Building in Roi Et

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in Roi Et

Postby Anot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Allright, time to share what we intend to build in the Chaturaphak Phiman district in Roi Et. Let me first state that we are on a tight budget. We won't be building swimming pools and such, but we are content with a simple house, yet comfortable to live in. We sifted through the free government plans, other examples on the web and particularly this website. What we've come up with is a mixture of a simplified government plan 3 and Sezze's house, known from this site.

Below are some Sketchup mockups I have created. What we intend to do next is to make a calculation of the build cost of all components and to make choices in materials and building methods. There is plenty time to make changes to the plan. Currently, the ground is being raised a few feet. We are not in a flood zone, but the area is on the low side compared to the surrounding lots. I will try to get as many pictures across as possible...

Looking forward to have your thoughts on the project. :wink:
Attachments
Roof.png
Sketchup Roof
Iso.png
Sketchup Iso
Top.png
Sketchup Top
Anot

Re: Building in Roi Et

Postby sirineou » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:22 pm

When we are in Thailand we live in Khon Kaen a couple of hours away from you, we have a friend who has property in Roi Et and visited there last year, very nice city, I an sure you will be very happy there.
It is funny, when you work with sketch up, you get so used to it,and when you see a picture you try to rotate it. That's what I tried to do with your pictures, my first instinct was to try to rotate them :lol:
Your model Looks very nice
have you up-loaded the model on sketch-up warehouse? if you have and it's public. let me know your used ID., and I will take a look at it. My User ID on sketch up is KKCsteve, I have a couple of models I am working on right now trying to decide which one I want to build.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:29 am

Nice layout...simple but everything well thought through.
All water installations in one corner to avoid complicated plumbing.

I would just consider extending the roof at the main entrance for better protection during rainy season, especially if you are going for a wooden door!

Depending on the budget you could also extend the complete roof towards front and get some nice front porch...creating shadow and a nice place to sit down; not really expensive if you choose to go for a light weigth steel roof.
And again a budget thing would be one wall of the living room with a terrasse door ...to open up the room and get some light in.

Good luck with your build and keep the photos coming :wink:
Maseratimartin

Postby Anot » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for the comments...

I tried to share the Sketchup model in the warehouse, but I got some errors. I will retry at a later moment...

I like the idea of creating a front porch very much. In the current model, I have stripped everything down to the bare minimum. I am not sure yet if the porch can be done in the main project or if we have to add it in a later phase. I guess we will have to build the main structure in such a way that it can easily be added afterwards.

I hadn't really thought about using anything else than wood for the front door. I still have a lot of research to do in what materials to use. I think that we'll get a metal roof and aluminium windows, but I guess PVC is also an option...
Anot

Postby sirineou » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Anot wrote:Thanks for the comments...

I tried to share the Sketchup model in the warehouse, but I got some errors. I will retry at a later moment...

Was the error , file too big? upload will only allow 10 mb
it is usually the most common error, If it is , remove the furniture and save a second version with out them
or re-install them , in a way that they are not as big a file as they are, down load one window, make it a component, copy and paste it in different locations, that way you are only using one file.same with chairs, or other components. (if you are not already doing that)
Upload that version, if you dont like to share it, you can make it private, and share it only with whom you choose.
I like to upload my models on Warehouse, for a number of reasons.Of course to be able to collaborate with people I work with, to have access of them from different computers or when I travel, but more importantly, if my hard drive crashed I would not loose all my work. Of course if you are afraid of loosing your model , you can also upload it on the cloud, there are several free services, I use Sky Drive. or you can save your models on a USB flash drive.
I agree with the comment about a covered front porch.
If you do it while you are building it would be a lot easier, and should really not add much to the cost of the build. During a hard rain (the ones we get here in Thailand) I think it will be difficult to get in an out of the house with out getting drenched, and getting a lot of water in the house if the rain is blowing that direction, plush as it was said, it will be hard on your door.
If you did not want to do it now because you wanted to do something more elaborate in the future, that is not in the budget now, perhaps consider a temp solution,that is inexpensive and easy to remove, later on when you do what you really wanted to do, I am sure the roofers can a fabricate a metal frame with a small roof you can bolt to the wall over the door at no extra cost.
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 am

Actually your Roofers would be the ones to put in a porch for very little extra cost,if any, especially if arranged initially. They could just extend 4 or 5 of the rafters down , depending on how wide you want it, all so simple for them .
Mike Judd

Postby Anot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:53 pm

I managed to share the model in the warehouse now. It didn't work directly from Sketchup, but it went ok through the browser. The model has some errors (messed up the layers) and it's not complete. Missing a few windows and of course the porch, of which I am now convinced I need to have.

