Thaipete's build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Thaipete's build

Postby Thaipete » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Id stick a few blocks with cemnet round those valves and a top on to protect them. Pipes too shallowly laid for my liking.
One thing i learnt is to really "not care" about what the builders think at all as they REALLY dont care about you 9 times outta 10..............of course you decline anything they ask for with a long winded excuse and smile.

gliffaes

Yep, you're pretty much correct about the guys not caring much at all. Maybe it's slightly different here, where we know most of the guys working on the house (or know their families), but in the end it's not them living in the house that's being built, is it. I'd spent a long time before building, instructing the wife to specify things (in Thai) down to the least detail in the plans, if possible, so there would be as little confusion as possible. I even wrote a lot of (probably boring) specs for her to translate to Thai. Naturally, some of it got "lost in translation" along the way...and probably much of it was never really looked at by the chang. Unfortunately, my Thai's not that good that I can explain in the smallest detail about what I/we want. All things considering, I'm pleasantly surprised that we've even got this far!

As for the water pipes. I have no problem with the pipes being high or low - as long as I know for certain where they are. I'm considering digging out a narrow(ish) trench under the pipes and then filling the trench in with builder's gravel, maybe with a topping of finer gravel. But that's a job for the future - in about 6 weeks from now (we're tied up with work until then). :|

However, the brick encasement sounds very good and I'll weight that one in, too - thanks for your input!

Cheers :mrgreen:
Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Got home late from work today. The house was full of guys doing this and that - some left again shortly after we arrived. Near finishing time, we were called out to look at the work. The "main" worker told us that the chang had said that he wouldn't be doing any extra work (i.e. finish connecting the water pipes) until the last instalment was paid. First then, he'd consider the non-contractual work. Really? Hell, no sweat from us - we're much more interested in the contractual work being done - if necessary the other stuff I can get another to do - or do myself. We were guided around the house and shown what had been done today. Yeah, yeah - 99% of the remaining work had been done - great. :o

I noticed that the big mis-matching granito tile in the living room had been taken up yet again and replaced by a new, matching shade tile - good, that's a positive! Too, the bathroom wall taps were now in place and concrete and plaster had been filled in, where necessary. The wife found a few small things that still weren't as they should be, but things that could be fixed at once, almost as soon as she pointed them out.

We were asked whether we were now satisfied with the condition of the house - if so, then to pay up. I explained that there was no way I'd say "yes" to that, as we were only on a general tour and I wanted time to properly go over the house with pen and clipboard in hand, which couldn't happen until tomorrow, at the earliest. Anyway, the banks were closed, so the chang couldn't get his money until the following week. :D

In the end I said it all looked very promising - and we'd be sure to check out the house as soon as possible. The remaining guys looked very relieved and the wife reckoned they'd done very well, so she brought out a bottle of lao khao and bags of snacks for them to enjoy. They all sat out in the carport and drank, ate and chatted until it was time to leave.

With the notion that the house is basically finished, I guess we'll be paying the last contract instalment pretty soon.
Hopefully, any further faults that we may find when we go over the house, will just be very small ones .... :mrgreen:
Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:02 pm

We went through the house today. checking out what we could see (and reach). I had the stepladder along to get up higher where necessary.

We started outside and made our way around the perimeter, making notes of anything that needed fixing, whether it was the chang, another guy or myself that would do the fixing. There was certainly nothing "big" anywhwere, mostly just a spot of paint needed here or a small amount of cement needed there. The only thing I didn't like, was an inlet water pipe that was wet to the touch at an elbow join - not dripping, just wet. At the moment the water pressure is very low, but when the pump is connected, there'll be a whole lot more pressure - and I don't want the pipe to get worse.

We had a break for some breakfast and then checked the inside of the house. Again, it was all small stuff, mostly needing just a quick dab of paint to (for example) cover where screws had been put in.

All in all, it'd take maybe an hour or two to fix everything, providing all paints, cement and plaster were at hand.That means it would take at least a whole morning for one of the workers to do.. :lol:

The wife made a computer list of everything, which we got printed - nearly 3 pages of stuff, but as stated, all miniscule work. The chang's nephew came by in the late afternoon to assess what water pipes and accessories had been used, so we gave him the list to give to the chang. I expect we'll hear from him again very soon :mrgreen:
Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:52 am

Three guys came yesterday morning and worked the whole day, fixing this and that. Wow! They sure don't work very fast! :lol:

Around 4pm they called us to take a look at their work. We found just a few things that hadn't been done (or been done properly) and they got those things done right away. They were finished just before 5pm, so the wife gave them the last bottle of lao khao and a roasted chicken (5 star?).

