New Home Build "LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN"

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New Home Build "LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN"

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Baht Man wrote:I don't think it's so oversized at 36K BTU based on the room area.

From your first post it looked as if the 36K BTU was recommended but because if the small price differences you had got a 50K BTU.

However as your happy that is all that counts.

The point for other people who read the thread is still that over sizing an AC is often worse than slightly undersizing.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Shastadad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Baht Man wrote:I don't think it's so oversized at 36K BTU based on the room area.

From your first post it looked as if the 36K BTU was recommended but because if the small price differences you had got a 50K BTU.

However as your happy that is all that counts.

The point for other people who read the thread is still that over sizing an AC is often worse than slightly undersizing.

No, the point is to not skimp on your electrical supply so that you don't have to worry about what will work later on :oops:
Shastadad

Postby Baht Man » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 pm

I don't believe I skimped on the elec.
I ran 2-50mm lines (albeit alum and not copper) as alum. is used by the city in their power lines, and copper was 10x the price.

I considered 3 phase as my neighbor had installed (and has yet to use) but let it pass.

I did have some concern about the 150m distance but how do you figure a load if you don't know what you'll be building and using?
My issue was that they snipped of more than half the strands to get it to fit into the bigger meter.("No problem, we do this all the time" was the response).

It worked fine on the 2 smaller structures I built but it was always something I thought about as I was building and always looking for the most efficient appliances.

The recommendation on the 36K BTU AC came from many sources, and I knew about oversizing and humidity issues.

The 50K BTU was only 11,000 B more and I thought, well ok, I can open the doors to the bedrooms that had no AC and maybe reap the benifits of the larger size.

As the story went, the 50K unit was 3 phase and to convert it would cost over 200,000 as I would need a transformer.

Back to the 36K, same cassette size so no gypsum repair :D and it works quite nicely.
After the install, everything was turned on, and I mean lights, appliances, boiler, and the smaller a/c in the bedroom, everything.
I don't know how fast the meter is spinning out there, but the draw is fine, no breaker trips and really no issues.

I know that many the larger houses with open floor plans built in Sukasame village have 2 units as common practice.

My design called for interior soffits around the living area perimeter and if I used 2 wall mounted units, well, it just wasn't practical for placement, and I needed a ceiling cassette unit.

I had 2, switched Mit. bath exhaust fans mounted in the ceiling near the windows where the heat will be generated and a 84" ceiling fan thats on a 5' downrod, yet still 12' from the floor.

I'm still working on the right usage combination, but beleive I have all the bases covered..... I think.

I built what I built with what little knowledge I had and I'm ok with the outcome.

I want to thank all that assisted me with their knowledge and recommendations.

I just got an aircard today and finally able to get back in touch with the masses.

As time permits, I'll be posting some completion pics and giving an update on costs involved, subs used and other info that might be helpfull to some.

Back soon...., Cheers
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:16 am

Baht Man wrote:I don't believe I skimped on the elec.
I ran 2-50mm lines (albeit alum and not copper) as alum. is used by the city in their power lines, and copper was 10x the price.

There are various sized meters the electric mob supply 15/40 45/100 etc etc. If ever you start getting overload then that's the first place to look at. Some people put in 15/40 meters because that's what a normal Thai house would use with just the fridge and fans used. It's us farangs that have all those wonderful added electrical extras like 500 watt gaming computers. large air conditioners, fridge/freezers, hot water heaters etc etc etc. It pays at the start to have the electric mob put in a 45/100 meter at the start, that way you can add without worry and won't overload the system.
You sound as though you have the 45/100 "the bigger meter" in which case it would take a lot more than just a few air conditioners etc to cause overload.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:37 am

I had a 15/45 put in from the start.

When the elec man from the village that works for the power company the out (same one that talked about 3 phase) he said if there was an issue he'd just put in a 100 amp meter for me and said the 2-50mm wires were more than enough.

Thanks
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:12 am

Or maybe it was a 15/40 but point being, it was not the std. Thai sized meter.

Someone once told me that the bigger the meter the cheaper the cost per unit used was less.

Any truth to that ??
Baht Man

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 am

Baht Man wrote:Or maybe it was a 15/40 but point being, it was not the std. Thai sized meter.

Someone once told me that the bigger the meter the cheaper the cost per unit used was less.

