Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Postby schuimpge » Sun May 25, 2014 8:12 am

Before

And after.. Upper left corner, the blue PVC elbow is all you can see once the garden is finished...
schuimpge

Postby maaka » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 am

I have lived in a remote location on solar power for 18yrs, so is good to see your little set up..thats all it takes..my house is 12v..only needed to change the one 105ah battery three times in that time..due to circumstances left my house for 4yrs, and when I arrived back recently, the battery and power was sitting there full, and ready to go..

try and reduce the number of joints / connections in your water line around your pump, which is the same as mine..and the pumps dont like rain to much, so a cover is helpful..you could put your battery in a cabinet with vent holes, just to tidy matters up...

I have my water system set up like a cows water trough, or toilet cistern, where it has a ball cock and a mercury float switch, so when the water in my header tank reaches a certain level the mercury switch cuts in and the pump comes on automatically, and when the ball cock reaches the top, switches off...

I am building in Udon, and will incorporate a dual solar /electric system in my new house, and a dual water system..basically I want hot water to the kitchen and shower..not sure what way I will go re coming off a water tank or off the mains, but will put in a solar panel, and one battery, and one of your little pumps in the line, then a gas water heater, and run the hot kitchen tap and shower off that line..maybe run a 12v light or two as well for those times when the power is out..
maaka

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14 am

Hello Maaka,
Thanks for your reply, appreciate the support.
It's a first step, electricity from solar, other extra's like double isolation, soon the white paint for the roof, and the second house seems to be much cooler already, even without any aircon installed, compared to our 1st house.
Been a while since my last post, need to get into it again as a lot has now been finished.
- We had a very thorough, heavy Termite-treatment done through both houses. 2nd house barely any wood left, but we'll keep that up.
- Floors where done after that, HomePro contractors did a very good job. 3 rooms and hallways all now have very nice laminate floors.
- Stairs have been ripped out and replaced with Steel/Con-Wood. I was very surprised it had lasted through the renovation with heavy stuff being carried up on it. Totally eaten away by termites, even the supporting beams. And in true Thai Construction Fashion, it turned out the non of the stairs where in any way anchored into the floors. They just made recesses and had the wooden beams fall into that! :shock: No anchor-bolts, nothing... Amazing, supposedly build to high standards.. Perfect quality by a Developer of the same name.. lol.
- We had trouble with the back-wall, and first I thought it was the gutter at the back. With heavy rain, water would come out from under one of the electricity sockets. After lots of checking, (my contractor one Sunday came racing in when it was poring down by the bucket... went onto the roof and was drenched in seconds but did find that our neighbour's drains where causing our problems.) We've finally had the chance to clean that side up, free drain-repair for the neighbour and are now waiting for the next heavy rain-storm to come (which of course means it's dry and hot for weeks already...)
- TV-Dish installed on the roof.
- Progress on outside front ceiling.
- Roof between the sliding doors in the back is almost finished.
- All doors are done.
- Ordered Curtains, next couple of days they'll finalise a few measurements that they wanted to do after the flooring was done.
- Bought 3 Aircons, for a total grand sum of THB 29500 Baht. 15k BTU each. Given the isolation of the house, they'll do just fine.
(Lucky find. Amorn had dozens of them. Trane, old stock but refurbished and with new Head-Units. My Aircon-guy checked and choose the ones he liked. Still get 1 year Guarantee).
Installation will be next week, saves a cool 50k THB from buying new ones and my Airco-Guy is comfortable with brand and spare parts for them.

Pictures soon, some work to do first...

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Well, bit later, but here are some pictures of the progress.

IMG_1685.jpg
2nd Floor windows in. Very nice minimal alu-frame

IMG_1683.jpg
Terrace Roof almost ready for final step

IMG_1652.jpg
New 'Tenant'.. my brother

IMG_1558.jpg
Laminate Floor Master Bed

IMG_1555.jpg
New Stairs preparation

IMG_1556.jpg
Steel work almost finished, old steps temporary.

IMG_1684.jpg
Finished Stairs
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Hello Maaka,

maaka wrote:try and reduce the number of joints / connections in your water line around your pump, which is the same as mine..and the pumps dont like rain to much, so a cover is helpful..you could put your battery in a cabinet with vent holes, just to tidy matters up...

For the joints and connections. I've limited as much as possible, but this is the minimum I need.
I'm pumping water downstairs, with a 12v, up to the tower, takes about 1 hour to fill the 600l tank from empty... Not too bad for that little monster.
Upstairs, I'm using the same pump, but only to boost the shower pressure and it does so with vengeance..
Waiting for the house to be ready and then start to tidy up things around the battery and controller..
Pump upstairs under the water tower gets a plastic flap hanging in front of it, but that's all. Gets quite hot so don't want to damage it.

maaka wrote:I have my water system set up like a cows water trough, or toilet cistern, where it has a ball cock and a mercury float switch, so when the water in my header tank reaches a certain level the mercury switch cuts in and the pump comes on automatically, and when the ball cock reaches the top, switches off...

I've found that the pump does not really like the ball cock close-off valve. To much on/off cycles before it really is closed.
My plan is to put an ultrasonic range-finder in the tank and then combine that with a schedule to only run it during the day.
doing it like that, I can do larger cycles of pumping in one shot and I hope I can get a program to wait 10 seconds after the sensor says full so that I don't get the on-off cycle problems.

maaka wrote:I am building in Udon, and will incorporate a dual solar /electric system in my new house, and a dual water system..basically I want hot water to the kitchen and shower..not sure what way I will go re coming off a water tank or off the mains, but will put in a solar panel, and one battery, and one of your little pumps in the line, then a gas water heater, and run the hot kitchen tap and shower off that line..maybe run a 12v light or two as well for those times when the power is out..

Gas for water-heater? I like the solar heater, it's giving scalding hot water and with the thermo-mixer as a safety, you can't go wrong.
Backup heater built in just in case.

Rest of the house is all 220v, but the LED-lamps are all 6w Philips lamps. 250W in total for all light-fixtures.

Cheer,
Luc
schuimpge

Previous

Return to Your Building Story