Earlier in the day we'd gone to the bank and paid the last of the money for the house. Now it's all finished, save for the pump installation and kitchen cupboards.... :roll:

Thanks to all for their tips and comments - all very useful. A big thanks to Siri for all his planning advice and sketches!! :wink: :D

Latest and perhaps last(?) pic of the place :mrgreen:

2015-02-10 17.25.12.jpg
The end .....
Thaipete

Postby pattayapope » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:54 am

Looks really nice, now time to start on the garden and drive way, keep us posted on the final finishing.

PP
pattayapope

Postby olavhome » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Congratulations so far, it has turned out really nice. I like the house colour mix. :)
But what stated below last picture is not correct- it never ends :)
Having a house (and future garden) provides you with a lot of maintaining work, specially in Thailand, which may be a blessing :wink:
olavhome

Postby Thaipete » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:22 am

@pattayapope - Thanks. Yes, it's a good quality build, that's for sure. Garden and driveway will have to wait awhile (we're busy). Perhaps it's better to "continue" the thread in the garden? section of the forum, seeing as this is the building section. :D

@olavhome - Wasn't sure, either, about writing "The End" for the pic. As you say, it's really a never-ending story, even though the story should end at this point. The shade mix is a 50-50 thing - the wife chose the roof shade, so I pitched in with the shades to mix well - and they do, too! :mrgreen:
Thaipete

Postby Morang » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Thank for sharing your build. It has inspired me and am now looking to build the same basic house with some minor changes. We will put the carport down the side of the house and maybe extend the outside kitchen to ¾ the width of the back of the house. The basic layout will be the same mirrored plan to the original version of the plan as the house will face north. I am currently sketching up the plan but am having difficulty with the two bathroom lay outs is it possible to get your layout sketches to cheat from. Also if it’s not too big an ask what was the final build cost? I believe you went for a Build and supply contract.
Thank again for the build story
Morang

Postby Thaipete » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:17 pm

You're welcome. Ours is also mirrored, compared to the original plans. I've sent you a PM.....

Good luck with your build, if you decide to go ahead...Hopefully, some of our experiences will help you, if needed.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Thaipete

Postby sirineou » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi Thaipete
Nice to see the final result, much better than I had ever imagined
Your build will surely inspire others to try the same plan.It really looks great!!!!
your builder did a great job , and no drama, the slight difficulties you had are par for the course,nothing unusual
when I am ready to build ,if your builder travels to KKC, I would seriously consider using him
Come back with improvements landscaping,and advise to others from experience gained from this build.
Well done !!!
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Thaipete » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi siri - and thanks for your comments - and thanks for giving us that extra "push" to get the house that's now more or less what we wanted. Yeah, we're very pleased with the outcome. It's good quality and we feel good inside the house - and that's important for us. One thing's for sure - there's no way I'd consider building another house - too many misunderstandings and broken promises along the way, even though perhaps it all went off well compared to many other builds. We're staying here from now on. :D

I really don't think our builder would want to go to KK to build your house. We've already asked him about building other places (in case anyone here asked). He said he'd be quite okay about building up to around 75 kms away, but further than that could be a problem, as his guys wouldn't want to be away from their families - and anyway, it'd make the relative building cost too high for most people.

Naturally, we're not finished at all - there are still plenty of things to be done. Keep me busy for the next coupla years, I expect. :lol: We've finally started to clean the house - starting with the bathrooms. There's a lot of dust and dirt to get off the walls and floors, so progress is slow. Only got the reachable part of 2 walls cleaned today, but it's already made quite a difference! :wink: We'll be doing more cleaning as we get the spare time (which ain't much, either!).

Today a door guy came to put in a strong metal door for the kitchen at the rear of the house. It means we can have the kitchen door open without getting clouds of insects in the place. The door is pretty strong and the guy's done a decent job of it - all for 3.5K baht, too. That includes metal door, metal frame, netting, lock and installation. We could have had a flimsy mosquito net door for free (included in the house price). The guy next door has one - and it's quite ugly, too - even he ain't happy with it. We decided against the flimsy model and got this guy to make us a heavy steel door, instead. Looks really ok and it can be locked, too.
Attachments
2015-02-15 16.38.03.jpg
Kitchen door now has a protective steel door ...
Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:20 am

Just a small update on things.

