Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:01 am

11/8/2016. Steel & cement for the first two poles were purchased today; 9mm SR24, 12 & 16mm rebar, cement, sand and gravel. The first 12 piles were also delivered. It has been raining for the last two days and the pile truck sank in a mud hole. Pile driver should be on site tomorrow.
Attachments
5.jpg
8.jpg
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:09 am

11/10/2016. Pile driver on site and installed several piles. Only one problem, they’re not long enough. 12+ meters down and cannot pass the load test. Next step is to order 3 or 4 meter piles and some type of splicing component. We have to pay for the pile driver to come out and set up again. At this point, I’m not sure how much more this will add to the project cost. Also, the blessing of first footing is pushed out to Sunday, if everything works out.

Anyone know how they splice these piles together?
Attachments
5.jpg
12 meter pile
1.jpg
There is a pile down there somewhere
Alan
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:37 am

Alan wrote: Next step is to order 3 or 4 meter piles and some type of splicing component. We have to pay for the pile driver to come out and set up again. At this point, I’m not sure how much more this will add to the project cost. Also, the blessing of first footing is pushed out to Sunday, if everything works out.

Alan I posted what you should have done in the first place.......talk to the Or Bor Tor engineer...... if you keep guestimating with the pile company doing the leading, it will cost you 5 times what it should cost and then it will probably be wrong.
You have to stop listening to the "experts" and become one yourself otherwise your house will cost ten times what it should.
The Thais will tell you the first thing that comes into their head based on the fact you're a rich farang.
Time to read a few build stories before you go any further.
Roger Ramjet

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Another unhelpful comment from said "expert" there.

I would take a step back before throwing money at it. ok yes you can splice piles but you dont really want to do that. it involves a steel sleeve, a bit like a pipe connector really.

However think about it. Firstly what is the loading each pile has been tested at? what is the load of your property that should have been calculated in the first place.? if they are working on a f.o.s of 2 or 3 or 5 then reduce it and realistically see if they will support the load.....there may not be any need to panic over their load readings.

If they are short, so what.....they can be simply increased in height simply by shuttering another ground column on top. If they have sunk them already a meter or two below, they can excavate around, even build a small pile cap then shutter and concrete an extension. its no different to having your foundations on a "pad" ; mine are like that, 1.5-2m before the ground ring beam.

Another alternative is simply to add 1,2 or 3 extra piles just to distribute the load to extra ground points though if they are just driving them down and down and down something tells me that the piled solution was wrong in the first place.

if its not a massive expense to get them to add a further half dozen; subject to some good honest advice from your engineer (not the pile rig 2money money money" boys) then thats what I would do.

Dont be at all pressured by the wife, the bloody flower ceremony or a smiling Thai face into rushing into anything. Thailand is not a place that rushes anyway.
eyecatcher

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:01 am

11/11/2016. After getting a copy of the loading report we have decided to continue on. The report states that they are rated for 25 tons which is more than enough. I calculated the weight on each pile long ago to determine what size we would need. I only have 3 piles with a loading of 12 tons; the rest are around 6 or 7 tons.
RR: We did go to the Or Bit Tor who stated that 12 meters is what their maps indicate for our area so that is what we based our order on.
Eyecatcher: The splicing conversation was to insure we had reached the correct soil bearing pressure. It is all in the past now. My plans show the bottom of the footing starts about 1.25 meters in the ground so we will just add a little to it. The house floor is 1.20 meters above graded elevation so we don’t have to deal with any flooding issues.
After getting some pictures of today’s activities we had to have a talk to our project manager about following the house drawings and not the “good idea fairy”. (there seems to be many hanging around) We had a few issues about size, spacing and additional steel but even more critical, I need to know if any changes to the plan are made. Anyway, things are moving ahead.
Attachments
6.jpg
Constructing a Footer Column
4.jpg
Pile about 1.5 meter down
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 am

First footing of new house has been blessed. Waiting for more piles to cure.
Attachments
7.jpg
Alan
Alan

Building in Bang Khla

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:03 am

Expected Weight on Piles
Attachments
Slide2.JPG
May have to enlarge to see all weights
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:25 am

More piles delivered. pile driver comes tomorrow.
Attachments
4.jpg
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 am

