Brett's build in Roi Et

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Brett's build in Roi Et

Postby vanda » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am

Hey guys, thought I might kick start off my building story to give everyone a view of what I will be building. I have been absent from CTH for a short time as the holiday planned with the missus turned into almost a 2 week long funeral service due to her grandfathers' passing. So without further ado, I plan to begin construction by the end of this year, after the next flood season, any input, ideas, suggestions etc will be appreciated. Ok, so the house I intend to build is one of the free thai house plans, which can be found here http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/ and it is number 29. I will be making some alterations to the design, but majority of the main structure is the same.
We are in the village area of Dong Sing this is the google map http://goo.gl/maps/eE5r6 directly in front of our property are rice fields, and mozzies, we are also in a flood zone which is the reason why I will be raising the house slightly. There has already been some landfill placed on the property that raised the current structure, however I'm told the flood waters still make it into the house when the flooding is severe. The current structure will be demo'd but salvaging the timber and bamboo to be used for formwork.
I still need to have the land surveyed to determine our boundaries and soil checked to see how far down I need to run piles, as well as save the funds to build the house. One of my main concerns at the moment is the boundaries, I believe the Aunty who lives next door may have built her shitter over the boundary onto our property. The Aunty and Uncle next door have a daughter who has married a Farang from Holland, and stake their claim to have great wealth and are better than everyone else. The missus has overheard her talking me down and her family, however the missus won't bite back as she worries for her mother who doesn't want conflict with her sister. This is Thailand, and as I tell the missus, Mai Pen Rai.

I will upload some pics in the next post, and for those of you who use Sketch-up I have a few variations of the house if you wish to have a look.
Thanks guys and hope you all enjoy the story as it progresses, cheers.
vanda

Re: Brett's build in Roi Et

Postby vanda » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Here are some pics of said house
Attachments
3D House enclosed.jpg
Sketch up 1st floor closed
3D House open.jpg
Sketch up 1st floor open
Alterations.jpg
Changes to the original floor plan
A-04.jpg
The original floor plan
vanda

Postby vanda » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Some pics of the existing structure
Attachments
20130402_100447.jpg
Side view
20131207_172234.jpg
Front view
vanda

Postby vanda » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Also thought I'd add this in to give a rough idea of the look of the property boundaries and how the land is raised and sloped. I do intend to back-fill and level out the property to the higher level with the only slope being the driveway down to the road. Please forgive the very crude picture, I failed art... Once I have the exact dimensions of the property I'll look at doing a complete design in sketch up. Will most likely get someone to check it out in April when I go back.
Attachments
Property dimensions.jpg
Property layout crude drawing
vanda

Postby vanda » Fri May 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Update! There should be someone coming out to our home to measure the land on the 10th of May. That all came about without my doing, it was brought on by the evil Aunty next door who tried to have her perimeter wall built on our land, the builder refused 5,000 baht as compensation for his silence as he knew it was wrong, he also refused a counter offer of 10,000 baht. As it turns out the builder happened to be an old friend of my partner's father, who then informed my partner's father of the evil Aunty's intentions. Needless to say she has been found out for the snake she is and has been told that any of her building that may be on our land, I believe her toilet block is, will be torn down after the land is measured out.

Also after some very long talks with the missus, we've decided not to demo the existing, but rather patch it up and make it more structurally sound... as well as building a new structure right next to the old and combining the 2. I'm still in the design phase for the new structure however I will now need an Engineer and possibly an Architect to have things sorted and signed off for a builder to build.

I'll post some quick snaps I took, before leaving Thailand, of the internal "structure" for the upper level which will need to be 100% replaced. I've got builder's block at the moment and can't really think of much to do to change it, I still don't believe the columns are suitable for a 2nd level, perhaps change to steel, but once again may need an engineer to approve changes, so I thought I'd put up on the post for any ideas? Anyone done this sort of thing before?

The concrete columns are 250mm square pre-cast, there is also about a 5-6inch slab on the floor. The columns have the cut-out at the top to place beams etc. The 2nd level has been in place for about a year now and has caused cracking in the walls due to movement, however the columns haven't sunk, so it's due to horizontal movement.

