Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:33 pm

13th brick up on the left not 100% level........appalled of Pranburi :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now how about some arches...vaulted of course :shock:
gliffaes

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 pm

I know you'd notice that one. That's where I started the beer and finished the day....haha
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

MGV12. Lol. Has to wait. Busy making money after expensive family holidays...lol
Maybe do some 'corrective teaching' south of Hua Hin first before heading further south.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Well, had a two week break in construction, started again this Monday.
So the walls are up to the roof beam now. My guy started putting the gutter on and up comes our backside neighbor looking down from the window started to talk.
My Thai is limited, I thought she asked about the wall, which will be rendered later, but called in the wife to translate.

Bit of talk in Thai, wife, my guy and his wife all walking off to the front starting to talk hush hush in Thai with some technical stuff thrown in.
Wife runs off leaving me wondering what's going on. After a while, her head pops up at the neighbor's house looking down.

Comes back after a while, finally get the translated version... Guys you gonna laugh..

Turns out, because of space, my guy put the roof like 20cm higher so that our gutter will hang above their gutter and the roofs are not the same height because of that.
Now, after weeks of that structure being up already, the lady finally gets it and complains because that is bad Feng Shu..
So she has no problem paying the bill to change things as long as we change it and bring the two roofs to the same height.

Asked the wife already to check if Feng Shu is worth a 20-30k THB. My construction guy had a big smile on his face when I said that...lol
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 pm

After checking again with the wife...turns out the wife just agreed to change it...and of course we pay.. 'oh..better keep good neighbors...'
Mind blowing... Not gonna happen. Neighbor wants her Feng Shu, she pays for it.. I'm catholic...sjeez...Amazing Thailand..
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:36 pm

schuimpge wrote:Turns out, because of space, my guy put the roof like 20cm higher so that our gutter will hang above their gutter and the roofs are not the same height because of that.
Now, after weeks of that structure being up already, the lady finally gets it and complains because that is bad Feng Shu.

Hooey! That's not Feng Shui but likely part of Thai Animistic beliefs. Tell her to show you where in Feng Shui it says so.
She just doesn't want the rich Farang to show his wealth by having a higher roof / show her lowly status by having a lower roof.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm

I hear you Fred...
Talked with my construction guy, he said, don't push it, not worth it. He'll adjust it at no cost, which I don't like as he has to make his money like everyone...but we'll take care of that somehow...

He'll change the construction a bit so the gutter moves inward. Which will leave a gap between the two gutters.
Since their wall is the Blue plastic ventilation strips (see previous pictures) and ours solid, with the next rain-storm, rain will get in between and they'll very likely have 'some' flooding, which would not have been possible with the original way it was constructed. The blue strips go all the way down to the perimeter wall and rain used to run of on our side...not anymore...it will build up there..

So I'm now anxiously waiting for the raining season... :lol:
schuimpge

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

schuimpge wrote:MGV12. Lol. Has to wait. Busy making money after expensive family holidays...lol
Maybe do some 'corrective teaching' south of Hua Hin first before heading further south.

you get days off??

Tell the neighbour you are Jedi and the roofs must be different heights and offer to lower hers for a one off special price of 100k :lol:
gliffaes

Postby schuimpge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:46 am

Gutter changed. Moved inwards. Put a rotating ball-vent above the toilet, did the same above our laundry room.

Roof will be complete soon and then next week getting Lohr Trade in for the PU foam.
The gap behind the gutter in the first picture is now closed and the whole gutter will be enclosed with PU-Foam.
There are 3 skylights, similar to my first house, that will provide enough daylight for the house to minimize need for extra lamps on during the day.
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:46 pm

schulmpge,
Just a comment about the revolving vent. When the monsoons come and the rain is sometimes horizontal, I found mine to leak water. To overcome this I placed a stainless steel tray suspended underneath which stopped the drips onto the ceiling. The water doesn't stay there long as it evaporates in a few hours.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:16 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:schulmpge,
Just a comment about the revolving vent. When the monsoons come and the rain is sometimes horizontal, I found mine to leak water. To overcome this I placed a stainless steel tray suspended underneath which stopped the drips onto the ceiling. The water doesn't stay there long as it evaporates in a few hours.

Hello RR, it's indeed something I've been thinking about to do..thanks for the reminder..
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Well, did some more work. The back wall is out, makes for a lot of light from the skylights in the back roof.
ImageImage
Most of the rubbish is now gone but a hammered down layer left and kept wet until the concrete base for the floor goes in.
We've done the shopping for the toilet, urinoir and sink..Too bad, no hanging toilet available so we went for a normal one, though a slightly more expensive 'stylish' type that has none of all usual curves and anything else that makes it more difficult to clean.
Brand for everything is Cotto, nice uniform look.
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:27 pm

schuimpge wrote:Too bad, no hanging toilet available

Really?

Probably no demand here as most walls would fall down when it was sat on ... not yours of course. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby pattayapope » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Is there any significance to the can of beer on the steps, I hope it was consumed after normal working hours :lol: :lol:
pattayapope

Postby schuimpge » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 am

MGV12 wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Too bad, no hanging toilet available

Really?

Probably no demand here as most walls would fall down when it was sat on ... not yours of course. :)

They told me they could order, but non on display, so we skipped it for the toilet downstairs.
Might look into it for the upstairs shower.
My wall is definitely strong enough with the concrete behind it, but typically, the wall is only part of the support.
The water-reservoir is build into the wall, it is mounted on a steel structure which is then encased in the wall.
If I remember correct from my dad doing the toilet, (must be 20 years ago or so), that's how he built it in.
You'll get a small ledger at about 1-1.30meters high behind the toilet, which is great for putting some things on like air-refresher and stuff.
Button for flushing is build into the wall.
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story