Any truth to that ??

I don't know about that but the bigger the meter the higher the standing charge.
We have a 15/45 and have to pay every month, most people in the village use 5/15 and because they are careful don't pay anything at all.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Baht Man wrote:Someone once told me that the bigger the meter the cheaper the cost per unit used was less.

Any truth to that ??

The more you use the cheaper it gets, or so the Thai saying goes, but the only difference I have found is you get the option to have an "off-peak" meter installed if you consume over a certain amount. I am in Nontharburi, just outside Bangkok and EGAT (Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand) asked us if we would like a new meter which incorporated "off-peak" loading. It saved us about 2,000 baht a month at the townhouse and it will be going in here now we have "been here two years". I have no idea where that "rule" came from as we were offered it (off-peak meter at a greater deposit) at the Nontharburi EGAT HQ when we first applied for the 45/100 meter, but that's what their "technician" claimed when he installed the normal 45/100 meter. I think my wife just refused to pay-out the greater deposit at the time, but off-peak will be going in.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Ok, so mine is a 15/45 and I'll stay with that for the time being as it's working quite well..
I've had enough decision making to last me awhile.

Time to reap the benifits and have a cool one. :D

On a side note, when I deposited 30K for the 36K BTU A/C, the balance was to be paid on installation completion.
Total for the 36K unit was about 70K.

After they switched from the 50K BTU back to the 36K, I've not heard a peep from them about final payment.

Have I saved myself 40K because they're embarassed? :shock:
Baht Man

Postby pipoz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Baht Man

Is the house finished and how did the final product turn out

pipoz
pipoz

Postby unclezillion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:46 am

Here is my 36k Saijo Denki unit.works nicely. a lack of natural light in my TV area will have to be addressed at sometime
as its like the black hole of Calcutta in there and i'm turning into a troglodyte :roll:
DSCN0549.JPG
unclezillion

Postby gliffaes » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 am

unclezillion wrote:Here is my 36k Saijo Denki unit.works nicely. a lack of natural light in my TV area will have to be addressed at sometime
as its like the black hole of Calcutta in there and i'm turning into a troglodyte :roll:
DSCN0549.JPG

Was the aircon an afterthought??? ie put over a window?
gliffaes

Postby unclezillion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:00 pm

gliffaes wrote:
unclezillion wrote:Here is my 36k Saijo Denki unit.works nicely. a lack of natural light in my TV area will have to be addressed at sometime
DSCN0549.JPG

yes the sun hits that wall all day and the small window at the top was a security measure as it is on the street. the air went in this year.
The window will be blocked up soon. we normally wait a year or so to do the tweaking and then do a few jobs at once
in the next month or two the whole left wall will become glass doors and lighten things considerably. The main doors now will be moved to there
and it will have a new window that will use half the space (4ft by 9ft). i will do all the prep myself and our window guy will just do the windows.
its gonna be fun with my arthritis. i did 4 kitchen cabinets yesterday and a couple of shelves and i'm aching today :?
unclezillion

Postby gliffaes » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:40 pm

unclezillion wrote:
gliffaes wrote:
DSCN0549.JPG

yes the sun hits that wall all day and the small window at the top was a security measure as it is on the street. the air went in this year.
The window will be blocked up soon. we normally wait a year or so to do the tweaking and then do a few jobs at once
in the next month or two the whole left wall will become glass doors and lighten things considerably. The main doors now will be moved to there
and it will have a new window that will use half the space (4ft by 9ft). i will do all the prep myself and our window guy will just do the windows.
its gonna be fun with my arthritis. i did 4 kitchen cabinets yesterday and a couple of shelves and i'm aching today :?

Part timer eh :lol: ...........cut the hedge this morning 50 metres long 6am then 2 hours weeding then 4 hours door painting, inbetween feeding the fish doing the washing etc...........no staff u c!!
gliffaes

Postby Baht Man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:34 am

pipoz wrote:Hi Baht Man

Is the house finished and how did the final product turn out

pipoz

Yea, finally finished and I moved in on Sept. 1, regardless of what Buddah advised.
The original 150 day quote ended up at 300+ and I moved in spite of the impending bad karma.

I just got the internet connected yesterday (CAT fiber optic line) and will post updated pics and posts in the next few days..
Baht Man

Previous

Return to Your Building Story