Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 pm

pipoz wrote:Its not all bad news with Doors, as some might suggest.

Nice photos pipoz. I know I'm old and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but they look like glass doors to me. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:Its not all bad news with Doors, as some might suggest.

Nice photos pipoz. I know I'm old and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but they look like glass doors to me. :lol:

Roger you are only a few years older than me and probably not as blind, plus that old Kiwi-Dutchman on the left was 76 at the time

Just offered them as a suggestion to Alan if he is interested

Yes, glass doors, using 6mm Laminated glass in the set off Patio Doors and 8mm Heat Strengthened in the Main Doors & Fixed Side Panels. Yes they are "Not everyone's cup of tea" to use a British expression, but I wasn't worried about security, just wanted the look. Old teak wood frames from Chaing Mai.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Nice doors Pipoz. I saw them when I looked at you build. I had some uPVC French doors with side windows picked out but the wife insisted that this was her decision. :( (I won the battle for the more expensive, insulated/tinted/double pane windows so I will yield to her door decision)
The doors are aged Mai Sak? (teak). They are manufactured in Chang Mai and come with a certification. Their website claims that they have been dried and then left to rest ending up with a moisture content of ~14%. They will be stained and then sealed twice. Also, the doors are somewhat protected by the roof on the front porch. Hopefully, less exposure to temperature changes and rain. All exterior doors are under a roof.

We purchase similar doors for the wife's sister when we remodeled her place back in 2001. Last time I was there she had a couple of cracks but she never maintained them and they are directly exposed to the elements.
Alan
Alan

Postby pipoz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Alan wrote:Nice doors Pipoz. I saw them when I looked at you build. I had some uPVC French doors with side windows picked out but the wife insisted that this was her decision. :( (I won the battle for the more expensive, insulated/tinted/double pane windows so I will yield to her door decision)
The doors are aged Mai Sak? (teak). They are manufactured in Chang Mai and come with a certification. Their website claims that they have been dried and then left to rest ending up with a moisture content of ~14%. They will be stained and then sealed twice. Also, the doors are somewhat protected by the roof on the front porch. Hopefully, less exposure to temperature changes and rain. All exterior doors are under a roof.

We purchase similar doors for the wife's sister when we remodeled her place back in 2001. Last time I was there she had a couple of cracks but she never maintained them and they are directly exposed to the elements.

Good idea Alan, there are times during the build you have to yield to the ladies wishes, or you will never hear the end of it :roll: not to mention finding yourself on the couch :cry:

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby Klondyke » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Yes, quite a plenty of teak doors can be seen in the North, some of them well aged and with very good quality, some of them not so good. Showing few pictures:

And yes, it is true that the wooden doors (whatever species) will suffer once exposed to rough weather conditions. Even at the indoors doors a contraction and expansion can be remarkably observed whenever the season has changed - suddenly the door does not fit into the frame. Surely in the north and NE areas this effect is more likely than at the south where the season is almost just one (or just two: hot and very hot?)

To avoid the expansions we did on a special request doors by white oak (US import) with few bolts embedded in the door thickness over the width of the door, hence perfectly keeping the width. Although the length will get also some expansion, that can be tolerated by the threshold covering.
Klondyke

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 am

Very Nice doors Klondyke.

Framing out floor beans now.
Attachments
45.jpg
39.jpg
8.jpg
1.jpg
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue May 02, 2017 9:46 am

not sure why pictures posted twice.

hopefully new pictures of the house beams tomorrow.

Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Fri May 05, 2017 8:36 am

Ok, a little late on the pictures.
About a third of the floor beams have been poured and preparation of the rest of the underhouse "skimcoat".
Attachments
Kitchen_Skim_Coat.jpg
Preparing for final "Skim Coat" under Kitchen
North_Side_Livingroom3.jpg
East_Side_mBedroom.jpg
East side of mBedroom and Den
Center_Beam_mBedroom_Bathroom1.jpg
Added to support a wall separating bathroom and closets
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun May 07, 2017 8:00 am

So I have an issue with the garage floor. Currently, the subsurface is a gravely sand. I have sent instructions to the contractor that this needs to be dug out and replaced with #2 stone at 10cm thickness. On top of that 15mil vapor barrier and 12mm SD40 rebar spaced at 30cm x 30cm.

We will see.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 am

All of my concrete calculations thus far, have been way under the actual concrete purchased amount/cost. I may be wrong but, my guess is that we are not getting what we ordered. Does anyone have any wisdom to offer?

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Alan,
I used Fastcrete as their rep called around when we first started. I ordered everything through him after going and inspecting the "factory" and I told the boss there we would be using ALL, I think it was 1700 steng (the strongest and most expensive), and nobody could change it, especially not the builder. I checked each load to make sure it wasn't soup and the builder did as well. I ordered through my wife who ordered through the Rep and then I deposited the money in the companies account and took the receipt to the factory where I watched them mix the stuff.
I have a feeling, as you are not there, the builder might be changing the Steng number down to 1200 and pocketing the difference in money, or else the company is sending soup that will go further, or look as though it will go further if they throw in a few buckets of sand and gravel, but will weaken the final product even further.
I always underestimated and then mixed the remaining in my 1 cube mixer.
You can tell if you are being dudded if you climb on the back of the truck and look at the level. Some of the companies will send the concrete truck to another location first, then to you and the builder will make up the difference with sand and gravel.
It was easy for me to keep an eye on the truck as I would follow it and I used a crane with a cube bucket and I counted every bucket at the time.
The rep always called around after a big pour to make sure it was right and it always was. Using a crane not only makes it easy to keep count, but also makes a large build simple. I was out by one cube in my calculations (and the builder's) just twice, and we mixed the cube in the mixer once and in the truck once.
I hope that is what you are looking for?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Tue May 09, 2017 8:38 am

thanks RR.
the receipts always say 300 CUBE which is not the m3 and the price is 2500 per m3
Alan
Alan

Postby Klondyke » Tue May 09, 2017 8:52 am

I have purchased few times by CPAC a truck or two of 5 m3, direct order by myself. It was always the lowest grade since for foundation desk, some 1,500/m3. It was quit easy going, after first truck confirmed how much more
m3 the next truck should, mostly corresponding with my original calculation. Each truck signed by us, after the last one sombody from the company arrived (since not far) to get the check.
Klondyke

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am

Alan wrote:thanks RR.
the receipts always say 300 CUBE which is not the m3 and the price is 2500 per m3

For a large pour like yours the trucks should have 5 cubic metres on board, not 3 m3, which means they are going to another place first and unless the other place is using a crane they have no idea if they are dropping off 2 1/2 or even 3 m3, or maybe just 1 1/2 m3.
I don't know who the supplier is, but CPAC have a really bad reputation and have been caught many times under loading and topping with water, which is the reason I didn't use them. The drivers also have a bad reputation for adding more water on the way.
Your only way of checking is by being there during a pour and climbing onto the back of the truck to check and using the crane.
Sorry I can only guess, which I know is not much help and can go by what I've read and seen. You can ask for a slump test, which will stop the driver from adding more water, but as far as the builder adding more sand and gravel when the truck pulls up, you have to be there.
It's an easy way for the builder to get more out of a load cheaply and use your sand and gravel to do it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am

Double post removed.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story