Re: Hi, Thaipete here

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby Thaipete » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:31 pm

YOW! Now, that's real neat! :o :)

A big thanks, sirineou - and my gal was truly pleased when I showed her your pics and video. Not sure about "shown in red on the roof picture", as I couldn't see that one, but I guess my eyes ain't too good just now, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.... :?:

She reckons it's just about what she wants. I did mention that the rain and wind could perhaps be something she should consider, with such a "high" roof extension - the wind comes mostly from the side - and she said she'd take it into consideration (which will probably mean an even bigger/longer roof extension! :roll: ). Someday I'll learn to keep my big mouth shut! :lol:

Was going to print the government plan and make a few copies to be able to draw and experiment on. Great - except that I left my flashdrive in the computer in the morning! Ah well, another day, perhaps...

Buying a resale is always an option, but perhaps not a very likely one. We went to look at a house today. Plot was triangular (never seen that, before!) and a 2 storey house - upstairs was wood (teak, I guess). Most times when we see houses we get slightly disappointed, as nobody in this area seems to take care of their property. In this particular case the wood was dry, cracked and had never seen a coat of paint/woodstain. The downstairs cement part used to be white, now it's grey and black from the lack of love, the rain and no paint. The roof was...well...past its sell date. Man, it's a real shame how houses don't seem to get taken care of......We didn't bother to look at the inside and drove away again.

Cheers - and once again, thanks! :D
Thaipete

Postby sirineou » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Thaipete wrote:YOW! Now, that's real neat! :o :)

A big thanks, sirineou - and my gal was truly pleased when I showed her your pics and video. Not sure about "shown in red on the roof picture", as I couldn't see that one, but I guess my eyes ain't too good just now, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.... :?:

She reckons it's just about what she wants. I did mention that the rain and wind could perhaps be something she should consider, with such a "high" roof extension - the wind comes mostly from the side - and she said she'd take it into consideration (which will probably mean an even bigger/longer roof extension! :roll: ). Someday I'll learn to keep my big mouth shut! :lol:

Was going to print the government plan and make a few copies to be able to draw and experiment on. Great - except that I left my flashdrive in the computer in the morning! Ah well, another day, perhaps...

Buying a resale is always an option, but perhaps not a very likely one. We went to look at a house today. Plot was triangular (never seen that, before!) and a 2 storey house - upstairs was wood (teak, I guess). Most times when we see houses we get slightly disappointed, as nobody in this area seems to take care of their property. In this particular case the wood was dry, cracked and had never seen a coat of paint/woodstain. The downstairs cement part used to be white, now it's grey and black from the lack of love, the rain and no paint. The roof was...well...past its sell date. Man, it's a real shame how houses don't seem to get taken care of......We didn't bother to look at the inside and drove away again.

Cheers - and once again, thanks! :D

Hi ThaiPete
Your eyesight is fine, I decided not to include the picture with the red markings as it was redundant, but by that time I did not have the option to EDIT the original post. Sorry I should have mentioned in my second post.
No need for thanks. It was my pleasure :) Over the years I have learned a lot from this forum, that's why we are here. In a little while you will be in the same situation, and it will be you helping others.
It sounds to me like you are approaching this with the right attitude. and doing your homework.
In an other post of your you mentioned building something that will fit the environment you build in, and not sticking out like a shore thumb.That's an opinion I also share.
Firstly you don't want to be a target,with a house that screams out " Farang house with plenty of staff to steal, come and get me" :lol: . And you don't want to seem so wealthy that everyone will hit you for money, and when you say no, they will resent you for it.
The more I look at Thai Gov. Home #8 , the more I like it, the foot print is only a couple of meters wider than my two story design. But it is soo much easier and less expensive to build. I Might also change my mind and go with it.
I know a few people that have build it, and they are all very pleased with it.
I remember some one building it back in 2009 for about 1,000,000 baht.
The house seems to be about 100 sq Meters of living space,and and other 20-25 sq meters of outside space under roof, the average cost these days is 10,000-15,000 per sq meter, (some one with more recent experience might be able to provide a more accurate quote) So a 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 would be my guess.
Here is a picture of an actual #8 build with a gable roof in the front.
CIMG1461.JPG

I remember being told that the second bathroom was never used, and was used as storage. If it is only you and you wife,perhaps you might want to eliminate it, or make it smaller, making the living room bigger, and providing a space of an eat-out counter from the kitchen. and make the bump out a closet.Or make it a half bathroom, with space for washer and dryer.
If you go with a roof extension in the back, don't worry about the rain, one way to mitigate that is to make arched walls on the top like you have in the garage in the front.
If I was to build this model ( and I am seriously considering it) I would not have the roof extension, but instead do something like in the picture below
patio.JPG

