New Home Build "LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN"

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New Home Build "LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN"

Postby Baht Man » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:19 am

Time marches on..

I bought this chunk of land a few years ago for a possible future homesite, and to cut it up and sell off the road frontage. In time I had it cleared and put a road in, had a pond dug and built the small "fish house" cantlivered over the water.
I was quite content at the time and really had no future development plans until I started getting notices stuck on the wall where I was living.

It seems that the house I've been renting at 3000 Baht/month is being taken back by the bank due to lack of payment by the owner. He's not made a payment since it's been built. Seems the guy like's to play the horses more than he wants to keep his house.

I was happy there at 100.00/month but didn't want to be living on the streets, hence the reason for the build. This was last Oct. Nov. and the build started late Nov. hoping to get it completed and make the move before I get tossed out.pic :?

Back to work...

While they've been busy outside and sparky's finishing up, I'd been busy inside.
With the walls being 10" thick and the windows only 4" I thought about sills. The windows had no reveal and looked so blahhhh.
Forget granite or marble, soooo much money for 10 pieces.
Hell, I'll make them myself. Finished the sills and added base moulding and window trim.
It makes a huge diffference and cost was minimal. Measure it, cut it, glue it and forget it, and a lot easier than rendering for the Ms. to clean.
DSC00948.JPG

DSC08722.JPG

DSC08817-1.JPG

DSC08714.JPG

After the strong winds and rains a few days ago, there was quite a bit of water in the house near the front glass wall. Partially b/c there is no overhang there and partially b/c the windows are "less than what I'd hoped for".
The folks came back yesterday caulked and cleaning them all. Just as they left I had another big rain (Monday), and seems all is well.

Sparky finished up a few days ago and I've finally got lights. I've had the builder install all LED's, even the outside floods and "auto" front up/down lights.
It's comforting to see this phase completed and be able to see the effects the lighting create. It's also nice to be able to see when it get's dark.

I turned on everything I could and had no problem. I was away when he installed the breaker box, and know this is probably one of the most important piece installed, but it just seems pretty basic.
Time will tell.

I'd gotten this fan from the states and dreaded the day I'd have to climb the scaffolding for the install. I'd done some pre assembly earlier..
DSC08820-1.JPG

When I took break I came back to see him already up there hangin' it. Most fans ball/sockets are standard and he's already installed the kitchen fan, but this one had steel safety cable due to it's weight that's designed to be attached to the house itself.
Not having seen this before he wrapped it around the downrod which defeated it's purpose.
Re-directed he snaked it up around the truss as needed in case the thing ever came loose.
DSC08826-1.jpg

DSC08834-1.jpg

Back soon....
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Postby Shastadad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Where did you get a 220 volt fan in the US ?

Looks good but eventually your SO is going to have to clean the blades
Shastadad

Postby Baht Man » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Yea, they're 12' off the floor and my broom extends to the ceiling, 16' up.
Nobody will see the top. :lol:
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Shastadad wrote:Where did you get a 220 volt fan in the US ?

They're available but not in the 7', 9 blade I wanted.

I bought an inverter 220 to 110 for about 150 Baht and with the change from 60 to 50 hz, it just runs a bit slower, but I was looking at cf/min per watt air movement not speed.

The DC motor and LED light was an added bonus. :D
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Shastadad wrote: Looks good but eventually your SO is going to have to clean the blades

Looks good, but.... really?? :shock:

Forget the broom.I've got a 7' ladder, I'm 6' with a 2' reach = 15'.

The blades are 12' up.

You see a problem with this? :lol:
Baht Man

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 pm

Baht Man wrote:Looks good, but.... really??

Forget the broom.I've got a 7' ladder, I'm 6' with a 2' reach = 15'.

The blades are 12' up.

You see a problem with this?

