nestle in the master bedroom.
deeb4a0e28e7c14ab09b4b306723bc7d.jpg

model03_03+contour+garden.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:03 am

Unless you are struck on the timber ceilings,you can't go past Gyprock painted white, especially if you want to light up the rooms. :roll: :roll:
Mike Judd

Postby gippy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 am

If you visit Bangkok check out 'Wood street'. I have seen T&G planks there, probably for flooring. But any good place would be able to find and mill up what you wanted for a ceiling.
gippy

Postby kiwimartin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:54 am

Hi Mike - I have looked carefully at the ceiling. I am just reading Fred's blog and love his ceilings. However, for me I plan to have very little painting done inside or out. The block walls will all be color rendered - inside and out. I am not totally comfortable with gyp board in this climate. So I will go for timber ceilings mirrored by terracotta, timber or waterproof laminate floors. I would like something with a slightly nautical nuance - my wife wants something a bit rustic, and here the twain shall meet. A country kitchen in a boat!
Good to have your opinion in any case Mike.
Nice to have your information Gippy - I will go down and take a look. I am guessing I could have my front doors made there too?
Cheers to you both...
This is where I am headed...
model03_08.jpg

99ceiling_220.jpg
99ceiling_220.jpg (12.3 KiB) Viewed 828 times
kiwimartin

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:46 am

Yes timber ceilings do look nice, I have them in 3 rooms upstairs where they are very high in a vaunted ceiling , the previous owner was mad on wood, western red cedar on all the walls in the bedrooms, a bit too much for me, especially as it's right out of fashion these days, so I left the ceilings and gyprocked all the walls . I seen loads of house on Sumui that have the eaves lining in a nice timber, have no idea what timber though. We have such a lot of timber over here in OZ ,timber for every application ,inside or out, apart from the treated Plantation Pine in different grades for house faming. Where as in Thailand it seems to be Teak or Teak, other species must be around, but not that easy to find. The laminated floors are all the go here now, dozens of different wood styles and with care you never have to touch them once down.
Mike Judd

Postby gippy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:05 am

I don't pay too much attention to hardwood flooring but on wood street in Bangkok the most popular woods seem to be 'makhar' and 'deng', certainly not just teak. The lumber yard I use can get in all different kinds of wood and get them milled for floors or ceilings as well.
Doors are available on wood street but don't seem much different than the doors I have seen anywhere else. They are usually built with wet lumber, several thousand brad nails and don't take wood movement into account, expect splits.
gippy

Postby kiwimartin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi Gippy - I will head down to Wood Street (Soi Pracha Rat 24 ) this weekend. Would you mind letting me know where your lumber yard is?
You are right - there are quite a few timbers here - Mae Daeng is one of the most popular, and its a lovely colour.
Current Hardwood Species available at M-plus Timber (they dont however, reply to my mails) include -

Teak
A beautiful and durable mulitpurpose hardwood that is often used for flooring, furniture and general construction.
Pyinkado Redwood
A luxury deep red very hardwood that darkens to a rustic brown with age. Used in flooring, interior and exterior projects.
Makha Wood
An extremely hard wood with distinctive reddish streaks. Serves as excellent flooring and construction material.
Paduak Wood/Rosewood
A bright yellowish red to dark brick red, streaked with darker lines often used in Decorative flooring, furniture, cabinetwork, tool handles, billiard tables.
Balau Wood
A light pale brown hardwood that turns to a deep oak colour with maturity. A cheaper timber that still offers superior look and utility.
White Thingan
A rare golden yellow hardwood, known as 'Takkien Tong' in Thailand. Usually used in flooring and general construction.
kiwimartin

Postby gippy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm

M Plus never replied to my emails either.
This place is a good one to start with, friendly staff and 2-3 speak very good English: https://www.google.com/maps/@13.809544, ... 2cXR6Q!2e0
It looks a little different now as the street view is over 2 years old. Their lumber yard is further down the street but start at this office.

Makha is one of my favourite Thai woods, I am currently building a tool cabinet from it. It seems to be the second highest priced though, not far behind teak. The big yards have imported woods such as oak, pine, beech, mahogany (African), walnut, maple and so on. Many of those are cheaper than the more exotic Thai / Burmese / Laos woods.
I have a small daeng board to play with, not done anything with it yet. I'm thinking about turning it into a jewellery box for the wife. It's a very dark colour. Makha is a bit like cherry, after working the colour is fairly light but after a while in the sun it starts to turn a much deeper colour.
gippy

Postby brianks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:14 pm

There is a very good wood store (lumber yard) on the main highway just before you reach Sichon (not too far south from Don Sak). All kinds of woods and wood products there. Its on the left side as you go south near Sichon and can tell it by the long and huge wood planks out front. They made all of the wood doors for our house and have many different designs in stock too. They do have some real hard woods there as they made a work bench for me with what must be Iron Wood as it was so difficult to saw to shorten the legs. Those chunks I cut off are quite heavy too.

This place is a lot closer than Bangkok.
brianks

Postby Klondyke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:52 am

It does not need to be always a high value wood (e.g. teak or may pradu - quite restricted). Few examples of more affordable wood:
Parquets_acacia.JPG
Parquets Acacia (May chamchaa)
photo 5a.jpg
Stairs Acacia (also the wall nearby)
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:04 am

Another few examples:

14082115a.jpg
The acacia as a solid one piece desk

14082117.JPG
American Ash Floor

14082221.JPG
White Oak Wall
Klondyke

Postby kiwimartin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks Brian - I will check this woodshop out. Thanks Klondyke, that Ash floor would look good on my roof. Actually, it would look good on my floor!
I have responded to your PM . If I can get this profile for 10-12mm I think it may work for the ceiling.
profile-11.jpg

Cheers to you both.

Does anyone have an actual price for Readymix - steng 180 through 280 in the Phangan, Samui, Dong Sak, Surathani area?
kiwimartin

Postby gliffaes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:46 am

are you not worried about termites?
gliffaes

Postby schuimpge » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:35 am

gliffaes wrote:are you not worried about termites?

Indeed.. In a moist environment like that.. It's going to be eaten away before you even finished it..
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story