We look forward to hearing some of your ideas. when you have a chance to download the plans and work with them, or if you find some other plans you like better to go over them
Best Regards
Steve
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby sirineou » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:20 pm

I found the thread about this house plan.
Not sure if I am alowed to post it here, if I am not my apologies to the moderator.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/607748-house-plans/
This is an other build of that house plan (it is a very popular plan)
This how they dealt with the back
sirineou

Postby Thaipete » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Another brilliant one, sirineou! Thanks - and yeah, right, no thanks are needed? Heh! - there's too little thanks in the world, nowadays - and I was brought up to appreciate anything, big or small, that anyone might do or help with. :wink:

Crossy's link to the government plans site must be world famous by now, I think, as his link appears in many forums. I already have this and the Thai language link, too http://home.thaibizcenter.com/FreeHousePlans.asp with other pics and the same plans are just numbered differently, I think. Downloaded all the most interesting or suitable government plans a while back (Thai websites have a habit of suddenly disappearing :mrgreen: ) and have made copies of them all, just in case.

The pics of the house that you posted (and the ones on your link) look really nice. My gal was very pleased at the finished product(s) and I'm pretty sure this plan (with some changes) will be among the top ones that we end up with. We're still going to wait around another 3 months before the absolute and final decision - I purposely tied up the building capital for a fixed 5 month period, just to make sure that there weren't any sudden or impulsive moves from either of us. That way, we can use the time so that we can figure out properly, what we really want. If, in the meantime, we happen across a house that we just can't say "no" to, then that's maybe a different story, of course. However, I ain't really expecting such an occurrence, so i guess the capital is okay for now.

Your mention of the arched walls on the rear roof extension is duly noted - great! - and we'll look further into that! A good suggestion is always appreciated(all suggestions are naturally very welcome).

Oops! Lunch time - and I'm busy in the afternoon, so will finish this by writing again during the evening.

Cheers for now :D
Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Evening already :shock: time flies!

I thought your adapted house and black roof pic looked quite cute and smartly done, though it probably wouldn't be practical out this way. Too many trees here and it would quickly be covered in dust, leaves and assorted flowers and tiny tree fruits that always manage to get blown around. Too, I rather suspect it could get noisy in heavy rainstorms, if it's of plastic. Mind you, if you're out in a place without tall trees then I can well imagine it could be very comfortable to sit under. :o

Finally got the room plans printed (plus a few copies) and next week we'll hopefully have better time to spend trying to sketch in what we want - that is if other things don't suddenly crop up like they usually do. Too, I've cut the plans in half (digitally) to perhaps make things easier to sketch - will make a printout tomorrow.

My gal nearly fainted at your price suggestions, especially as she'd recently read on a Thai forum that some guy had paid just under 1M for his build of this same house - though that was maybe a few years ago, who knows. We'll just have to wait and see, that's all.

As for the 2nd bathroom - she insists on it, partly as something we'd use during the day, but also for any guests. She doesn't like other people (than me) using "her" bathroom. Kitchen and bathrooms are important to her..... :wink:

Anyways, many thanks again for your ideas and suggestions - great stuff!

Thaipete

Postby sirineou » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:11 am

Thaipete wrote:Evening already :shock: time flies!

I thought your adapted house and black roof pic looked quite cute and smartly done, though it probably wouldn't be practical out this way. Too many trees here and it would quickly be covered in dust, leaves and assorted flowers and tiny tree fruits that always manage to get blown around. Too, I rather suspect it could get noisy in heavy rainstorms, if it's of plastic. Mind you, if you're out in a place without tall trees then I can well imagine it could be very comfortable to sit under. :o

Finally got the room plans printed (plus a few copies) and next week we'll hopefully have better time to spend trying to sketch in what we want - that is if other things don't suddenly crop up like they usually do. Too, I've cut the plans in half (digitally) to perhaps make things easier to sketch - will make a printout tomorrow.

My gal nearly fainted at your price suggestions, especially as she'd recently read on a Thai forum that some guy had paid just under 1M for his build of this same house - though that was maybe a few years ago, who knows. We'll just have to wait and see, that's all.

As for the 2nd bathroom - she insists on it, partly as something we'd use during the day, but also for any guests. She doesn't like other people (than me) using "her" bathroom. Kitchen and bathrooms are important to her..... :wink:

Anyways, many thanks again for your ideas and suggestions - great stuff!

