New Home Build "LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN"

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New Home Build "LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN"

Postby pipoz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:12 am

Hi Baht man

What type/style and colour of roof tile did you end up using. I gather its a CPAC but cant work out the style

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Baht Man » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Yea, CPac something. Let me give it some thought. It's been a long time :?
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:18 pm

It's CPac Prestige Zeneth, Log Brown.

My first selection was Newstile Rustique (looks like cedar shakes) but it was a bit pricey.
Baht Man

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Baht Man wrote:It's CPac Prestige Zeneth, Log Brown.

My first selection was Newstile Rustique (looks like cedar shakes) but it was a bit pricey.

Thanks, I nearly went with the CPCA Horizon Midnight Grey and or Zenith Pewter Grey, as their price was very good, around TB 32 per tile. I tossed it around for three moths and then eventually settled on the CPC Neustile at around TB 48 per tile. Waiting to see the look when installed.

When I finally got a quote from Home Mart for the supply of the roof options, which included all the add on's such as special ridge/hip/eave tiles, dryteck system, reflective roof foil and fixing screw clip accessories, the difference between the Neustile and Prestige was not that great, around TB 134 per m2 of roof area or TB 29,000 overall.

Neustile Trend CPAC Tile (Black Steel ): Supply of 2315 No main roof tiles plus accessories (for 216 m2 of actual roof area surface) was TB 164,322 or TB 760 per m2

Prestige Horizon or Prestige CPAC Tile (Midnight Grey or Pewter Grey): For supply of 2454 No main tiles plus accessories (for 216 m2 of actual roof area surface) was TB 135,218 or TB 626 per m2.

Got to love CPAC, their roof tile prices are so cheap compared to Oz

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:19 am

Pipoz ! Have you looked at Exella roof tiles, I don't know what the price is now having bought mine 3 or 4 years ago , but there is really no comparison between Clay fired terracotta ( Exella) and all those CPAC concrete ones as far as the colour lasting in the hot sun. They have all the different styles as well as colours. Total cost was Baht 310,000 supplied and fixed with foil and Dry Tech on a 154sqmt U shaped house with 2 gable ends for ventilation, which entailed lots of ridge tiles etc;. Mind you even in Australia 40 yrs ago ,Terracotta cost double what concrete ones were supplied only, they don't expand and contract like concrete does, whether that is so important I don't know and maybe CPAC have developed a better method of keeping the colour on since. My first house had concrete tiles and I had to pressure wash them after 10 yrs and have the whole roof sprayed ,that's when I changed over to Terracotta for my next house.
Mike Judd

Postby Baht Man » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:20 am

I have a friend building near me and he went with the Exella ceramic tiles. Up close, on the ground, they were ruby red and very slick. I can see where the rain might clean them better than a cement tlle as he claimed and may last longer. Time will tell. But from a distance, they're just another roof, as mine and most are

They were more than double what I paid, and shinier but I wanted a certain look and if I get only 10 years between cleanings, well I've maybe got 1 to go thru. Leave the rest up to whoever.

Sad story about this guy though. Hired a big shot in the community for the build and he worked a few months. They got to the next payment stage and when he handed over the funds which included quite a bit for the roof, he did a runner.

After 6 months or so thru the courts it's moving along once again with someone else.
But OUCH :(

I've got the turtle builder, slow as hell but when there are workers on site the work is quite good.
I'll certainly be glad when this is over.
Baht Man

Postby pipoz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 am

Mike Judd wrote:Pipoz ! Have you looked at Exella roof tiles, I don't know what the price is now having bought mine 3 or 4 years ago , but there is really no comparison between Clay fired terracotta ( Exella) and all those CPAC concrete ones as far as the colour lasting in the hot sun. They have all the different styles as well as colours. Total cost was Baht 310,000 supplied and fixed with foil and Dry Tech on a 154sqmt U shaped house with 2 gable ends for ventilation, which entailed lots of ridge tiles etc;. Mind you even in Australia 40 yrs ago ,Terracotta cost double what concrete ones were supplied only, they don't expand and contract like concrete does, whether that is so important I don't know and maybe CPAC have developed a better method of keeping the colour on since. My first house had concrete tiles and I had to pressure wash them after 10 yrs and have the whole roof sprayed ,that's when I changed over to Terracotta for my next house.

