Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Postby schuimpge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 pm

BKKBILL, did you install a thermostatic valve on the hot water line from the solar tank?
I don't have thermostatic safety on the shower mixer, so I ordered a separate one that will go above the ceiling.
That valve basically T's of the cold water line and the hot water line, mixing it to a maximum of whatever you set it.

Alessandro confirmed that the water could indeed get scalding hot inside which I don't want to gamble on..
Just curious on your experience and setup.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 am

schuimpge wrote:BKKBILL, did you install a thermostatic valve on the hot water line from the solar tank?
I don't have thermostatic safety on the shower mixer, so I ordered a separate one that will go above the ceiling.
That valve basically T's of the cold water line and the hot water line, mixing it to a maximum of whatever you set it.

Alessandro confirmed that the water could indeed get scalding hot inside which I don't want to gamble on..
Just curious on your experience and setup.

Cheers,
Luc

As you say set-up is simple. Did me own so obviously anyone can. :mrgreen:

In BKK we had thermostatic mixing valves on the showers, I found there was a lag time for temperature adjustment to take place so didn’t feel the cost was justified with this house.

Used VRH mixing valves on all fixtures giving us hot water to sinks, showers and kitchens. It has worked well, showers are large so you could step out of the spray if for some reason it got too hot. That hasn't been the case temperature change doesn’t happen instantly as my tank is also on the roof about sixteen meters away so some mixing occurs in the hot water piping. If your HWT is close to your shower this may not be the case.

In my opinion going solar is much more than a return on investment it is also knowing you are doing something for the environment. Just feels good having a hot shower without the leckie meter spinning. It sure was nice to have during our last cold spell.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:36 am

Couldn't agree more on the environmental part. For me it has also enormous joy just to try to get the electric bill down.
There's so much you can do to lower your bill. Some, like the Solar Heater, are quite a large investment, but it's longterm investment well worth it.

My HWT is directly above the shower. Maybe 2 meters up and the pipe is a bit longer. Ordered the valve, so will see how that goes.
Since my contractor is installing all electric, the control box will get connected straight away. But as you said, I have a hard time believing it will be necessary.

Given the hot weather and air-con gulping electric, I'm going to put the Peltier Cooling up the list and try to get it connected.
Freezing the hot gas going into the compressor from my battery/solar will make for an interesting test.

One question maybe you know. When filling up the first time.. Did you release air somehow?
Because I test-filled and got the idea that it's not nearly full, but pressure builds up quite fast.
So I was thinking of filling the first time and opening the pressure relief valve at the top during the fill.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:11 am

schuimpge wrote:
One question maybe you know. When filling up the first time.. Did you release air somehow?
Because I test-filled and got the idea that it's not nearly full, but pressure builds up quite fast.
So I was thinking of filling the first time and opening the pressure relief valve at the top during the fill.

That's what I did.

That's a temperature/pressure relief valve so make sure you pipe it down to the deck or at least the outlet faces away from anyone standing near the tank. You never know.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
schuimpge wrote:

That's what I did.

That's a temperature/pressure relief valve so make sure you pipe it down to the deck or at least the outlet faces away from anyone standing near the tank. You never know.

Thanks for the info. Noticed indeed some instructions somewhere on directing it away from anything..
Leaving it half full (just under the Hot water outlet) for now. Need to get the shower connected first.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:12 pm

The sink and shelf under the window...Not fixed yet, they just made a picture to show it first.
Got second thoughts yesterday as the tiling is just amazingly sharp, so making the top the same as the floor-tiles with the white sink on top was what I have been thinking about.
But wife and I agreed to go ahead, breaks up the darker tiles nicely.
Glass doors under the sink and it will look fantastic.

Bathroom 1.jpg

Bathroom 2.jpg

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 am

My contractor can be funny and inventive at times.
Yesterday he filled up the HTW and found the water scalding hot, cooking..
Burned himself again...but next got himself a cup of noodles and some 3in1 coffee and enjoyed his new hot water source with a big grin on his face..
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:23 am

And another free-bee I noticed just in time.
Got like 10 Rolls of 4x36 Foot Closed Cell Elastomeric Insulation. 1/2 Inch thick. It's normally used to isolate IT-rooms, will sure help another bit.
That will cover 133 Square meters. The roof covers about 55 Square meters.. So plenty to cover the ceilings.

Waiting for the rolls to be cleared, then get them on top.
Just in time as ceiling-time is getting close.