How much this house will cost depends on whether you are going to be the contractor your self, or you are going to hire a builder to do all the work and purchasing for you.and the kind of material you use, Roof, kitchen and bath being the most expensive components.
And if you hire a Builder, the kind of builder you hire. they will range from Top line builder to the village home builder.
If I build this house my self I think I can do it for less than 1,000,000. but I work in the high rise construction industry and have a certain amount of experience. .
your rule of thumb will be between 8.000-15,000 bht per sq/m depending on the level of finish.
Some of the other contributors to this forum might have a better handle on costs, as they are involved in building right now.

If you want to play with this model you can download the free Google sketch-up program at :
http://www.sketchup.com/
once you have the program downloaded , go to FILE. scroll down to 3D warehouse,choose GET MODELS...
when the get models window opens, search for KKCsteve
Download model directly in to sketch-up
Once you download sketch-up and model, there are many tutorials on how to use Sketch-up on YouTube. but I can also walk you through some of the functions.
sirineou

Postby Thaipete » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Agreed - the more you want added/changed/improved, the more expensive the build gets.

Generally speaking, we're going after the original plans, with just the walls being moved/extended - plus an extended roof or covered area at the rear of the house. These are the only changes we know of.
We're not (yet) interested in any fancy things in or around the house - if it can be built as in the government plans (with our own changes) then that's just fine.

Kitchen- and bathroomwise I don't think we want anything special - but this time we'll have American Standard or Cotto type stuff for the bathrooms, as the toilet and sink we bought for our present house are really crappy. As
long as I have a sink to wash in, a toilet to sit on and a shower unit, then I'm quite comfortable. :mrgreen:

For the roof we seem to have already settled on Cpac Neo-Class tiles - or so the wife decided, at least!

In other words, we're aiming at keeping everything pretty simple.

Our intended builder lives just down the road from us - he's a local village home-builder, so hopefully he'll be more on the "cheap" side (but I won't hold my breath!). We've been out to look at some of his work and he appears to do a pretty decent job of things from what we can see. We noticed a few small things that we wouldn't accept, ourselves, mostly things like wood put up that left a small gap and some areas where insects and small reptiles
could get in under the roof - small stuff, really. The owners of the houses we looked at were very pleased with his work, even though he's perhaps more expensive than other builders in the area. The other builders we've come across we'd prefer not to use, as they seem to cut too many corners if they can get away with it, or use very
inexperienced workers. No doubt there are other builders around, but as yet we haven't tried to check them out. One problem is, that we've heard our intended builder has a full order book, so it could be difficult to arrange for him to do our build.

I reckon that ALL builders up this way never look much at the house plans, but just build what they think you want. I'm not even sure they can actually read and understand all of the official plans - I know I can't! :shock:

The builder we end up choosing will do all the buying of materials and all the work. We will present him with our material choices - for example we don't want green or brown floor tiling, which seems to be rather popular up this way. It's possibly very cheap, but we'd rather have something more pleasing to our eyes and to our senses - but certainly nothing expensive.

Many thanks for the sketchup link - I have to admit that I don't have the spare time to try and use it.
I still have a load of software and progs that I thought I'd get to use, seeing as I'm retired. Jeez, ain't got time for them, either, I'm busier now, than when I was working! :wink:

Oh, I've got the BOQ (in Thai) for this #8 government house, if somebody's interested in it (XLS document). It appears that this BOQ can be hard to find - or that it's incomplete. I can't vouch for it 100%, as it was my gal that found it - the BOQ can perhaps be useful for the builder, or if folks are planning to buy their own materials.

Once again, thanks for your comments and suggestions - most welcome!

Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:49 pm

2014-03-06 08.37.02.jpg

Hmmm...here are a couple of pics of the land we want to build on.

One photo is taken from around 65% of the land at the rear, towards the house we now live in. So there's still some more land "behind" the camera'

The other photo is taken from the round water trough (which you can just make out in the other photo, near to the house), towards the other end of the land, which ends around where the tall "brown" trees are, in the distance.

We have vague plans on building the house just after the shed (old toilet) and back towards the rear of the land - and maybe knocking the shed down. Depends on the size of the house, placement, etc. It's against local folklore to build your house "in the middle of your land".

Cheers :D
Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 pm

2014-03-06 08.37.30.jpg
Is this going to UL?

Ouch! Can't seem to attach more than one photo to a post......

Ah, well here's the other photo (taken from the rear of the land)....
Thaipete

Previous

Return to Your Building Story