Udon Thani Happy House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Udon Thani Happy House

Postby pipoz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:10 am

Mike Judd wrote:Just a word of warning in case it's needed, depending on whether you are having gutters or not,? they have a tendency to overhang the bottom tile quite a lot to let the water clear the facia and house ,which is ok if there is No gutters, but with gutters in a down pour the water over shoots . It's usually a matter of moving the 2nd bottom batten up a bit as most tiles can lap as much as you want. :?: :?:

Thanks Mike and we spoke about the tile overhang with the roofer at the start, when I told him "no gutters". So I guess he will overhang the tile accordingly.

My plan is no gutters on at all sides to start with. Possibly add to one side only later, and will deal with it them. The initial intention is that rainwater will run of the roof into a water feature at the rear and at the front & sides it will run off onto a paved perimeter area (outside the Verandah line) and then drain in towards several soak-a-ways in the gardens, probably.

I prefer the look of no gutters and the sound of rain falling, just have to make sure the water drains far enough away from the house foundation areas.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Just expanding a little. Previously bought HH1 (my Build location is in the Green).

Currently just securing the purchase of HH2 (which is another 750 m2) which will give me better access. Next step is to secure VC1 and VC3

pipoz
Attachments
Land Plan DWG-700-R1.pdf
Land Plan
(201.92 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Started to clean up the new block. Picture is not too flash
Attachments
Clearing the New Land.jpg
Clearing the 2 ngaan
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Nearly finished clearing the 2 ngaan. The old house and the toilet still has to go

have another offer in on the other block next door (to the west), the one with the rusty tin roof house. Its roughly another 1500m2.

pipoz
Attachments
Clearing the New Land 01.jpg
Clearing West Side
Clearing the New Land 02.jpg
Clearing East Side
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:38 pm

Finally a roof in the making, laying the reflective foil membrane and starting to load the roof with tiles
Attachments
12 Sept 2014 Loading Roof Tiles Day 113-01.jpg
Loading Roof Tiles on 12 Sept - Day 113
11 September 2014 Laying the Reflective Foil Membrane Day 112.jpg
Laying Reflective Foil 11 Sept - Day 112
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Stacked Tiles: CPAC Nuestile Black Steel Colour. Only a few broken ones

Not sure what the TG's old man is building in the background, but the pictures show some blocks & cement. Suppose I will find out in two weeks when I get there.
Attachments
Nuestile Black Steel Colour 01.jpg
Nuestile Black Steel Colour 01
Nuestile Black Steel Colour 02.jpg
Nuestile Black Steel Colour 02
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 am

Tiles look good. Get the roof finished and you'll feel like you're getting somewhere.

JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:42 am

jomoblues wrote:Tiles look good. Get the roof finished and you'll feel like you're getting somewhere.

JoMo.

Roof tiling is underway, another 3 -4 more days according to them. So far they are a no problem Roofer and have done a professional job
Attachments
12 Sept 2014 Loading Roof Tiles Day 113-02.jpg
Start of Roof Tiling 12 September 2014 - Day 113
13 Sept 2014 Laying Roof Tiles Day 114-02.jpg
Roof Tiling 13 Sept 2014 - Day 114
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Some close up pictures of what the tile profile looks like on the roof

pipoz
Attachments
Roof Tiling CU 1.jpg
Roof Tile CU1
Roof Tiling CU2.jpg
Roof Tile CU2
Roof Tiling CU3.jpg
Roof Tile CU3
pipoz

Postby Jack&Amy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 am

Hi Pipoz...roof looks great....

I was interested to see your reflective foil laid vertically and over the top of the battens....Down here in the South, I have seen that they run it horizontally and under the battens...

I'm told that the nibs on the tile will pierce the foil when it is laid over the battens and that under is better.....

Any comments anyone to which is the correct way or doesnt it matter?
Jack&Amy

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:50 am

I think under would be better and is the usual way in western houses that I have seen built, my roof in Khon Kaen was built by the framing company((Smart Truss) and they put the battens on as part of the contract so then the Tiling company just put the foil over the battens. It's no big deal I suppose in the end,but as I said, under is the right way, also mine ran the foil up the roof which is not as good as horizontal starting at the bottom and lapping on top to ensure any rain water that might get in for what ever reason (Broken Tiles) still runs down and out. Too late for me as I wasn't in the country. So important to be there even if you have confidence in their work. Your guys know what they are talking about.!
Mike Judd

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:09 am

Jack&Amy wrote:Hi Pipoz...roof looks great....

I was interested to see your reflective foil laid vertically and over the top of the battens....Down here in the South, I have seen that they run it horizontally and under the battens...

