Thaipete's build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Thaipete's build

Postby Thaipete » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:26 pm

<was split from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4379, Dozer>

@ sirineou

Our lot size is just under 1 rai (a rectangle), which is a nice area size to play around with. Totally correct about the smaller footprint, of course - though as yet I don't see any plans around, covering the rooms you describe. Not with our budget, that is - slightly under 2M baht (less if possible!). Your solution sounds really ideal - I'd love a bedroom on the ground floor, that's for sure! :o

We're "raiding" a few places on the internet that have plans (and naturally the govt. website), but they all basically seem to have the living&dining-room, indoor kitchen and a bathroom downstairs, while the bedrooms are all upstairs. If you or others found your plans on a website, or know of any good websites, then you're all very welcome to mention where.

Still, it's all early days yet and maybe we'll come across a site that has what we we want. In a couple of weeks I ought to have more spare time to concentrate on things - life is rather hectic just at the moment. :mrgreen:

Too, we're looking at 1-storey houses, as I'm apparently not as young as I used to be - and getting up and down stairs might get to be a problem one day. We already know of several 2-storey owners that don't use the upstairs any longer.

I did come across one website that said that construction costs for 2 storeys were relatively much more expensive than costs for a 1 storey house. On the face of it, it seems strange, seeing as foundations and roof area would be much smaller for a 2 storey. No doubt there are other factors (perhaps involving weight, thickness, stress?) that I don't yet know about.

Upstairs, Downstairs? That's going back a few years!

Cheers :D
Thaipete

Re: Hi, Thaipete here

Postby sirineou » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:36 pm

I did my own design. and plan to build it on my own, but I work in the industry and have many years of experience.
you can also make your own design, take it to an engineer and for about the same amount that would cost to buy the plans from a website, have him draw plans for you.If you visit the local building office in the area where you plan to build, they might have plans available, or the guy who works there would be happy to draw plans for you and make some extra money. An advantage with that would be that, since it is his own plans he would have no problem signing off on them.
A two story house is a little more expensive,because it is a little more difficult to build.It requires stairs, , beams to support the floor above, prestressed concrete planks to pour the second floor slab, etc.
Since I will be building my own,and plan to keep my design simple, I estimate my build to be less than 10,000 bht a square meter.
attached below is an animation of the my design, if it is something that works for you , you are welcome to modify it to meet your needs.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Thaipete » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Hey, that's a really good vid! Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun building that house, too! Thanks for posting it - and I hope others can maybe use some of your ideas, if they're looking for some good initiative.

Well, THAT explains why 2-storeys are more expensive than 1-storeys to build!

Yep - we did just that with our "mini" house on the land - the guy at the building department made the drawings and got them stamped without any problems. That was just a 6x5M house, no frills and just the bare necessities.

We rather like the online govt. plans that are available, but can't find any plans to suit what we think we want (yet!). My gal reckons Thais are generally pretty laid back about giving copies of their own house plans - maybe she's right or maybe she's wrong - we'll see. :wink:

Reckon I'll have to start a proper thread, as soon as I have something more definite to go on.

Thaipete

Postby sirineou » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 pm

The free government plans can also be modified, to met your needs. I am sure if you sat down with your builder , he would be happy to make these changes. Its not like the building department will come out and check after you build :wink:

This is some modifications I made to the 3bdrm 2 bath government home that would make it a lot better,with out adding much to the cost.Moved the back wall out by one meter, making thr master bedroom much bigger,moved the second bdrm back one meter allowing entrance to master bedroom with out the need for a hallway, made first bathroom bigger, and gained a linen closet. Made livingroom and kitchen larger. If you don't want the kitchen bigger, you can keep it the same size, making the back porch bigger.
Did all this by simply moving a couple of beams and columns.
Original plans
A-04.jpg

