my house is getting built in a factory and delivered in 90 d

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: my house is getting built in a factory and delivered in

Postby jingjoe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:09 am

2014-03-28 07.16.52.jpg
2014-03-28 07.17.11.jpg
jingjoe

Postby jingjoe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 pm

brianks wrote:Maybe covered earlier but don't remember. How big is house? How many bedrooms and bathrooms? Any ballpark on how much the house (only) is suppose to cost?

Very interesting concept and can see many advantages for it.

I suppose the reason i decided on a pre fab house was i didn't want to deal with local builders,i pay one fixed price and no blow out figure,short build and built to a western standard.
The house is on the small size,but i have had big houses in oz and really you only need a bedroom and kitchen/lounge,all my living and entertainment will be outside,its too hot here to stay indoors.
Total living space is only 70sqm,but im building a sala for a pool table bbq big tv to watch football,so plan to be outside,and just using the house to sleep.
The house comes in at a standard price of 880000bht,but i paid a little bit more for a bigger kitchen and doors and windows with mosquito screens.
I also have a set finishing time with builder and they are about 15days overdue so they are paying me 500bht a day for everyday over!!
jingjoe

Postby jingjoe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:31 pm

2014-03-29 16.25.55.jpg
house is starting to take shape
2014-03-29 16.26.47.jpg
roof tiling nearly finished
2014-03-29 16.26.17.jpg
sala is huge!!
2014-03-29 16.27.22.jpg
builder charged me 1500 a sqm and i buy materials..will be about 100 000bht completed
jingjoe

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 am

Using concrete pipe for your columns in the Sala is a nice way to go looks good and finished in one go. We did the same for our patio and front columns.

What are the dimensions of the Sala? Would assume room for washroom, sink, beer fridge. :D
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby jingjoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:35 pm

2014-04-11 17.44.20.jpg
sala from the front
2014-04-11 17.45.08.jpg
swimming pool surrounds ready for new sandstone finish
2014-04-15 15.30.48.jpg
bbq area nearly finished in pic...bbq bought from bbq store in bangkok
2014-04-15 15.32.17.jpg
side view of sala with pool table
2014-04-21 13.44.06.jpg
they were keen to do this flower design..
bkkbill the sala is 8m long by 5m high..plenty of room for bbq,pool table etc.
Have now moved to building site,internet installed yesterday.
Had a bit of trouble with pool again,and was sadly let down by the hua hin based installer,he kept promising tomorrow tomorrow,but never came,lucky enough i still had 50000bht held back.
It actually worked out well in the end because i got a better job,plus sandwash finish all around including shower floor and also in the sala and change left over!!
The house is still not finished,it seems they have had an issue keeping staff.In my contract i was given a 500bht a day refund for every day over,its now more than 40days over!! will be expecting a nice refund.However i was driving 35mins each way to meet builders etc on the land so probably sucked up in fuel money.
jingjoe

Postby jingjoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 pm

2014-04-21 13.45.53.jpg
jingjoe

Postby jingjoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:49 pm

2014-04-21 13.46.22.jpg
2014-04-21 15.42.40.jpg
2014-04-21 15.41.31.jpg
2014-04-21 15.42.14.jpg
pooltable lights installed
jingjoe

Postby gliffaes » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 am

I must get down and see you soon, I drove past the "showhome" ON Petkasem road just yesterday, the staff are an absolute nightmare, come and go as they please and seem to me to be disinterested except one man I had but his Wife was awful.
I found out they split up and am trying to hunt him down, no joy yet.
Pity the Hua Hin installers let you down, once again poor service rears its ugly head here, I just hope the install holds up, Ill keep my eye on yours to decide what to do about pools.
gliffaes

Postby jingjoe » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Gliffaes,welcome anytime for a look,i think you might of visited the wrong show room,its south of pranburi on the highway south,about 8kms before the sam roi yot turn off,
The couple are still together and expecting second child soon.He is originally from turkey and she is obviously thai.
Poor service is definitely a problem here in thailand.The thai installer is actually a nice guy,speaks perfect english,but has no business skills,spreads himself too thin.I told him on many occassions that as long as he rang me and let me know his boys would be delayed i would be ok,but he never diid,i was driving from pranburi to hua hin everyday,but a no show.Crazy really the little bit of work he had left cost 9000bht and i owed him 50000bht.I found someone else and he missed out on the 50.
The ozzie guy i bought the fibreglass shell from was great,and helped me fix the problems,it was the installer i used(that he no longer uses) that let me down.
The house although a slower build,they seem to be making it as perfect as possible,and been one of their first jobs want it to stand up as a show house of sorts for other clients.
Im living in the thai house on the land, 3 of us crowded into one house with two house holds of furniture,so am looking forward to my own space soon.
jingjoe

Postby Shastadad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:55 am

Are your ready yet to pronounce whether or not the "factory built" house was a good idea or not ?

Delays, lousy workmanship, workers who don't show up, disasters, etc. are the norm here that we all have dealt with in one way or another but I am still interested whether or not "pre-fab" has a future here in Thailand, all things being equal

Your thoughts please, as one who has been in the trenches
Shastadad

Postby gliffaes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:03 am

how much was the sandwash guy a metre2?
gliffaes

Postby jingjoe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 am

the house hasnt finished,so i can't judge on final product yet.The house apart from the time delay has been hassle free,no mistakes or any major problems with the build.And if i am compensated for the delays(500bht a day) i will be happy.
The internals of the prefab feel a lot cooler than the thai house on the land,the insulated walls make a big difference.At the moment am happy with the over all build.

I think the pre fab builders will learn alot from this build and their next customer will benefit from it.
The fibreglass pool build,i guess i assumed the purchase of the pool and the installer would be the same company.Lucky enough for me the fibreglass pool people looked after me after the installer let me down,i would definitely recommend him,and i think he now has his own crew of installers.

Gliffaes the sandwash guy charged 250sqm for the job.

8 by 5 metre sala with bbq area and sandwash finish plus electrics cost 128000bht
jingjoe

Postby brianks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:54 pm

You keep talking about the 500 baht per day penalty for not completing house build on time and also mentioning a refund. Do you have money held back on them to insure you will get your penalty payment?

Your pre fab project is still quite interesting to avoid all the usual problems of dealing with Thai builders.
brianks

Postby jingjoe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 pm

brianks wrote:You keep talking about the 500 baht per day penalty for not completing house build on time and also mentioning a refund. Do you have money held back on them to insure you will get your penalty payment?

Your pre fab project is still quite interesting to avoid all the usual problems of dealing with Thai builders.

No money held back unfortunately....will see if they are good to their word........
jingjoe

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 pm

jingjoe wrote:
brianks wrote:You keep talking about the 500 baht per day penalty for not completing house build on time and also mentioning a refund. Do you have money held back on them to insure you will get your penalty payment?

No money held back unfortunately....will see if they are good to their word........

They are not Thai as I understand, so I put my money on them holding to their contract. They might negotiate..but not 'forget' it....
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story