Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:41 pm

I know, still need to finish the last details in my first Townhouse renovation but my second one is coming along some way now, and want to start that one as well.
Yesterday saw piles of supplies delivered. Most notably the piles for extending the backside. My contractor doesn't do half work, he'll make sure stuff still stands when the rest of the house is long down.
For the backside extension, it's the same as with my current house, 5meter piles and they have been dug in today. My estate is build on top of an old swamp, and the extension will be concrete beams and block fill after which the walls will be rendered. Height about 2.5 meter lowest point. Toilet planned in one corner, rest open, groundfloor will be workshop/office for Computer Repair and Refurbishment.

Substantial amount of clay was dug out today and the piles put in place.
The backside roof will connect to my current house, forming a solid backside. The terrace between the backside doors will later be redone with tiles.
Middle of the house will some day become a fishpond with a bridge on one side to walk to the front of the house.

Pictures first.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Tomorrow will be removing the dirt, initially in the Pond area to make it less deep over there, quite a drop from the terrace concrete.
Piles went in quite well, not worried about any future sinking or other nasties..
Total 15 piles went in, couldn't get to all, will be tomorrow after the cleanup.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Today finished removing the dirt, knocking down the piles and knocking out part of the old concrete for the new floor and beams.
Tomorrow they'll start concrete work.

They put several piles together, which will then get a rebar/concrete top.

Ready for tomorrow concrete.
schuimpge

Re: Townhouse Number 2 Renovation

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Some time ago, we're making progress.
Footings being prepared

Concrete on

Ring beam rebar

Drains and water being put in.
There's a total of 5 grey water drains and one toilet/black water drain.
1 water and grey water drain going up to 2nd floor for kitchen unit there.
We will pretty much replace all old water and drains except toilet drains in the shower upstairs.
All water downstairs will come from tower and will be pressure from height only, no pump.

More pipes

And even more
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Next is pooring the ring beam.
All done, a solid foundation for the back wall. Way stronger than necessary, but I like my contractor's over-engineering things.

All poured and pipes properly hidden in the beam.

Steel plates attached to the rebar before the poor, to weld the columns.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Next, putting up some steel

.Image

And then the walls of course

We had trouble with the first house, water seeping between the boundary wall and the kitchen wall. Solved it by putting in two drains.
Not this time...filling up the space with concrete, so we have a solid wall.

Second ring beam coming up.

Corner with neighbors being filled in.

That's all where we are today. Moving along. Next week roof and then get PU Foam done everywhere in the house.
schuimpge

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Do you not get any damp thru the walls?? from the neighbour? water proofer in the concrete mix?
gliffaes

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:25 pm

It felt damp in the first house and that turned out to be water collecting after a heavy rain shower.
We drilled 2 holes and put in drain pipes that went into the main storm-drain, after that solved.

For this one, the concrete will stop that and water will run off if any..Gutters and roof will cover the Space above the boundary wall. There's some small 'concrete barriers' to be put up so that any water getting through at the neighbours left and right will stay at neighbour's side. There's also a Gallon of Lanko going around every now and then so yes, lessons learned and not forgotten.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:19 am

Gliffaes, double-checked, the almighty Lanko is keeping watch over all cement and concrete.
Additionally, the top of the boundary wall gets a good scrubbing and then several layers of wall paint too..

And the solution we applied to the first house problems.
Drain from the void behind the kitchen walls to the grey-water drain.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:32 am

For the first house, we where lucky to have a couple of heavy rain storms before tiling went on. Pipes are inside the cabinets so don't see anything of it.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 pm

Making sure cats can't get behind the walls

The Lanko

Solid thick wall. I was wondering why he used blocks for most of the wall and bricks for the toilet.
Figured that out, bricks are stronger to hang the sink and toilet.
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 pm

schuimpge wrote:Solid thick wall. I was wondering why he used blocks for most of the wall and bricks for the toilet.
Figured that out, bricks are stronger to hang the sink and toilet.

Coming along Luc but his block-work is nowhere near as neat as Giffaes' :P

Serious question: You having a wall mounted toilet? Very popular in recent years back in the old country but a rare sight here.

TWYGNPK025.jpg

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 pm

MGV12, I am really surprised not to have gotten the comment on the wall earlier..lol.. But there..you've said it..
Just to tease him a bit...

Block work is for sissies...
Some real brickwork that's what counts...
My first attempt at brick-laying. First goes in the door frame..

Then start the wall.

Then put up a PROPER ring beam.
Which was pored in one shot and came out as you see it in the picture, no patching at all..

And from the other side...

That should wake him up...hahaha

As for the construction downstairs...

I think the toilet will be normal, but my wife suggested a Urinoir as well.
So Toilet, urinoir, sink, bum-spray, paper roll, mirror. That about sums it up.
Might look into the wall mount toilet, as sure it's easy cleaning.

Next week roof going on, in 2 weeks spraying PU-Foam in the house.
Many things already done in the house, but will wait with posting to keep the story line easier to follow.

Cheers.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 pm

To get the ring beam done, I used multiplex that I put at a 45' angle against a wall...kept wet and slowly added more bricks at the lower end to create an almost perfect quarter circle which I then kept in shape with steel wire.

The small bit of wall at the side I first cut and then hammered out the rendering. That way, with new rendering on, it makes a very strong connection there.
Rebar from the beam was of course drilled into the wall.
And there's the long nails that went in all 3 sides of the door frame. Plus the 20cm pieces of rebar drilled into the old wall every 3rd row of bricks to make a strong connection there..
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:12 pm

schuimpge wrote:MGV12, I am really surprised not to have gotten the comment on the wall earlier..lol.. But there..you've said it..
Just to tease him a bit...

Block work is for sissies...
Some real brickwork that's what counts...
My first attempt at brick-laying. First goes in the door frame..

I thought 'they' had had long enough :P

You will without doubt now be on the "free holiday on Koh Samui" call-up programme.

schuimpge wrote:To get the ring beam done, I used multiplex that I put at a 45' angle against a wall...kept wet and slowly added more bricks at the lower end to create an almost perfect quarter circle which I then kept in shape with steel wire.

The small bit of wall at the side I first cut and then hammered out the rendering. That way, with new rendering on, it makes a very strong connection there.
Rebar from the beam was of course drilled into the wall.
And there's the long nails that went in all 3 sides of the door frame. Plus the 20cm pieces of rebar drilled into the old wall every 3rd row of bricks to make a strong connection there..

Okay ... good job but don't overdo it with the technical stuff or you will attract the attention of RR ... then we will need to get the Richter scale involved.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Next

Return to Your Building Story