Modified Plans
single flr home jpg.jpg

With proper truss bridging the column in the midle of the living room can be eliminated
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Re single vis double storey costs I would venture to say that the main difference would that the single storey would have practically double the roof area,apart from no stair well to cover. Depending on the type of roof covering that could be a big expense. The only other difference I can see is the stairs required for the double storey. Other then that the walls /ceilings/ floors/ are mostly the same with the 2nd storey beams required replacing foundations in Thai style construction. (Western style load bearing walls usually follow up from below and so beams are not needed unless spanning walls. With the working at heights on the 2nd storey (Scaffolding ) a little extra there, you can see how it comes down to the roof costs vis stairs. With Western style builds in housing estates where the land is the biggest expense, a square 2 storey house has half the roof/nearly half the foundations and half the land needed than for a single storey of the same floor area, with wooden floors throughout it's the cheapest option. In Thailand for most of us it's more about choice, do we want to go " Up the apple and pears" as my old Cockney dad used to say.! :!: :!:
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 am

Just a personal choice: on a 1 rai plot I would build a single storey house. Admittedly there would be more roof to cover, but as others have pointed out, there would be no space-wasting stairwell, and construction would be much easier, avoiding scaffolding, construction of upper level concrete beams and concrete floors, etc.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:11 am

sirineou wrote:.
Since I will be building my own,and plan to keep my design simple, I estimate my build to be less than 10,000 bht a square meter.
attached below is an animation of the my design, if it is something that works for you , you are welcome to modify it to meet your needs.

Could you either post or send me a copy of your sketchup file?

Your plan is like we have planed to build, a bit similar to your design though it will be raised off them ground and the open space is on the opposite side.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby sirineou » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
sirineou wrote:.

Could you either post or send me a copy of your sketchup file?

Your plan is like we have planed to build, a bit similar to your design though it will be raised off them ground and the open space is on the opposite side.

Unfortunately I can't upload the file on the sketch-up warehouse because it is too big.
The file is on the cloud (Sky Drive) if you PM me an email address I will add it to the file and you can have access to it.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-windows-81-skydrive-folders.pageCd-storyboard,pageNum-4.html
sirineou

Postby Thaipete » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Wow! Extending the rear walls - didn't know that altering building plans was actually "allowed", but now that you've shown the altered plan - it looks really, really good! I think my gal just wet her panties - heh heh! :mrgreen:

We'd already had a few discussions about this particular plan, as we quite liked the floor layout, but weren't too happy about the two rear bedroom sizes. They ain't too big and after being cooped up in a small house for so long - we want a lot of room to breathe.

Now that you've kindly shown us that it's possible to actually MOVE the walls, we may just go a step further and extend the front/rear walls even further - might mean more columns, etc., but that's a problem for the builder. We're still tinkering over the plan, so nothings decided, yet. And we're still not ruling out a 2 storey alternative.

That was real helpful and it looks like we've already got a possible "positive". Thanks for your time and trouble - it's really appreciated. :wink:

Thanks, too, to Mr. Mike for the info about 2 storey builds. I'm still left with the feeling that what you might save on the total foundation and roof areas, you pay for in beams and floors. It's maybe like swings and roundabouts. When we get that far, we'll informally ask the builder about his rates for a 2 storey build - might just be enough to scare us off back to a 1 storey build pretty quickly! :shock:

I rather suppose that we'll end up trying to have plans for 2 or 3 different builds - and chat with the builder about all of them.

Just today I'd seen some great houses for sale in Udon & Chiang Mai areas - exactly what we're looking for and not expensive at all. Trouble is, they're all in gated communities - which we definitely ain't interested in.