What I'd prefer to do is build the new structure next to it, once this is built and livable, demo the old structure and replace it with a better one that will tie into the new structure. The first structure I want to look at building is a 7m by 9m double storey, then build the 6m by 9m double storey and combine the 2. This way the family doesn't have to look for somewhere else to stay while the building is happening.

So give me your thoughts gentleman, remodel existing or demo?
Attachments
20130331_124310.jpg
20130331_124400.jpg
20130331_124203.jpg
vanda

Postby vanda » Fri May 02, 2014 2:04 pm

pics of the columns
Attachments
20130402_100242.jpg
columns
20130402_100308.jpg
concrete columns
vanda

Postby vanda » Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 pm

I think I cried after I saw where my money went to a year ago. I remember I also thanked the builder for installing a ladder to the 2nd level, pretty sure he had no idea what I was talking about.
Attachments
20130331_124501.jpg
steep stairs
20130331_124440.jpg
BIG STEPS
vanda

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri May 02, 2014 4:26 pm

vanda wrote:I think I cried after I saw where my money went to a year ago. I remember I also thanked the builder for installing a ladder to the 2nd level, pretty sure he had no idea what I was talking about.

It looks pretty good. :P the rise spaces are even, you have a handrail and banisters, and he thoughtfully didn't take up too much space in the downstairs room. :lol:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Fri May 02, 2014 4:34 pm

vanda wrote:So give me your thoughts gentleman, remodel existing or demo?

No question, pull it down and start again.
fredlk

Postby vanda » Fri May 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
vanda wrote:I think I cried after I saw where my money went to a year ago. I remember I also thanked the builder for installing a ladder to the 2nd level, pretty sure he had no idea what I was talking about.

It looks pretty good. :P the rise spaces are even, you have a handrail and banisters, and he thoughtfully didn't take up too much space in the downstairs room. :lol:

LOL nothing quite like a considerate builder!
vanda

Postby vanda » Fri May 02, 2014 4:56 pm

fredlk wrote:
vanda wrote:So give me your thoughts gentleman, remodel existing or demo?

No question, pull it down and start again.

Cheers for the input Fred, this is what I'm leaning more towards, the hardest part is convincing the missus :shock:
vanda

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

No point in keeping it cheaper, better and easier to demo. and rebuild. If you take a look at SWIMBO's Grandmums build it can be done with not too much difficulty.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Typically renovations cost more than building from scratch when you are doing more than just a paint job. Plus most things are a compromise as well. Bite the bullet Mate! Knock it down and start from scratch , if you already have cracked walls that means the foundations are suspect which is not unusual as Tom Jones would sing.?
Mike Judd

Postby vanda » Fri May 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:No point in keeping it cheaper, better and easier to demo. and rebuild. If you take a look at SWIMBO's Grandmums build it can be done with not too much difficulty.

Pretty sure I had a look at that build story, I'll have to have a refresher

Mike Judd wrote:Typically renovations cost more than building from scratch when you are doing more than just a paint job. Plus most things are a compromise as well. Bite the bullet Mate! Knock it down and start from scratch , if you already have cracked walls that means the foundations are suspect which is not unusual as Tom Jones would sing.?

I can't argue with Tom Jones, cheers for the input Mike. I'm on my week off work at the moment so I'll have a bit of time to come up with a new design. Did you have your house design done by an Architect in Khon Kaen? Roi Et is still a developing town, not many builders, architects, engineers etc have experience dealing with foreigners so Khon Kaen might be a better place to get things approved.
vanda

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri May 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Bite the bullet Mate! Knock it down and start from scratch , if you already have cracked walls that means the foundations are suspect which is not unusual as Tom Jones would sing.?

Mike, you cracked a funny which is unusual. Perhaps we should all sing why, why, why Vanda in relation to not building anew. Tom Jones would be happy with that.
Roger Ramjet

Next

Return to Your Building Story