We still haven't moved into the house yet - too busy! However, in odd spare moments we've cleaned the inside of the house (several times), cleaned the windows and cleaned the area around the outside of the house. :D

I've started on clearing the border area at the back of the house, preparing for the wall that hopefully will be put up very soon. The work is slow and hard - there are a lot of plants, saplings and roots to be removed. Most of them seem to be directly on the wall line! :roll:

Also, we went "wild" a few days ago and got satellite tv installed, which was quite some experience. We're upcountry, so there aren't many places to buy satellite equipment, but after asking at 3 places we chose the first place we'd asked, mainly as the other 2 places knew next to nothing about what they were selling. The place we chose didn't know a great deal, either, for when I asked whether the satellite packages we were interested in included a KU-band LNB - the guy just said he'd never heard of that channel. :shock: After I explained what it was, he said they didn't stock them. The question was, why did they advertise a C-band and KU-band package, but had no KU-band LNBs - weird! We (well, the wife) settled on a package that included HD channels and the channels she was after. I don't really watch tv (maybe just the news), so she's free to choose what she wants. The guy said he'd come out and install the package later on in the morning - good. We went off home and the guy turned up about an hour later. He proceeded to put up the 5-foot dish and got the wall bracket in place - just to find that he couldn't put the dish in place, as the roof was in the way. Yeah, right! He said he'd need to move the dish to another place. Not after boring holes in the wall, you ain't! I asked if they had a longer wall bracket - no, but we could drive to the recycling place down the road and get an extension pole welded onto the bracket. Jeez - okay - and off we went. They fortunately had a suitable pole and the guy said a one foot cut-off ought to be enough. No way, I said, take around 3 foot instead - as the used pole was only around 3.5 foot, but with a damaged end. If the pole was too long then no sweat, but if it was still too short then we'd just have to repeat the whole process again. I paid the 40 baht for the pole, cutting and welding and we drove back home, leaving the guy to wait for the finished pole. He came later on and got the wall bracket in place and the dish up. The pole extension was just the right length - no room to spare, either. We left him to it and had lunch. Later in the afternoon he was ready to try out the satellite. I'd got the new tv in place and he asked where the tv aerial connection cables were. Hell, ain't there one in the satellite pack box? Nope. A new tv only has a remote - no cables of any kind, here in Thailand. He said he'd have to drive back to the shop to get some aerial connectors. Ya don't carry that sort of stuff around with you? Nope. I asked him to make an extra cable set, for later use - sure, no problem. Later on, he came back and got the aerial cable made and everything connected. No signal. He went up to the inside roof area to take a look, coming back and saying that the tv aerial plugs in the bedrooms hadn't been connected in any way at all, there was just wire hanging under the roof. Nice! I silently swore at the power installation guys - these bastards had insisted that we'd just need to connect the outside wire to a satellite dish, plug in a tv in any room and we were ready to go. The guy borrowed some power tape from me and fixed the roof cable so we could at least get a signal in the living room. Yay! and the wife was verily pleased! A whole bunch of tv channels for her to get lost in - plus some extra channels that were free to watch for a whole year. We thanked the guy and paid the 4300 baht bill for the package (including installation), which I thought was pretty cheap for 220 plus channels and no further costs. We also gave a 200 baht tip for his extra work, which he certainly wasn't required to do. I'll have to buy a splitter and get the other rooms connected - but that's another story.

:mrgreen:
Attachments
20150315_094332.jpg
New satellite system - only Thai & Asian channels (I think). Border area cleared, too - now I just have to get the posts up out of the ground!
Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Just got the bill for the installation of the outside (of the house) water pipes, valves, concrete water tank base and connection of pump and water tank - all materials included in the price. There are 5 outside taps - one at each "corner" of the house and an extra one in the outside kitchen. The work was finished a while back and the installation seems to be working well, though we still have some problems with some of the bathroom sanitary ware not working as it should. The wife has now informed the chang and we'll wait and see what happens - before paying the 3,600 baht installation bill of course ..... :mrgreen:

2015-03-15 11.28.30.jpg
Base for water tank being made and balloon being fitted to the tank ....

2015-03-16 13.49.55.jpg
Concrete base finished and tank in place ....

:D :D
Thaipete

Previous

Return to Your Building Story