Life ain't always easy :roll: but cheers, anyway :D
Thaipete

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:37 am

Yea sure , modifying plans no problem, most people here do it all the time.
I choose a two story home because I have a small lot, and did not want the house to take most of the lot, if my lot was bigger I would certainly go with a single story home. easier to build, less expensive, and who wants to be running up and down stairs.
The 3 brdm 2 bath government plan has a lot of flexibility.
If you notice, the columns by the bathrooms are spaced only two meters apart. You can move them 2 meters.
and maintain a 4mx4m grid. No extra columns necessary.
The partition walls can be places where ever you want, provided there is a beam under them to support the weight.
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:35 am

As everyone says, it's all about choice, and land size obviously. You said there are houses around to look at, if it's anything like Khon Kaen there are big new housing estates going up all over the place with mainly 2 storey houses being built to save land costs.They are ultimately going to be gated compounds but I never had a problem looking around while they were building. I don't think they were just one builder although the houses were very similar if slightly different with some designs. But there were lots of different Sub contractors and that's where I got my roofing guys from also the window and door guys. If you can find a house that suits you in size etc; that's the most economically way to go, because it's a case of repetition for the builder, as he knows what most of his costs are going to be to start with. Custom built houses to your special design are O.K. if you are the builder and capable ,other wise much more expensive for the contracted builder to do.
Mike Judd

Postby Thaipete » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah, i presumed there was a specific reason for the 2m column distance - roof weight/stress or something similar. The same thing occurs at the front of the house, too. If it's no big deal to move those columns and walls a couple of meters, then that'd give us even more room to play around with, should we like the idea.

I've suggested to the gal that the back walls on the plan could be built in a completely straight line, so that the small terrace/washroom area at the back of the kitchen would disappear, making the inside kitchen that much bigger. She insists on a covered (extended roof) area outside the kitchen to cook and wash clothes. That goes down well with me, as some Thai food smells like it could kill an elephant! :mrgreen:

If possible, I'd like any roof extensions done at the same time as building the house, as erecting extensions later can be a real pain.

Many thanks for your extremely useful tips - they're all much appreciated ! :wink:

Thaipete

Postby Thaipete » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm

We're "lucky" enough to have chosen our land a few years back, when prices were still reasonable. Reading what you guys are saying, it still looks like 1 storey works out cheaper and easier to build. Yep, we're mainly interested in a "suitable" house that builders are accustomed to building, maybe with a few alterations - not a custom build or specially designed house. Anyway, out this way (farming community) we've yet to see any really fancy houses and I don't really want our place to "stand out" from the others. Keep it simple but sturdy and everybody's happy.... :wink:

However, we're still keeping our eyes open for any good houses up for sale - we've already seen a lot, but most are old and falling apart and/or the land area is far too small.

Thanks for your helpful input - all is read and filed away for future use...

Thaipete

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:46 pm

In Thailand there are no periodic inspections during the building process, to insure proper adherence to building codes, such as we have in the west.So in my opinion,buying a resale, is a bit of a risk, as you really have no idea what the builder did. If I was to buy a resale, I would chose to buy from a respectable builder, with a reputation to protect, and a proven track record.
In many areas outside big cities you don't even need a building permit.
That's why I would chose to build my own. But of course there are headaches with building your own,
I would suggest, when you have the time, to read some of the many building stories in this forum, they are informative, and many of them are simply fun to read. Reading then you will get a feel of what's possible, how to do it, and what to avoid.
No need to reinvent the wheel, there is a lot of talent and experience in this forum :D
The 3 bdr 2 bath Gov. house is a nice , flexible design.
Notice how the bathrooms are bumped out under the roof overhung? no reason why the same could not be done in the rear bedrooms to provide some closet space. See picture below.
also as you can see the porch extends to the edge of the roof line ,making it a good size porch, but if you wanted the kitchen bigger, then an extension on the rear roof (shown in red on the roof picture) will give you all the room you need for a covered outside area. Remember if your wife, and lifestyle is anything like mine, you would be spending a lot of time outside. Also keeping the stinky fish sauce cooking out side is a very good idea :D . So adequate outside spaces are advisable. :)

Sorry I se the picture did not attach, I will attempt to re-attached
sirineou

Postby sirineou » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 am

Sorry by the time I got back to post the missing picture I had lost the EDIT option on the post reply.
So here is the picture of how the bump out closets will look, also a picture of a roof extension if you wanted more porch space in the back, and an animation of what the house will look with the closets but not the roof extension
Attachments
thai home.JPG
thai home2.JPG
sirineou

Next

Return to Your Building Story