After the 44 piles were installed, everyone took a break.
1. because of a family funeral
2. a previous house build still had floor tile to be installed

Construction should resume in 2 weeks. At that point everything should be dedicated to my project.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:40 am

Meanwhile, I still have a few things to get quotes for or find out.
1. Windows and Doors. For the smaller house that we built earlier this year, we approached a local manufacturer who wanted 2,500thb per m2. We bought windows from Watsadu which were 1,900thb per m2 (1.00x1.20, sliding, single pane w/insect screen). They were appropriate for this build. But, for the bigger house, we wanted a little more. We added a rounded top to the windows, double pane, tinted, safety glass, sliding w/insect screen. No doubt will be more expensive but necessary to keep the aircon inside. Not sure if these have to be custom made. Still looking for these.
2. My calculations for electric service indicated 3-phase power. We asked PEA and they said we would need to pay to have 3-phase extended and purchase a transformer at the tune of 600,000+thb. After checking with another expat living in Bangkok, (electrician) he indicated I could probably get away with a 30/100amp single phase meter. We are still checking to see if this is available.

Still trying to source these items as they will become decision points in the very near future. Any tips appreciated. My house is in the Bang Khla area.
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:51 pm

Alan wrote:Meanwhile, I still have a few things to get quotes for or find out.
1. Windows and Doors. For the smaller house that we built earlier this year, we approached a local manufacturer who wanted 2,500thb per m2. We bought windows from Watsadu which were 1,900thb per m2 (1.00x1.20, sliding, single pane w/insect screen). They were appropriate for this build. But, for the bigger house, we wanted a little more. We added a rounded top to the windows, double pane, tinted, safety glass, sliding w/insect screen. No doubt will be more expensive but necessary to keep the aircon inside. Not sure if these have to be custom made. Still looking for these.
2. My calculations for electric service indicated 3-phase power. We asked PEA and they said we would need to pay to have 3-phase extended and purchase a transformer at the tune of 600,000+thb. After checking with another expat living in Bangkok, (electrician) he indicated I could probably get away with a 30/100amp single phase meter. We are still checking to see if this is available.

Still trying to source these items as they will become decision points in the very near future. Any tips appreciated. My house is in the Bang Khla area.

You need to do a proper load calculation to check. FWIW you can probably draw at least 150 amps all day long from a 30/100 supply.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:38 pm

Thanks Sometimewoodworker, I ran two separate load calculation from different references. Air-conditioning in every room seems to be the energy hog. I'm getting around 200 amps total load (everything on). We will never be running everything at one time and I cannot imagine using more than 40% of the air conditioners at one time (and that's probably extreme) This would bring the load down under 150 amps so if I can get a 30/100 meter I should not have any problems.
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Alan wrote:Thanks Sometimewoodworker, I ran two separate load calculation from different references. Air-conditioning in every room seems to be the energy hog. I'm getting around 200 amps total load (everything on). We will never be running everything at one time and I cannot imagine using more than 40% of the air conditioners at one time (and that's probably extreme) This would bring the load down under 150 amps so if I can get a 30/100 meter I should not have any problems.

Air conditioning is seldom the biggest load, it is the water pump and shower that are the energy hogs. Power used is about 1/3 of the cooling effect. Also A/C's very seldom use the maximum power that they are rated for so I would use 1/2 the rating in a rough calculation, and that would probably be high.

Also if you want to be energy efficient the you need to run DC fans in your AC spaces (they use 1/10 the power of AC fans).
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:14 am

Very interesting. Are you talking about the fan unit of the A/C or ceiling fans. I don't remember any seeing any description or choice of AC/DC when shopping for either. All my aircons are inverter type. That would be a great savings. Would I need transformer equipment?
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 am

Alan wrote:Very interesting. Are you talking about the fan unit of the A/C or ceiling fans. I don't remember any seeing any description or choice of AC/DC when shopping for either. All my aircons are inverter type. That would be a great savings. Would I need transformer equipment?

The fans I'm taking about are ceiling fans not air conditioning fans.

You won't find them in the usual shops, mine are the MrKen fans and the power supply is built in. You can see them http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4890&start=266 here. They are also much quieter than the cheap ones and have 6 speeds.
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story