Udon Thani Happy House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Udon Thani Happy House

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 pm

I hope to profit from your experience. After backfilling the retaining wall, I will (at some later date) have a four strand barbed wire fence along the top, and just inside, the wall. The plan is to conceal it inside a hedge so that it doesn't feel like you are living in Alcatraz.
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Removing the old existing Bamboo House to make way for the new Kitchen Sala

pipoz
Attachments
Starting to Remove Old Bamboo House - Making way for Kitchen - Sala (1) (Large).JPG
Starting to Remove Old Bamboo House - Making way for Kitchen - Sala (1) (Large)
Starting to Remove Old Bamboo House - Making way for Kitchen - Sala (2) (Large).JPG
Starting to Remove Old Bamboo House - Making way for Kitchen - Sala (2) (Large)
Starting to Remove Old Bamboo House - Making way for Kitchen - Sala (3).JPG
Starting to Remove Old Bamboo House - Making way for Kitchen - Sala (3)
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:34 am

Bought some blocks and posts etc for the remainder of the perimeter fence (62 lm)

Found a place on the Udon Thani Ring Road, that sells these blocks (140 x 390x 190mm) for only TB 20 each. Much cheaper than what I paid before (TB 33). When you buy 2500 blocks and save TB 13 per block, it adds up to a fair amount

Post (3 m long) were TB 440 each

pipoz
Attachments
Fence Blocks - Delivery (1) (Large).JPG
Fence Blocks - Delivery (1) (Large)
Fence Blocks - Delivery (2) (Large).JPG
Fence Blocks - Delivery (2) (Large)
Fence Blocks - Delivery (3) (Large).JPG
Fence Blocks - Delivery (3) (Large)
Fence Blocks - Delivery (4) (Large).JPG
Fence Blocks - Delivery (4) (Large)
Fence Post -Delivery (1) (Large).JPG
Fence Post -Delivery (1) (Large)
Fence Post -Delivery (2) (Large).JPG
Fence Post -Delivery (2) (Large)
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:45 am

Just going to put in a few medium sized plants and them turf the general area, in the short term, to keep it tidy and weed free

pipoz
Attachments
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping  (1).JPG
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping (1
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping  (4).JPG
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping (4)
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping  (5).JPG
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping (5)
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping  (6).JPG
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping (6)
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping  (7).JPG
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping (7)
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping  (9).JPG
Workshop-Store - General Landscaping (9)
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Then off to put an AC, a Bed and a TV in my little Workshop Studio. Internal Room area is 31 m2 and the AC I picked was a Mr Slim 18,000 BTU and cost TB 29,600 all up, installed. It will be lucky if it averages working 60 Hours a month

Once the Kitchen Unit is installed, it can double as an over-niter for anyone who drops in, or drinks a bit too much. :lol:

pipoz
Attachments
Workshop Studio - Install AC Unit (3) (Large).JPG
Workshop Studio - Install AC Unit (3) (Large)
Workshop Studio - Install AC Unit (2) (Large).JPG
Workshop Studio - Install AC Unit (2) (Large)
Workshop Studio - Install AC Unit (1) (Large).JPG
Workshop Studio - Install AC Unit (1) (Large)
pipoz

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:44 pm

'Once the Kitchen Unit is installed, it can double as an over-niter for anyone who drops in, or drinks a bit too much."

Count me in for that one Pipoz, but catching you at home might be the hard part!
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:53 pm

pipoz wrote:Bought some blocks and posts etc for the remainder of the perimeter fence (62 lm)

Found a place on the Udon Thani Ring Road, that sells these blocks (140 x 390x 190mm) for only TB 20 each. Much cheaper than what I paid before (TB 33). When you buy 2500 blocks and save TB 13 per block, it adds up to a fair amount
Post (3 m long) were TB 440 each
pipoz

Thanks for the heads up Pipoz. I still have 400 140 cm blocks paid for from from my first order back in March (at the place next to the Udon Christian School - wouldn't surprise me to find that they have the same owner). I told them to hold off delivery of the last 400, probably until the October school holidays. But - wait for it, breaking news - I have quit my job in BKK and am now working in Udon. So delivery may now get brought forward again.
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:57 pm

ajarnudon wrote:'Once the Kitchen Unit is installed, it can double as an over-niter for anyone who drops in, or drinks a bit too much."

Count me in for that one Pipoz, but catching you at home might be the hard part!

I am back at the end of August for a few days, will catch you then

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Now back to what will be my new Kitchen- Sala and my attempts to be a Plumber/Drain Layer

Kitchen Layout will look something like at attached, although I have reduced the dimensions to 4.30 m x 8.00 m, overall. It will have a Kitchen down one end (about 4.3 m x 3.4 m) and a sitting eating area down the other (4.3 m x 4.6 m). The pipe work indicated on the Kitchen Layout drawing does not reflect what I have actually done, because I moved and re-orientated the Kitchen location and didn't update the drawing.

I couldn't quite work out where to place the sinks in the Kitchen, so I just threw a number of outlet options in. I will simply cap off those sink waste outlets that I don't need, later.

