my house is getting built in a factory and delivered in 90 d

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: my house is getting built in a factory and delivered in

Postby jingjoe » Wed May 21, 2014 3:48 pm

So i have been living in the house for a few days now and have had time to reflect on build.
The housebuild was hassle free,apart from the length of time,but i was the guinea pig for the builder and he now realizes he didnt have access to enough workers.
He's hoping next year with asean kicking off this wont be a problem.I think 90 days to 100 days finiishing time is more likely.
Total cost was around the 890 000bht mark this included transport cost of truck and connection of electric and water/sewage.
With compensation of days over the builder paid the 20 000bht extra on the kitchen(upgraded from standard model) and for the mosquito screens and sliding front door(not included in standard package.
The house is insulated so is noticibly cooler than the thai house on the land,although with this hot weather i possibly would of turned an a/c on at night to bring it down another few degrees,but hopefully in a few months it wont be missed.
So i have a nice 2bed 2bth home 70m2,but big enough for what i require.The standard of build is a good western finish,so to compare it to a thai build isnt quite fair.
There are few little things to fix,so the builder will be back this week to tidy up.
I was happy with the price,my thai builder doing the renos and who built the sala said he could do it cheaper,but the materials wouldn't be the same.
I never had to look over their shoulder at what they were doing and felt comfortable for the build,compared to what i have read about on this site.
If anyone is interested in having a look they can send me a pm,i told the builder he is welcome to show people thru if he likes as well.
jingjoe

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 22, 2014 6:39 am

That looks to be a great option for anyone in a hurry at a reasonable price, especially as in your case at least,hassle free.! Whether they can keep it up when and if they get more orders may be the problem. Then they will find like all of us, getting the right labour gets harder, most Thais have been so used to simple living that even given the opportunity they are not that interested in too much work constantly. Probably knowing most Farangs, they will also want bigger versions of the houses .
Mike Judd

Postby Shastadad » Thu May 22, 2014 8:47 am

I know that it was not part of your plan but if push came to shove could you move the house to a new location if required ?

I ask, since there is so much controversy here in Thailand about farang ownership of land and the consensus appears to be that a 30 year lease is the least problematic method (if you can get a Thai to agree to it) but most farangs want to be able to "move" the house at the end of a 30 year lease

And please let's not turn this thread into a land owning discussion but keep the subject to a factory build home
Shastadad

Postby jingjoe » Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

yes its a relocatable home,it takes 3days to disassemble it and moved to new location.
He is building 4 one bedders for a man in chumphon,and told me the time for multiple dwellings isnt much longer because all the precast work is done quite fast at the factory and with a crew can complete the job and transport finished product.
jingjoe

Postby Shastadad » Fri May 23, 2014 7:06 am

Thank you for a very informative thread and answering questions :D

All the best in your new home :wink:
Shastadad

Postby unclezillion » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:53 pm

good thread and reasonably hassle free :)
unclezillion

Previous

Return to Your Building Story