Start of new build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Start of new build

Postby burnham35 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi, we are just starting our build near to Loeng Nok Tha. It is a very different experience to building in Europe, it has been very interesting
reading the other threads on here.
We chose our design out of a book, and picked a local builder after seeing some of his work.
They have just broken ground and are putting the pillars up, so will post some picture soon.
Just a quick question, is it normal to do these builds with no formal plans, or can some one recommend
a designer in the area, before things go to far along, I must admit the builder seems to know what he
is doing, but it would be nice to have some proper plans and drawings :D
burnham35

Re: Start of new build

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 06, 2014 6:12 am

This should be an interesting build. How can you put in columns without plans?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 06, 2014 8:11 am

burnham35 wrote:Hi, we are just starting our build near to Loeng Nok Tha. It is a very different experience to building in Europe, it has been very interesting
reading the other threads on here.
We chose our design out of a book, and picked a local builder after seeing some of his work.
They have just broken ground and are putting the pillars up, so will post some picture soon.
Just a quick question, is it normal to do these builds with no formal plans, or can some one recommend
a designer in the area, before things go to far along, I must admit the builder seems to know what he
is doing, but it would be nice to have some proper plans and drawings :D

But you do have plans, at least enough for your builder, you said "We chose our design out of a book" a point is that he has probably built something similar so dosen't need them. And if you did get formal plans he probably either couldn't or wouldn't read or follow them.

The book should have the basic layout and with a standard Thai house with an experienced builder that's all he needs and wants. They are all variations on the same basic layout of a 4m grid. If your posts are 4m or less he has no problem.

If you go out side the comfort zone with something like Fred's corner windows with no corner support or RR's" built to support 5 floors" then you need plans and drawings.

SWIMBO's Grandmums house plan was 4 sheets of A4 drawn by her, then supervision.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 06, 2014 8:45 am

I must confess to building my house without any formal plans as such. Just sketches as we went along with it once I had worked out the size of the rooms , how many and put them together as we decided with the criterior being all rooms to have windows or doors on at least two walls with a min of passage ways. So the first rough sketch was the column layout then it was just a question of where the walls went for the rooms. With a two or more storey house it would obviously need a bit more prior planning. Also what building experience you have had to foresee potential problems, that's where plans come into it, it's easier to alter houses on paper before you start to build.
Mike Judd

Postby gliffaes » Tue May 06, 2014 12:20 pm

www.floorplanner.com is a good site for rough drawings especially the furniture layouts, windows , doors kitchen worktops etc
gliffaes

Postby burnham35 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 pm

hi Thank you all for your replys.
The design and floor plans all came from a book, and the builder then drew out a basic plan
with room sizes etc on , and with the changes we required .
After dealing with all the rules and regulations in Europe for building anything, this is a very
strange experience :)
I will add some pics as soon as I can, and would be happy to hear from anyone with any advise
burnham35

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Did you ask if the design will cope with earthquakes?
Roger Ramjet

Postby olavhome » Tue May 06, 2014 11:15 pm

gliffaes wrote:http://www.floorplanner.com is a good site for rough drawings especially the furniture layouts, windows , doors kitchen worktops etc

Look interesting-sure will try for make drawings for 1 floor house layot a lazy sunday afternoon :)
olavhome

Postby gliffaes » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Did you ask if the design will cope with earthquakes?

Dont worry the poor bugger to death, he isnt in a high risk zone according to this geological map ( green area) :shock:
http://www.dmr.go.th/images/SeimicHazard.jpg
gliffaes

Postby Makmak456 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Yes, it is that simple here.
My build started with "Mama can we make house ? Mama say OK"
She did check with the head man of village, and he said "OK"

So I took out a single sheet of paper and made a basic floor plan of
what we wanted, put the word out that we were ready to start
the build. Got some bids and that was that.

That said, the bigger the village or city some times you will
need plans and permits.
Check out my build story .....
Mark
Makmak456

Return to Your Building Story