If you have a small vacuum cleaner with the normal extension it makes the whole thing cleaner and easier to cart it up the ladder with you.....and it does the tops as well, sort of.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 am

Good thought.
Thanks for the positive input.. :)
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:16 am

8-23
The last few days have been silent here. Elec. is finished and the promise of the plumber coming is ongoing.
Two days ago I located another one and told the builder I'll finish it myself. I told him 600/day labor and he said "why so much"? I told him it was a bargin b/c in the past he told me his tile man got 1000/day.
The shoe's on the other foot now. :lol:

My guy showed up (500 day + 100 corruption) and was suprised with the mess he saw. Fittings in the wrong location, stub-outs wrong and a general lack of basic workmanship.

Tiles will have to be cut in 2 of the bathrooms and he didn't really want to mess things up. I sent him home after a half days work at the full pay. It'll be backcharged to the builder of course.

He suggested that my guy not do the cutting (I was in agreement, as he was not a tile guy) and he promissed help was on the way.

The next day the builder sent 2 retards to work here. Certainly not plumbers by the look of things. After 20 min. I told them to go home. The builder showed up 20 min. later to set them straight. General laborers that they were, they began the task of running 2 water lines to the front of the house for hose connections.

We summoned the builder for another meeting two days later. I very calmly and without looking at the builder, told the builder via the Ms. " There's no reason this house should not be finished by now, and I have to pay 300 baht for the rent house every month, plus elec.and water and on this house as well. I will not pay anymore rent after this month and will have to charge you if it's not finished by months end. You told me 150 days, now it's 3000.
She relayed my message (but changed the rent amount from 3000 to 9000 :wink:

He said he understood and will finish this month (about 10 days) b/c he don't want to pay my rent.

The tile guy showed up out of the blue and was to complete the interior plumbing in the baths and kitchens. Ok, so now I'e got a tile guy doing my plumbing. But I knew this guy was skilled and quite methodical in his work so I let him have at it. In the 5 days since, one kitchen and all the baths are done properly. Only the outdoor kithen remains and the grey plastic plumbing that came with the one sink will be changed to proper PVC due to leaks.

From discussions here and elsewhere, I've determined a better solution for the grey water issues . The 6 - 2" discharge lines from the house were dumped into the 2-3 ring holes. . I knew it was not the proper way of doing it and storing grey water made no sense, albiet easy for the builder.

I had the builder lay a 3" line from the furthest ring, down the back of the house and another 20 m in a "french drain" type, although I know it won't perk out. The line ccontinued to a section of paddy. All the 2"drain lines along the way were connected to the 3" collection pipe. He understood "90 degree sweeps" but I had to stay and show the workers which way to install them. :shock:
DSC08937-1.jpg

DSC08866-1.jpg

That was accomplished in two days, and was really the last of my major issues concerning the design. Thanks for all the input and advice on this, and to those that came here for a look see, it was a great help.... xxx
I wasn't there to take a pic or check the slope, but all seems well....but I've said that before. :roll:

Downspouts were finally added after months of erosion ....
DSC08939-1.jpg

DSC08940-1.jpg

He's not going to remove the 6 rings, so if anyone wants them, I know exactly where they are.
While they worked on the downspouts, the rest of the gang formed p what would be the perimeter walkway and filled in the washed out areas at the old abondonded grey water rings.

Later the next day, C-Pac pulled up with 5 cm. and they got busy. Of course the builder will now have to deal with the cement splashed on the walls.
DSC08944-2.jpg

DSC08949.JPG

Upon C-Pac's departure he dumped what was left off his load right in the middle off the parking area and I spent an hour diluting it into stone. Hey, no brain.... there's a low spot only 2m from there that you could have put it. Sometimes I wonder :cry:

I build a lot of pools back in the day, all with perimeter decks and 99% involved bender boards for a free formed look. I had some old trim left and showed them how to use it.
DSC08948.JPG

Suay, suay was the response but I'll guarantee they'll never try it themselves.