I'm told that the nibs on the tile will pierce the foil when it is laid over the battens and that under is better.....

Any comments anyone to which is the correct way or doesnt it matter?

Double sided foil Looped, not stretched, over the rafters held in place by the purlins is theoretically better.
But as I mentioned in another thread if it is done like that a unless the roof is fitted very soon after there is a much bigger chance of major damage to the foil.

However the foil doesn't have to be unbroken to function as it is being placed here it might get pierced by the nibs though that will depend on the foil, some are very resilient. It will get pierced by the copper wire tie downs that most tile roof systems use. But as I said it doesn't have to be unbroken to work the total area of anything going through the foil is tiny and so though it will theoretically reduce the performance in practice you would find it so small a difference you would be hard put to notice or measure it.

If you take a look at my thread on foil you will see that I've used 1" steel strips to attach my foil to the rafters in the kitchen and they get very hot by conduction. I can measure their temperature but can't notice any effect from them.
Last edited by Sometimewoodworker on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:21 am

Mike Judd wrote:I think under would be better and is the usual way in western houses that I have seen built, my roof in Khon Kaen was built by the framing company((Smart Truss) and they put the battens on as part of the contract so then the Tiling company just put the foil over the battens. It's no big deal I suppose in the end,but as I said, under is the right way, also mine ran the foil up the roof which is not as good as horizontal starting at the bottom and lapping on top to ensure any rain water that might get in for what ever reason (Broken Tiles) still runs down and out. Too late for me as I wasn't in the country. So important to be there even if you have confidence in their work. Your guys know what they are talking about.!

One reason why horizontal over rafter is more common in the west is that roof structure is different. Most roofs have rafters covered by a sheathing of plywood then if tiled battens on that. So the only place for the foil to go and work is just over the rafters.

I don't think that all steel roofs are very common, specially not in North America.

AFIK foil is not designed to, and never fitted to, help with waterproofing.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 am

I think (Could be wrong of course) that roofs differ in the U.K. and Oz to the U.S. The U.S. have always gone in for plywood sheaving (Plenty of wood) on their walls and roofs. I got that impression from studying building books on U.S. house construction and always thought it was such a great way of strengthening the wall and roof framing. But it's never been a construction method as I'am aware in the U.K. or Oz. In the U.K. before foil was ever invented for use in building, they use building paper which was 2 layers of thick paper with tar impregnated sisal between. I can only imagine that it's purpose was for mainly waterproofing although you could always see what roofs had it there back in the U.K. when it snowed. The roofs without it shed the snow quickly with the heat below coming up and out, where as those that obviously did have it ,the snow stayed up there for days later, so it must have had some insulating properties. I worked as a Tilers labourer for 3 months in 1949 while waiting for call up to do my compulsory Nation service stint, ( No one would employ you knowing you were eligible ) I can remember having to walk up the roof with 12 tiles on my head , only stepping where the nails in the battens showed where the rafters actually were as the whole roof was covered in that paper. Had a few skinned legs missing the nails and went through the paper. Only the Thai's would do it that way now days with all the conveyer machinery. Anyway here in Oz it's the same , rafters/foil /battens and then tiles. My first house in Oz by the way where I was very short of cash , I built half first to live in (Ranch style) and put double sided foil on the temporary end wall to keep the elements out , it lasted a few years but was deteriorating badly by the time I finished the house. Excuse the reminiscing, you Young un's :wink: :wink:
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 am

Mike Judd wrote:I think under would be better and is the usual way in western houses that I have seen built, my roof in Khon Kaen was built by the framing company((Smart Truss) and they put the battens on as part of the contract so then the Tiling company just put the foil over the battens. It's no big deal I suppose in the end,but as I said, under is the right way, also mine ran the foil up the roof which is not as good as horizontal starting at the bottom and lapping on top to ensure any rain water that might get in for what ever reason (Broken Tiles) still runs down and out. Too late for me as I wasn't in the country. So important to be there even if you have confidence in their work. Your guys know what they are talking about.!

Hi Mike,

This Roofer did the whole lot as a package, i.e. the framing, foil and tiles. My only problem was that I had him finish the frame early and then had to wait four more weeks for the delivery roof tile because of the colour that I eventually selected. Hence he put the foil on over the top of the battens. No big deal as I have seen it done this way many times before. I also suppose they run the foil horizontally and lap it that way, as there is less chance of any moisture finding its way through.

I think these tiles are reasonably flat/smooth on the underside and didn't see much on them that would pierce the foil.

This Roofing Company has been very professional so far, everything from their initial inspection to quotation,schedule/delivery and installation. Can't fault them

pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story