It's going to be a nice Eco-Friendly house..
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Postby schuimpge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10 am

Got the downstairs pump connected to fill the rooftop tank.
Tested a bit and it fills up really fast! Put a switch for the testing.
It easily keeps up with 2 taps downstairs full open and a toilet flushed and refilling!
Closing all after a couple of minutes and it takes the pump less than a minute to catch up!
So my worries about the pump because of the large head not being fast enough were not necessary at all.

I will put in a automatic level cut-off switch later, as the float-stop does not work very well with the pump. Pumps starts a high frequency on/off cycle which would draw too much from the battery and it wrecks the pump.
That will also give the opportunity to automate the filling during daytime hours..saves again the battery.
So that's now an official resounding YES! It works! No more electric charges for water supply!

Next year the other house getting the same treatment..
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:40 am

schuimpge wrote:Got the downstairs pump connected to fill the rooftop tank.
Tested a bit and it fills up really fast! Put a switch for the testing.
It easily keeps up with 2 taps downstairs full open and a toilet flushed and refilling!
Closing all after a couple of minutes and it takes the pump less than a minute to catch up!
So my worries about the pump because of the large head not being fast enough were not necessary at all.

I will put in a automatic level cut-off switch later, as the float-stop does not work very well with the pump. Pumps starts a high frequency on/off cycle which would draw too much from the battery and it wrecks the pump.
That will also give the opportunity to automate the filling during daytime hours..saves again the battery.
So that's now an official resounding YES! It works! No more electric charges for water supply!

Next year the other house getting the same treatment..

You aren't getting responses to your updates but I am sure that ... like me ... many are watching and learning. Please keep up with the reports.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks MGV12, no worries, I will absolutely continue. It serves as my personal log as well.
But sure nice to get a bit of support, thanks!

Connected the heater controller box temporarily to see what the hot water temp is like. 76'Celcius! That's not bad.
My mixing valve is a good investment with that. Would give serious burns.
Will be looking to install more solar next year, likely going the 'Sjeng-route' lol. But that's for later.

3 ceilings are in and waiting for filling gaps. The other 3 get foam first after the holidays.
Cheers
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Started again today. Ceiling insulation going in. They are half way done and it feels cooler in there. Might be imagination, but we'll see when it's all done and airconditioner starts up.
Closed Cell Elastomeric isolation properties.

Getting black up there.. Still need to cut out openings for the lights.

Together with the PU-Foam against the roof, the solar-chimney to ventilate the roof-space and 9mm Gyprock ceilings, this should be isolated enough for a townhouse.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby brianks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:59 pm

It has been so "warm" lately, one has to wonder what your accomplishing with the expense of solar hot water. Put a water tank up on the roof and paint it black and I am sure the water temperature in the tank would be more than adequate for any hot water needs. This time of the year I am quite happy to shower under the "cold" (warm) water and don't use hot water heaters at all (except for shaving). Now there are some months that it is cooler but in BKK not that cool.
brianks

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Brian...lol..thanks for the support..
Yes agree, it's very hot currently, but I absolutely hate cold water, weather, anything thats below 30'C..
So while it might seem unnecessary at this moment, it is for me worth it.
Besides, with those small on demand heaters, you get like a few drops if the water is cold and you want to maintain a nice temperature. Now I get about 35-40 PSI constant pressure with a nicely maintained steady temperature.... :mrgreen:

Now.. For shaving... Why you need hot water for that?
Bit overkill to me and bloody expensive to route all those hot water lines everywhere instead of just the shower.. :lol:
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:31 pm

schuimpge wrote:Besides, with those small on demand heaters, you get like a few drops if the water is cold and you want to maintain a nice temperature. Now I get about 35-40 PSI constant pressure with a nicely maintained steady temperature....

Luc,
Your system is fine.....for an amatuer. All that stuff on the roof though. :D You could have done it simpler by putting in a 100 litre hot water tank and having a nice little booster pump on the ground floor. Something like my Mitsubishi pump would do as it servers 3 showers and a spa bath without a murmur and that's without the wife doing the dishes at the same time. I got banned from doing them....too much mess she claimed. :lol:
But I understand where you're coming from, anything to save 10 baht over 10 years certainly helps, even if it doesn't work properly. :lol:
I agree with Brian, just put a tank on the roof with 20 foot of PVC pipe and you could have achieved the same thing, but what the heck, why do half a job. :D
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story