Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:45 pm

And look who's laughing when the next power outage comes along..
And mind you, any tap opening while having a shower is a pressure drop and a resulting increase in hot water.
None of that for me. Downstairs has a good non-electric pressure. Upstairs I get a proper massage pressure and I don't have to care if there's electricity or not...aside from the shower, I've also taken into account that lights would fail, so my solar chimney and a sky light will take care of that..

Now how is that half finished pool coming along RR? Does it hold water already?...lol
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm

On a more serious note. As I am relatively..(And if compared to most if not all members,..absolutely as well) young, I can and want to invest in, experiment with, and promote the use of alternative energy sources and solutions.
It is a more expensive solution upfront, but I am convinced that Thailand's current low energy prices will not last forever.
Aside from being only 50 years when those investments have been 'reclaimed' financially, and I should start seeing pure profit, I will have had many years of knowing that I've done my bit.

Not only for myself, but I will use it to stimulate other people to look at it and maybe change the mind set of some people.
And that..for me..is the biggest satisfaction I hope to get out of this project.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:04 pm

schuimpge wrote:On a more serious note. As I am relatively..(And if compared to most if not all members,..absolutely as well) young, I can and want to invest in, experiment with, and promote the use of alternative energy sources and solutions.
It is a more expensive solution upfront, but I am convinced that Thailand's current low energy prices will not last forever.
Aside from being only 50 years when those investments have been 'reclaimed' financially, and I should start seeing pure profit, I will have had many years of knowing that I've done my bit.

Not only for myself, but I will use it to stimulate other people to look at it and maybe change the mind set of some people.
And that..for me..is the biggest satisfaction I hope to get out of this project.

Cheers,
Luc

Are you saying that we'll all be dead soon??? :lol:
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:28 pm

:mrgreen: well... Statistically, most of you guys sooner than me...

Then again, my son and my wife's daughter might plenty benefit from it.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 pm

It's a lot of fun for me installing this stuff. Would, statistically again, make me live longer also..
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 pm

schuimpge wrote:Statistically, most of you guys sooner than me...

Statistically those who have reached the age of 65 have more chance of reaching the age of 90 than someone in their 40's. :D
Good luck. :lol:
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:16 am

fredlk wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Statistically, most of you guys sooner than me...

Statistically those who have reached the age of 65 have more chance of reaching the age of 90 than someone in their 40's. :D
Good luck. :lol:

I'll keep you posted on the progress... :lol:
schuimpge

Postby brianks » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:46 pm

You sure are right with the water on the roof when the power outages come. I am looking at the expense of a generator to power the pumps when the power goes off and YOU don't have to do anything. Been a lot of fun and educational watching your progress and learning so much.
Going to the Architect 14 show in BKK next week at Mung Tong Thani/Impact in Challenger Hall. Last year picked up some ideas and no telling what might be there this year. A great source for ideas if you can get there.
brianks

Postby schuimpge » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:27 pm

That's 10 minutes from my house. Next exit coming from BKK. Pass by if you want. Be home working on another energy saving project all day.
And yes. Generator not necessary... Just 12v.. Heheee
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sat May 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Wow, time flies... Been a month since my last post.
House close to finish. Ceilings done, spotlights fitted, electricity all connected after today, PEA next week. Aluminum side windows went in, wall in the garden torn down, painting getting close to finish.

Only stairs still to do and a few wood window frames to paint, after that, floors to go in and the last aluminum window/sliding doors go in.

The outside will be next, 2 transparent white roofs that will keep most of the rain, (except the almost horizontal south and north rainstorms).
Terrace outside will get frames for plants to climb up and close it off on both sides. Front of the houses there's still a wall in between to take out.
All smaller jobs that will be done over the course of the next few months.
My brother's job has finally been approved, so he'll be moving into a fresh and new house.

Some pictures in the next post...
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sat May 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Lower side window.

Top side window

Future pond/aquarium

Future Workshop

Looking into the room where Kitchen block will be installed.
This one will get aluminum sliding doors.

Right side is where the sliding doors will go. Then 2 small aluminium windows on the left.

Solar tank controller, main breaker box with 3-Phase and Telephone box not yet installed.
Downstairs has another breaker box with high-amps breakers to run the workshop.

Master bedroom almost done..

Aluminium slider in the bathroom.

Upstairs room finished except windows and another coat of paint...
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Having spent a lifetime in similar situations I can 'see the forest in spite of the trees' and your efforts look like they will have an impressive result.

Good job!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Sat May 24, 2014 9:30 pm

MGV12 wrote:Having spent a lifetime in similar situations I can 'see the forest in spite of the trees' and your efforts look like they will have an impressive result.

Good job!

Thanks MGV12, the one thing I really regret is not having pictures from when I bought the house...
It was in real bad state with rotten doors, molded carpets and all kind of rubbish left behind by the previous owners/occupants.. And they left like 8 to 10 years ago!

It's starting to look like what I want...!
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sun May 25, 2014 7:38 am

Stayed on sparky yesterday. Took a few times before he understood how to hook up the backup heater and controller for the solar hot water supply. But it's all connected and grounded now.
Same for the telephone. I got 2 blocks of 6 ethernet receptacles. 1 block got 6 incoming lines from the front of the house, 1 the lines in the house.
So no matter how TOT hooks up the lines outside, I just use patch cables to make the right connection inside the house.
Pictures of the telephone line parts in the next post.
He did not cut the cables to length, so visually not as pleasing but it's inside a box anyway..
All is hooked up to the common ground of course...
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 am

The one thing I'm very happy about is the suggestion of my contractor to move the downspout of the gutter through the bathroom and inside the house together with the shower drains. It was an eye-sore everywhere I could have put it outside.
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story