I know MIke the Excella have a longer life wit the colour, but I wasn't keen on having a shinny surface on the roof, plus the old CPAC will probably see me out. Plus I was after the Black flat tile look more like a slate roof and CPCA Neustile in Black Steel was the closest I could get.

I will leave her some money for maintenance after I depart for re roofing or she can paint the roof Pink

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:56 am

Baht Man wrote:Sad story about this guy though. Hired a big shot in the community for the build and he worked a few months. They got to the next payment stage and when he handed over the funds which included quite a bit for the roof, he did a runner.After 6 months or so thru the courts it's moving along once again with someone else.
But OUCH :(

I've got the turtle builder, slow as hell but when there are workers on site the work is quite good.
I'll certainly be glad when this is over.

I will build like the turtle. Given we have no pressure to move into this house, it will take between 6 and 12 months, whatever. Agree its more important to find workers who have some basic idea of what they are doing, when you are not there

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 pm

I will leave her some money for maintenance after I depart for re roofing or she can paint the roof Pink

pipoz

Good thinking no 9
Mike Judd

Postby Baht Man » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:36 am

pipoz wrote:I will build like the turtle. Given we have no pressure to move into this house, it will take between 6 and 12 months, whatever. Agree its more important to find workers who have some basic idea of what they are doing, when you are not there

pipoz

I'm there 99% of the time as the house I'n renting is about 1K away from the build and am in no hurry either, but the anticipation is killing me. For the last two weeks sparky's been there wrapping things up and there's no reason the plumber could not have been there at the same time.

This house has been going downhill since I moved in, but even though the rent is cheap it lacks the basic necessities even for Thailand. The roof leaks something fierce, the flourescent tubes never go off completly so we sleep in a half lit room as the elec. is bad, and 1/3 of the time we have somewhat decent water. 1/3 we have no water and the other 1/3 we have water we can't use.
DSC08796.JPG

The clothes are dirtier if we wash them here. :shock:
Baht Man

Postby Klondyke » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 pm

How to help yourself with rusty water can something be learned from my thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4611 .
The water problem does not need to be by only iron contain, also other residues (alkalines) will be cured this way. The trick is to store first the water for settling the dirts down with help of SaanSom (Alum), can be bought in Thailand easily everywhere.
Klondyke

Postby Baht Man » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:02 am

Klondyke wrote:How to help yourself with rusty water can something be learned from my thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4611 .
The water problem does not need to be by only iron contain, also other residues (alkalines) will be cured this way. The trick is to store first the water for settling the dirts down with help of SaanSom (Alum), can be bought in Thailand easily everywhere.

I may agree with you but this is not iron (rust) or copper or other alkaline, it's just plain ole' dirt. And maybe it's caused by folks around here constantly cutting into the supply line.
Baht Man

Postby Klondyke » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:38 am

Baht Man wrote:I may agree with you but this is not iron (rust) or copper or other alkaline, it's just plain ole' dirt. And maybe it's caused by folks around here constantly cutting into the supply line.

Then, you should include a filter in your system, something is offered in viewtopic.php?f=15&p=60411#p60411 .
Or you can buy a filter for swimming pool for 7,500 in Global, this has a same function.
Klondyke

Postby pipoz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:07 am

Mike Judd wrote:I will leave her some money for maintenance after I depart for re roofing or she can paint the roof Pink pipoz

Good thinking no 9

Wasn't it No 99 as in "Get Smart"
pipoz

Postby Baht Man » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Klondyke wrote:
Baht Man wrote:I may agree with you but this is not iron (rust) or copper or other alkaline, it's just plain ole' dirt. And maybe it's caused by folks around here constantly cutting into the supply line.

Then, you should include a filter in your system, something is offered in viewtopic.php?f=15&p=60411#p60411 .
Or you can buy a filter for swimming pool for 7,500 in Global, this has a same function.

As I said, this is the water form the house I'm renting and my build should be inished in a month or so, and I'm outta here. :D
The water there is crystal clear, but occasionally a bit saline.
I can live with that
Baht Man

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story