With that in mind, here it is:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ue69db2ae-ab75-4088-ba89-f30da1955ce3
Anot

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 pm

[quote="Anot"]I managed to share the model in the warehouse now. It didn't work directly from Sketchup, but it went ok through the browser. The model has some errors (messed up the layers) and it's not complete. Missing a few windows and of course the porch, of which I am now convinced I need to have.

With that in mind, here it is:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ue69db2ae-ab75-4088-ba89-f30da1955ce3[/quot e]
I followed the link and found the model, but I could not download it directly in to my Sketch-Up, it would only download in to my Download files, and when I tried to open it with Sketch-Up, I get the message "Unexpected file format" perhaps it is because you did not directly download it in to Sketch up.
I also noticed that the file was 10.1 MB , Sketch-Up will not accept a file larger than 10 mb.
Have no Idea how you managed to upload a file larger than 10mb, you must be very good with computer programming :D
Try making the file a little smaller. and upload it directly in to Warehouse.
One way to make the file smaller is to: go to 'Model Info' => 'Statistics' => 'Purge Unused'
If that does not work, then you need to get rid of some of the components you down loaded from warehouse such as windows, or furniture. Some of the components in warehouse are very heavy, because of the way they were designed by the people that designed them. Also it helps to only download an Item such as a chair once, make it a component, and then copy it to use it again, (the copy does not use the whole file so it is a much smaller file).
If you need four chairs and you download it four times then that group of chairs is four time as large as if you download it one time and copy it three more times.
sirineou

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:57 pm

one thing I noticed from looking at the picture of your model is the arrangement of your bathroom, and that you don't have an area allocated for a washer and dryer.
The first thing I would consider, is to move the door on the other side of the wall in front of the toilet bowl, this will make the space next to the shower available for use, you could build a linen closet there, or you can place a stacked washer and dryer.
or if you moved your toilet bowl next to the shower and put the door in the middle of the wall you could have room for side by side washer and dryer,
sirineou

Postby Anot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:04 pm

I could download the model to another computer and open it without problems. Don't know what is the problem here. When I uploaded the model to the warehouse, I noticed the limit is 50Mb. Guess they raised it a bit...

In an earlier version of the model I had all doors centered in the room walls and had designated the area next to the shower for the washing machine. Then I moved all the interior doors around a bit for aesthetic reasons. I guess it is less practical for the bathroom and will probably change it back a bit...
Anot

Postby sirineou » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Anot wrote:I could download the model to another computer and open it without problems. Don't know what is the problem here. When I uploaded the model to the warehouse, I noticed the limit is 50Mb. Guess they raised it a bit...

In an earlier version of the model I had all doors centered in the room walls and had designated the area next to the shower for the washing machine. Then I moved all the interior doors around a bit for aesthetic reasons. I guess it is less practical for the bathroom and will probably change it back a bit...

Success!! :D I was able to download your model, ever since Google sold sketch Up it has being a little problematic, I am glad to hear that they increased the upload file limit, it was a big problem, every one in the sketch up community was crying about it.
Nice model! You do nice work ,I had a chance to play around with it a little bit, below are a couple of screen shots of the bath revision I suggested, and a proposed front door change, of course the front porch can be made as big or as small as you like.
bath rev1.JPG

bath rev.JPG
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:04 pm

If you are having a Thai kitchen out back that may be a good place for the clothes washer.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 pm

I'd say if your master bed is next to the living then switch the bathroom with the small guest room.
The last I want to do is cross the living room to get to the toilet at night.
Put two doors in so you can access privately.
schuimpge

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Sketch-Up increased the maximum size of models you can upload from 10 to 50 megabytes. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Sketch-Up increased the maximum size of models you can upload from 10 to 50 megabytes. :mrgreen:

Yea it seems they finally just made the change. Past week I tried to load a mode that was over 10 mb and it would not let me, I ad to strip the model down to the essentials.
I just successfully downloaded a 21 mb model :D
sirineou

Next

Return to Your Building Story