Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Alan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 am

RR, thanks for your experienced comments. They are very informative. Please continue.
I know the pictures are poor, as I said my nephew is not skilled in construction photography. I am providing a photo I have of the garage to house steps which show “beam” for the step (without the stair rebar extending out of it). This was done between photo sessions. I hope you can confirm that it is actually a beam tied into the floor beam system.
The other picture is again, not the best but of the front porch which is about 3m wide.
Unfortunately, I can’t get snaps of everything because I am trying to manage this project from another country (U.S), so I do the best I can.
Keep throwing anything you see my way. This is my last house and I would like it to be as close to perfect as possible.
Alan
Attachments
3.jpg
Front_Porch.jpg
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:19 am

Alan wrote:The other picture is again, not the best but of the front porch which is about 3m wide.

Alan,
I can see the beam and the rebar, what is missing is the shuttering. The builder could have run out and decided to just pour the beam without the shuttering. It has been done before and will be done again and that would explain the lack of a squared edge and it being lower at one end.
Just a suggestion, you can get thick black plastic in 100 X 2 metre rolls for less than 1,000 baht, I would make the builder put it under the rebar where there is no shuttering to stop the water in the cement from just soaking into the ground and weakening the whole beam.
From what I can see, the builder is not scrimping and saving on rebar at least.
Shuttering (metal) is dirt cheap to hire at 3 baht a day and when he builds the columns it might be a good idea to have him use it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Sorry I don't have a decent pic to show you and it's too late now, but the contractor has an endless supply of shuttering. That's not the issue. The only issue I have is the rebar is protruding beyond the width of the front porch. I will talk to him about why this is.
Attachments
5.jpg
Soil Compation
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Alan wrote:Sorry I don't have a decent pic to show you and it's too late now, but the contractor has an endless supply of shuttering. That's not the issue. The only issue I have is the rebar is protruding beyond the width of the front porch. I will talk to him about why this is.

Ah, I can answer that one, he's realised that you are just a "falang" and don't understand Thailand so he's put the extra one in for an umbrella stand or a shoe rack, that you forgot in the plans. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:51 am

Dirt compaction (above picture) and then 12 truckloads of sand...more compaction. About a third of the skim coat of concrete for under the house is complete. The other portion is expected to be ready to pour on Monday. They still have to do a final float then keep it wet during curing.
Attachments
15.jpg
Under House Skim Coat
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:13 am

Alan wrote:Dirt compaction (above picture) and then 12 truckloads of sand...more compaction. About a third of the skim coat of concrete for under the house is complete. The other portion is expected to be ready to pour on Monday. They still have to do a final float then keep it wet during curing.

Not much point to keeping the top wet when the water is leaching out of the bottom into the sand base.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:05 pm

STWW, could you share the specs and price of the AC units you used in your build

Thanks, Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 am

Alan wrote:STWW, could you share the specs and price of the AC units you used in your build

Thanks, Alan

91,000 for a cassette unit I think it's a 36,000 btu Mitsubishi mr slim inverter
And 32,000 for a Mitsubishi moveye inverter I don't currently remember which one and we are in Japan now.

Both of these have a heating function, though we don't choose them for that.

Also as we wanted the outside units mounted more than 4 meters from the inside units we paid extra.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Alan

My Mitsubishi Inverter Units for the Bedrooms were,
MIT MSY-GK13VA 12103.73BTU Super Inverter TB 25,500 per Unit - Supply & Install (I use two of them in a 42 m2 Bedroom and one of them in a 20m2 Bedroom)
MIT MSY-GK09VA 8656.93 BTU Super Inverter TB 21,500 per Unit - Supply & Install (I use this in a 16m2 Bedroom)

Then I had a larger one, a Mitsubishi Inverter 18,000 BTU put in the lounge TB 38,000 - Supply & Install (I use this in a 36m2 Living Room which has two large glass door areas and it copes easily)

The units cope no problem and are very quiet and reliable unit.

I bought them through this Company and they installed them in a very professional way. The Company is located by the Big C near the flyover where it intersects with the Ring Road

Regards

pipoz
Attachments
AC Man IMG.JPG
AC Man IMG
pipoz

Postby Alan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks.
So these prices include condenser and fan units as a set right?

is there an advantage using cassette vs. wall units?
Attachments
5.jpg
Framing for Floor Beams
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks.
So these prices include condenser and fan units as a set right?

Both units have fans :) however internal and external units are included.

is there an advantage using cassette vs. wall units?

A cassette directs the air from 1, 2, 3 or 4 directions, the unit wall units can only direct the air from 1. The ceiling in the room where our cassette unit is is 3.7 metres and the room is quite big 8M x 7M.

The style of unit will be influenced by your room design, in a long room a wall or ceiling mount unit would probably be better. A cassette unit does not come down into the room it is all above the ceiling and so is less obtrusive.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:05 am

Shopping for Wooden Front Doors
Attachments
9.jpg
Flowers w/some writing
8.jpg
Grapes
6.jpg
Dragon Version
1.jpg
Flower Engraved
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:02 am

Alan,
Just a word of warning, even though the doors look beautiful, they have to be totally covered from the elements and even then you have to put up with expansion and contraction if the wood hasn't been weathered properly.
I bought a really really nice wooden front door from with stained glass and stained glass surrounds for 35,000 baht and sold it the following week for glass doors. The only wooden door I have left is a mess, no matter what the chippy does the mouldings around the stained glass crack and the wooden panels have been filled with wood filler so many times, soon it will all be wood filler.
When the rain is horizontal the door leaks like a sieve and we now have old towels along the bottom as all the suggestions from members to do with keeping the rain out, failed miserably.
I'm not the only one either, my uncle up country had really expensive beautiful front doors that had been aged and hand carved and are totally covered, but as soon as the weather changes, the doors stick, they leak like blazes and he's now had the floor raised inside the house to keep the water out.
Good luck but it's a very expensive way to pain.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:02 am

Alan,
Just a word of warning, even though the doors look beautiful, they have to be totally covered from the elements and even then you have to put up with expansion and contraction if the wood hasn't been weathered properly.
I bought a really really nice wooden front door from with stained glass and stained glass surrounds for 35,000 baht and sold it the following week for glass doors. The only wooden door I have left is a mess, no matter what the chippy does the mouldings around the stained glass crack and the wooden panels have been filled with wood filler so many times, soon it will all be wood filler.
When the rain is horizontal the door leaks like a sieve and we now have old towels along the bottom as all the suggestions from members to do with keeping the rain out, failed miserably.
I'm not the only one either, my uncle up country had really expensive beautiful front doors that had been aged and hand carved and are totally covered, but as soon as the weather changes, the doors stick, they leak like blazes and he's now had the floor raised inside the house to keep the water out.
Good luck but it's a very expensive way to pain.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Alan wrote:Shopping for Wooden Front Doors

Hi Alan

Its not all bad news with Doors, as some might suggest.

Just depends on where you go to get them, what wood type you choose & how old it is and ultimately how much you wish to spend on your main door assemblies. I have the prices for the following door assemblies, delivered fully glazed, if you wish something like this. I can they are F.. heavy

Plus it helps to have someone with you, who has hung /installed over 3000 doors, in his lifetime and is trying to have just as many girlfriends. :lol:

pipoz
Attachments
Patio Door Set - 130cm W x 220cm H - 01.JPG
Patio Door Set - 130cm W x 220cm H - 01
Main Entrance Doors to South Elevations - 01.JPG
Main Entrance Doors to South Elevations - 01
The Carpenters Crew.JPG
The Carpenters Crew
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story