Progress on new project in Phuphaman

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Progress on new project in Phuphaman

Postby Andy » Sat May 06, 2006 5:17 pm

Wow, a busy month. The wife has been in phuphaman for the last month negotiating our land purchase that has been ongoing for 4 months. We are happy now because it has been surveyed by the govt departments and correct deeds are being prepared, funny enough I had to appear at the land department and co-sign the transfer papers. I thought farang involvement was not welcome.
Anyway, in the last week we had a huge fish pond/shrimp pong dug, 1600 sq metres of fill supplied and compacted and our house plans taken away for Thai translation. busy week.
We are back in Perth now for a few months but hope to keep things alive via relatives and email etc. I would like to post some photos and plans and hope to get on to that after our wedding this week.
All the best
Andy :wink:
Andy

Postby Kondee » Sat May 06, 2006 7:19 pm

Hi Andi :)
So you will married next week? Congratulation and also "chokdee khun Andi"..lol.
Look forward to see some pictures :wink:
Kondee

Postby dozer » Mon May 08, 2006 5:29 pm

funny enough I had to appear at the land department and co-sign the transfer papers. I thought farang involvement was not welcome.
To explain what you probably need to sign it is a document stating that the land purchase is coming out of the wife's funds and you have no further rights to the property. This document is necessary since foreigners can not own land, used to be a legally married Thai woman could also not purchase land in her name - the procedure was modified so that it could be purchased in the wifes name with a declaration from the husband.

I also look forward to see pics as you go along! Sounds like an interesting and fun project!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Sun May 14, 2006 10:23 pm

dozer wrote:
funny enough I had to appear at the land department and co-sign the transfer papers. I thought farang involvement was not welcome.
To explain what you probably need to sign it is a document stating that the land purchase is coming out of the wife's funds and you have no further rights to the property. This document is necessary since foreigners can not own land, used to be a legally married Thai woman could also not purchase land in her name - the procedure was modified so that it could be purchased in the wifes name with a declaration from the husband.

I also look forward to see pics as you go along! Sounds like an interesting and fun project!

Ha ha, well that is probably true, the wedding was a blast and all went well. I will post some pics soon of the land, nobody in the village has a digital camera or pc to email me updates anyway but the pond is finished and holding water and the house pad has been compacted and had a final trim.
I'll keep you posted
Andy

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:04 pm

Hi all,

Well time has passed and lessons learnt, basically my floor plans were full of mistakes and impractical specs for the builder to work with , 10 points for his honesty.

He did indulge me to the point of converting my plans to Thai specs etc and then painstakingly pointed out my many mistakes and didn't want a fee, nice guy. All he asked was when I decided what I wanted to do to give him a call, smart business and now he has reaped the rewards by being contracted to build our new house.

It was so easy in the end, my wife and I stumbled across a Thai Govt web site that promotes different house styles and sizes from different regions of Thailand as well as shop houses, schools, dorms etc. The plans also come with a rough set of floor plans which are also available at government offices (Amphurs). It also comes with a guide of prices to build the house.

Well to cut a long story short we saw one we loved, contacted the builder and had a discussion, he was really happy because it was a house he "wanted" to build and in fact was pretty excited about it. See Below

We had a few changes without mucking around with the plans too much, added a western kitchen and a 32 sqm meter covered veranda on the back.
We get 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a huge TV /lounge room and a nice social area upstairs and downstairs. We couldnt be happier. Included in that price is the cost to pile drive 32 columns to more solid footings in consideration of the landfill, although the landfill was compacted in several stages during the process.

The builder we found when we were driving around and saw him building the local doctors house, very nice but funny enough it was a bit "western" for me but his workmanship appeared to be of quality and he is a nice bloke as well. Lets hope it all goes well. It is coming in at a touch under 2 million but I expect to go slightly over this figure as I remember things "I cant do without". At 250 sqm I think it is a reasonable price.

