Slow build, Wat Phu Tok

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Slow build, Wat Phu Tok

Postby gippy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 am

The start of a new building story. This will be a long one as we aren't in any particular rush to get started or finished.
Wat Phu Tok is in Bueng Kan province, way, way up in the northeast. So far out it makes the middle of nowhere seem like Shinjuku. We bought a plot of land next to the MILs house a few years ago. We filled to level it out and raise it up a bit, there was a house on the land previously so not much fill was required. To be honest I can't remember how big the plot is, I think a little under 1 rai. It's big enough.

2012-05-01 at 13-30-07.jpg
Land after fill

2012-05-02 at 09-47-27.jpg
Land after fill

2012-05-02 at 09-47-45.jpg
Land after fill
gippy

What are we planning?

Postby gippy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:08 am

Planning is still in the early stages. We will be building a one story house, 2 or 3 bedrooms, not too small, not too big.
Our house will be fairly modest and will be more of a Thai style build for several reasons.

• Our budget is not huge, it's still to be decided depending on if the bank coughs up some cash.
  • We are not a big family, the rest of the family in the village have their own houses so no need for 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms.
  • I want a house in the village, not a village in the village (stole that from here somewhere).
  • When we stay in the village our lifestyle mainly revolves around outdoor activities. The fish don't catch themselves.
  • Lack of builders with any particular skill in the area.
  • Nearest Global / HomePro / Watsado is in Udon Thani, 2.5 hours drive away.
  • We may have to build another small house around 45 minutes drive away so have to save some cash for that. We have 35 rai of rubber trees just outside Phon Charoen that will need regular visits and another 9 rai a couple of km from the house land.

We found a house plan in a book that we liked and are currently having an architect customer of ours start work on modifying it to suit. We tracked down the builder who built a decent looking house in the next village. The MIL is currently testing him out by having them build a wall around her plot and then ours.
I will be on site for the house build and the MIL will be keeping a very close eye on everything, not much gets past her.
Mrs Gippy will remain in Bangkok for most of the build taking care of our business and bringing in the dough. I will be making regular trips back which will also be a good time to pick up some supplies.
The current plan is to have the builders to fully finish just the exterior of the house and build an outdoor kitchen. The interior will be unfinished or maybe primed. I will be finishing the interior myself. All trim, painting and furniture building and garden will be done by yours truly. This will take a time but we can't think of moving into the house until our main plantation is ready for tapping, that is 5 or 6 years away.
To build furniture for a house requires some kind of workshop, which leads nicely into the next post.
gippy

The workshop

Postby gippy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:14 am

The first thing to be built will be a combined workshop and storage area. I need a workshop and we need somewhere to keep some junk and farming supplies. This is going to be a very Thai style build. Render only on the outside, metal roof and concrete floor. I will be sure to post a warning before any pictures are posted. If the wall builder works out then we will have him do the workshop, hoping to start early next year.
I drew up a simple plan in SketchUp to show what I'm looking for.

Screenshot 2013-10-23 19.46.14.png
Current workshop plan
gippy

Re: Slow build, Wat Phu Tok

Postby terp80 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:31 am

We'll be looking for more of those good pics. Best of luck, gippy. :D
terp80

Postby gippy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 am

terp80 wrote:We'll be looking for more of those good pics. Best of luck, gippy. :D

Thanks terp80, I'm sure we will need it. I don't think I will have many pictures of the workshop build as I will be in Bangkok for most of it. I should have plenty of the main house build though.
gippy

Postby gippy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 am

Ok, I'm updating this thread with the news that I can't really update it. I had planned to be in the village now over seeing the build and taking lots of photos. Unfortunately I had complications during 'routine' surgery and spent over 3 weeks in hospital. I am house bound for some time now.
Meantime the build is progressing nicely. Poles, footings and roof (aluminium sheets) are all done. The project manager (MIL) is currently organising another crew to build the walls, do the floor and so on. Due to my illness we have a change of plan with the use of the workshop. The in-laws are going to pay to lay floor tiles which was never part of my plan, then they will move into the workshop while they rebuild their house. I should be fit enough to use it as a workshop by the time that is all finished.
gippy

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:48 am

gippy wrote:Unfortunately I had complications during 'routine' surgery and spent over 3 weeks in hospital. I am house bound for some time now.

Sorry to hear about that ... hope they managed to sew it back on neatly and it still functions :P :lol:

Speedy recovery ... times like this when you appreciate a reliable project manager!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby gippy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 am

MGV12 wrote:Sorry to hear about that ... hope they managed to sew it back on neatly and it still functions :P :lol:

Luckily for me we don't have any ducks :lol:
gippy

Return to Your Building Story