Build near Mukdahan

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Build near Mukdahan

Postby CarryOnUpTheMekong » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:05 am

We decided when our little daughter was born that we would move away from the village and the home my wife shares with her family and build our own family home about 20 kilometres away close to the River Mekong. We bought a Rai of land 2 soi away from the river and then began to dream of our new family home. I still travel back and to from England,the home my wife has in the village never felt like home for both of us, so we needed our own space away from the extended family.
We would sketch plan the layout of the various rooms my wife being adamant that she only wanted a small 2 bedroom house hahahaha, this has evolved into a 2 bedroom en-suite large villa. In fact our bedroom is 6m x 5m and that does not include a walk in wardrobe and the en-suite bathroom and toilet. So what started out as a small design has evolved into something much larger, in fact the floor space is close to 200m which includes outside living space.
The House was self-designed to maximise the cool breeze that follows the River Mekong with hardwood half panelled windows that open to catch the breeze like yacht sails and East/West plan for the front and rear open living spaces, so at daytime the open kitchen and dining area to the rear are cool and shaded then in the evening the front veranda sitting area is cooled at dusk.
The Land is 100m long and 20m wide which we have cleared and in-filled then levelled off we have put a concrete perimeter wall at 2.5m high down both sides and 1.5m and fence panels to the front and rear, we partitioned at 50m so half the land is utilised for the home, think my wife wants to plant an orchard of lemon trees in the rear (up to her) this was expensive but in the long run it gives privacy, my intention is to have a swimming pool area at the rear of the house once the house is completed.
We have used a local builder having seen a beautiful house he previously built to high standards in my wife's village and he has been excellent and thorough. anyone around my area thinking of building a home i would recommend this guy no hesitation, language barriers have been difficult as i do not speak Thai-Laos but im a very good at sketching and we would communicate through this media which worked well.
The build started in March and is expected to be finalised end of July, I returned back to the UK beginning of June and i am hoping to walk into a new home when i return to Thailand in early October, hopefully it will be landscaped and swimming pool ready for me to dive into, though I know its Thailand and things rarely go to plan. My wife and I talk every day so I can keep in touch to find out how things are progressing.
CarryOnUpTheMekong

Re: Build near Mukdahan

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:57 am

Good luck with all of that.! You are putting a lot of faith in your builder as you will have seen from reading some of our posts from members. With such an important project in your life such as building your home, not being there at all is really something new. But if the end result is O.K. with your wife and yourself ,that's all that matters .
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 am

CarryOnUpTheMekong wrote:My wife and I talk every day so I can keep in touch to find out how things are progressing.

Photos, we love photos.....Good luck, I hope your builder is not named Sid James or Kenneth Williams though.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:15 am

Welcome to the form.

Hope your build completes well. Not being on site can be problematic but if your builder is good there is a chance much heartache can be avoided. Great thing with the internet and you being able to sketch well problems and your vision of your house should be able to be accomplished.

Well one hopes, as RR posted pictures are appreciated.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pipoz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:07 am

That's good, only five months for a complete build, congratulations

pipoz
pipoz

Postby CarryOnUpTheMekong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Yes have many photos of everything from clearing the land up until beginning of June when I returned to UK. but when i upload the photos they are too big in data size? not very technical so need some assistance in reducing the image size so i can attach them, will get photos up soon.
Thanks -
CarryOnUpTheMekong

Postby CarryOnUpTheMekong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Just a quick question, will try and install a pool later this year which will be oval in shape 9x6m x 2m with 3x4m kiddy pool built onto it. I bought a 2hp pump from Ubon Wasadu ( Ubon Ratchiathani ) - anyone any ideas which would be the best option for a filter system for a pool this size. . . thanks
CarryOnUpTheMekong

Return to Your Building Story