He mentioned that more farangs are moving into the area and could he show this house to potential clients in the future, I hope that keeps him on course for a quality build. Good luck to all
Andy
Attachments
New pond.jpg
3500 cubic metres were excavated for the pond and used to raise up the rice paddy for the house
House model .jpg
This is the display model made to scale. All floor plans and elevations are available on the website but working plans can be purchased from the local Govt.
Andy

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:34 pm

http://www.dpt.go.th/04work/house_model/doc_house.html

Hi all,
I should have included the website, it is a bit difficult to navigate if you cant read Thai but you will get there in the end, try shortening the address back to .th and try a few links from there. Of course it is very easy if your teeruk is there to help. There are some nice Thai houses when you know your way around suitable for all budgets.

It is worth remembering that we chose this design because it was a Thai design, I could see plenty of miscommunication and stress if I had followed my original path. I hope that this option will allow the guy to get on with the job with me sticking my beak in now and again checking the quality and materials used etc.

Here is a sample of the floor plans available on the site.

Footnote, today the village flooded for the first time in ten years, the house pad is well above the flood line but the pond is submerged......fish have made a break for freedom :cry:

I hope this is as helpful to others as it was to me when I was looking for a more ethnic style of house. :)

Andy
Attachments
A-03s.jpg
no30m.jpg
A-08s.jpg
A-05s.jpg
Andy

Postby SVielha » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Now you think about 2 mio. Baht, but when you start to built, you see other roof tiles or other windows and you want better doors and so on.

Than it starts to raise the price. I know that! :oops:

When I started, I thought 1.2 mio. Baht.

Than we planned the house bigger, than the roof tiles had to be more modern (and 50% more in price) and and and.

So I ended at nearly 2 mio. Baht. :wink:

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/sascha.vielhauer/Thailandhaus
SVielha

Postby SVielha » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Now you think about 2 mio. Baht, but when you start to built, you see other roof tiles or other windows and you want better doors and so on.

Than it starts to raise the price. I know that! :oops:

When I started, I thought 1.2 mio. Baht.

Than we planned the house bigger, than the roof tiles had to be more modern (and 50% more in price) and and and.

So I ended at nearly 2 mio. Baht. :wink:

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/sascha.vielhauer/Thailandhaus
SVielha

Postby runker » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:44 am

I really like the layout of this style of house. However, I would like to see the center court yard area screened in the way people create screen rooms to cover their swimming pools.
runker

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:43 pm

runker wrote:I really like the layout of this style of house. However, I would like to see the center court yard area screened in the way people create screen rooms to cover their swimming pools.

Hi Runker,

Yes I agree the central courtyard would be a good area for screening and that is possibly in our plans but we want to get a feel of the place and take a bit of time getting it right, we ended up changing a few things but so far at no extra cost , for instance we gave away the internal stairwell in exchange for an upstairs kitchen and we had the internal courtyard extended to wrap around the main bedroom to take advantage of our views.

The original plans are for clay roof tiles so we were surprised that this is also included as we were expecting something cheaper. So far so good, i was at the site yesterday and they just completed the foundation piling and were preparing the footings, I was very happy to see that they are being built to Dozers recommendations.

I will give a tip here, download Dozers guide to building and then compile a few pages of Thai to English translations for common building terms, for instance I have a section in a folder for foundations and concrete and then make up a basic list of related words that you may want to to help you clarify a spec such as reinforcing bar, width and depth of foundation, type of concrete etc., I found this method particularly handy for electrical and plumbing terms, accompanied by Dozers photos it made it a lot easier to discuss things with the builder. I guess it may also let the builder be aware that you are prepared to keep an interest in what is going on. My guy hasn't let us down so far but was very interested in my "download folder".

I will post some photos soon.

I realise the extra dollars will be needed for water filtration and a solar hot water heater etc, but the wife and I are realistic in what we want and really are after comfort and practicalities more than resale investment as I cant imagine that there would be much of a market in our fairly remote location, but then again with the increased numbers of pale skinned farang walking around you never know :lol:

Andy
Andy

Return to Your Building Story