The smaller Line to the far right (in Picture 8 & 14) is a 55 mm / 2 inch, purely for the sink waste. Sinks will all have traps

The larger Line in the middle (Photo 8) is a 3 inch, main line. I basically stuck it in because I might want to add several floor drain outlets in the middle of what will be the Kitchen-Cooking area. Need some advice on whether I should have traps on the floor drain outlets leading to the main line. I can add a rod point to the open end sitting on the two blocks. Comments welcome

Both Lines will be set 200 mm into the ground, below the existing concrete surface. The underside of the Kitchen Floor slab will be 500 mm above the top of the PVC lines.

pipoz
Attachments
Kitchen Wall Layout Dwg 075-005-R2.jpg
Kitchen Wall Layout Dwg 075-005-R2
Kitchen Sala - Underground Drainage (7) (Large).JPG
Kitchen Sala - Underground Drainage (7) (Large)
Kitchen Sala - Underground Drainage (8) (Large).JPG
Kitchen Sala - Underground Drainage (8) (Large)
Kitchen Sala - Underground Drainage (14) (Large).JPG
Kitchen Sala - Underground Drainage (14) (Large)
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Another area on the north and back side of the Garage to tidy up and start working on the landscaping :roll:

It is never ending

pipoz
Attachments
West Side - North of Garage  (2).JPG
West Side - North of Garage (2)
West Side - North of Garage  (4).JPG
West Side - North of Garage (4)
West Side - North of Garage  (5).JPG
West Side - North of Garage (5)
West Side - North of Garage  (7).JPG
West Side - North of Garage (7)
West Side - North of Garage  (8).JPG
West Side - North of Garage (8)
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Have given up on the neighbor selling me the adjacent land, so decided to start the remaining 62 meters of fence on the north east side, then finish the north gate. You watch 3 months after I build the fence she will want to sell the land next door :cry:

Plus I am sick of the local dogs coming and shitting in the area at night.

It will be 2 m high and I will need add some bracing to the longest straight length of it (35 m), even though it is not retaining anything

pipoz
Attachments
North East Fence  62m (1).jpg
North East Fence 62m (1)
North East Fence  62m (2).jpg
North East Fence 62m (2)
North East Fence  62m (3).jpg
North East Fence 62m (3)
pipoz

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 pm

'West Side - North of Garage (8)'

The tree nearest camera I believe to be a magnificent shade tree. When mature it will be more than 10 m high and shade more than 10 m diamater at noon. Don't plant it too close to the house, and be aware that because of the lack of sun nothing will grow under it. My first choice for shade trees is Polyalthia longifolia - they are tall and slim (15 m high on maturity) and can be close planted - 1.5 m apart in a zigzag pattern will provide an impenetrable screen with a low midday footrint allowing other plants to survive underneath. You will find them all over Thailand, particularly around schools and public buildings.
Ployalthia longifolia.jpg

My purpose is to plant them along the western boundary to shade the house from the afternoon sun, while still allowing enough light for a good sized vege garden between the wall and the house.
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:37 am

ajarnudon wrote:'West Side - North of Garage (8)'

The tree nearest camera I believe to be a magnificent shade tree. When mature it will be more than 10 m high and shade more than 10 m diamater at noon. Don't plant it too close to the house, and be aware that because of the lack of sun nothing will grow under it. My first choice for shade trees is Polyalthia longifolia - they are tall and slim (15 m high on maturity) and can be close planted - 1.5 m apart in a zigzag pattern will provide an impenetrable screen with a low midday footrint allowing other plants to survive underneath. You will find them all over Thailand, particularly around schools and public buildings.
The attachment Ployalthia longifolia.jpg is no longer available

My purpose is to plant them along the western boundary to shade the house from the afternoon sun, while still allowing enough light for a good sized vege garden between the wall and the house.

Thanks

Your trees have a lot more leaves on them than the two I picked. The nursery I went to didn't have a big selection of trees. I will have to get the Thai name of your trees off you, as I may use them along my boundary fence area.

The two that I planted by my garage should end up looking like the picture below

I did buy 6 Teak trees and 2 Haa Nok Young - Delonix Regia trees, but haven't worked out where to plant them yet

Regards

pipoz
Attachments
North Side of My Garage.JPG
North Side of My Garage
Haa Nok Young - Delonix Regia.JPG
Haa Nok Young - Delonix Regia
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Not quite an extension to the house, but decided to buy some spare land for ???? not far down the road from the House :roll:

It fronts onto a main asphalt road, which is in very good condition, so that's a plus. Will buy 3 maybe 4 Rai.

Will find out how many Rai when the deal is done tomorrow. The TG can do the deal and I will stay far away to avoid any possible Farang price hike. :roll:

pipoz
Attachments
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm  (1).jpg
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm (1)
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm  (3).jpg
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm (3)
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm  (4).jpg
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm (4)
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm  (5).jpg
HF 3 to 4 Rai Farm (5)
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:03 pm

OK deal done the Thai way, Chanote Title checked :roll: , Deposit Paid :shock: , Receipt given :shock: and now off to the Lands Title Office to pay some extra money to speed up the survey and title changeover :roll: :roll: Speed up probably means 3 months :lol:

Apparently buying 4 Rai (7200m2). Will see what the Survey Check turns up

pipoz
Attachments
My New  4 Rai Farm   (1).jpg
My New 4 Rai Farm (1)
My New  4 Rai Farm   (2).jpg
My New 4 Rai Farm (2)
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story