Back soon...
Baht Man

Postby gliffaes » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:05 pm

Concrete guys arent stupid just too lazy to clean it appropriately, I always now follow them down the road and tell them NOT on my frontage, you have to watch everyone like a hawk here.
I also plan ahead for any concrete work with a roll of the bog cling film and cover any walls as there is always splatter.
When rendering I also buy tarpaulins to cover all floors for an easy clean up.
You have to do all the thinking for them, anything they can get away with they will do.
I found the granite here so cheap I did all my sills with them, price in the uk is about 4-500£ a metre :shock:
gliffaes

Postby Baht Man » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:05 pm

I'll have to sigh off for now.
Started to move and there's no internet yet at the new place.

One setback was the A/C they installed.

Seems it takes 3 phase and I'm not wired that way.
Checking with the local elec. man....umm starting at 200,000 for your own transformer and go up from there.

No thank's. Nimitz dropped the ball in it's unit. They offered up the labor for free as thay want me to keep what I have, but

Need to pull it out and start again. :roll:
Baht Man

Postby pipoz » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Baht Man wrote:I'll have to sigh off for now.
Started to move and there's no internet yet at the new place.

One setback was the A/C they installed.

Seems it takes 3 phase and I'm not wired that way.
Checking with the local elec. man....umm starting at 200,000 for your own transformer and go up from there.

No thank's. Nimitz dropped the ball in it's unit. They offered up the labor for free as thay want me to keep what I have, but

Need to pull it out and start again. :roll:

It must be a big Unit you have.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Baht Man » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Well, based on my calc's. and others, I was looking at 36 to 40K BTU.

The initial recommendation from them was the 36K unit and I felt ok about that as I'm double walled w/insul. in the middle and face east, although it's mostly windows.

They said the 44K was maybe 3-4K baht more and the 50K not much more than that, so I "up-sized".

They hung the cassette a few weeks ago and after the sand wash was installed they came with the compressor.
After the install they realized I had only single phase. :o

They switched it out and lucky me, the cassette was the same size so no gypsum repairs were needed to shrink the hole. :D

They cranked it up and after about 30 min. it was nice, so I cut it off.

They also moved a 10,200 btu from my rent house and told me it was to small for the new bed room but it's just fine.

Alls well on the A/C front and I'm totally moved in.

As soon as I locate some internet at the place, I'll send more pics and info.

Currently I'm hangin' out at Caspers using his connection, after consuming his "Todays Special" yummm... :D
Baht Man

Postby gliffaes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:29 pm

I did the same on my entrance drive with the curved edges and really simple to do with some thin plywood and a few stakes, mines 6 inch thick with double layer of steel for 20 ton + lorries etc
Attachments
20140410_114626.jpg
gliffaes

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Baht Man wrote:Well, based on my calc's. and others, I was looking at 36 to 40K BTU.

The initial recommendation from them was the 36K unit and I felt ok about that as I'm double walled w/insul. in the middle and face east, although it's mostly windows.

They said the 44K was maybe 3-4K baht more and the 50K not much more than that, so I "up-sized".

They hung the cassette a few weeks ago and after the sand wash was installed they came with the compressor.
After the install they realized I had only single phase. :o

They switched it out and lucky me, the cassette was the same size so no gypsum repairs were needed to shrink the hole. :D

They cranked it up and after about 30 min. it was nice, so I cut it off.

It looks as if you have a significantly oversized A/C unit.
This is a bad idea as A/C has two functions the first is to lower temperature the second to bring down the humidity. Dropping the temperature quickly seems like a good idea but you will not drop the humidity by much.

If you want to over size your A/C it is much better to get 2 smaller units so that you can turn one off and have a longer run time for the other and keep the humidity down.

Another point is that the calculations for sizing A/C units here generally oversize anyway because few people will ever complain that the A/C unit works too fast but may complain if it cools slowly.

28 degrees C at 90% humidity feels hot and sticky
28 degrees C at 40% humidity feels comfortable
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Baht Man » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:23 pm

I don't think it's so oversized at 36K BTU based on the room area.

I didn't want 2 wall units sticking out from somewhere, and wanted the ceiling mounted cassette, for obvious reasons.

I'll lie with what I'vve got.

Thanks just the same.
Baht Man

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story