Carefree El Cheapo build (Thai style be warned graphic)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Carefree El Cheapo build (Thai style be warned graphic)

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 pm

final "final update"
Door in, did it myself couldnt trust locals etc etc 9000 baht its the thickest aluminium
Attachments
door.jpg
gliffaes

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:28 am

gliffaes wrote:final "final update"
Door in, did it myself couldnt trust locals etc etc 9000 baht its the thickest aluminium

And the final cost of this "carefree" ( :lol: :shock: :lol: ) build?
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:45 pm

fredlk wrote:
ArturoBurdin wrote:<Would this poster please contact administration http://www.coolthaihouse.com/contact-page/ - mod>

I think that posters of spam don't return at a later date to view their postings. This one can't even read / write English.

<This one can obviously either write English[ish] or at least copy/paste ... indications of a sentient capability :) - mod>

And here I am thinking the administration would offer Mr. Arturo some therapy and med-check... :lol:

<The 'Healthcare Insurance' box wasn't checked so I am afraid he is on his own! - mod>
schuimpge

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 pm

fredlk wrote:
gliffaes wrote:final "final update"

And the final cost of this "carefree" ( :lol: :shock: :lol: ) build?

peace of mind, everything i did myself knowing there will be no leaks and everything where it should be, doors that fit perfectly, tiles all nicely cut etc etc
I have nothing to do in life since retiring a few years ago.
Baht cost I really dont know suspect 150k, roof was cheap, single block wall, thickest plasterboard ceilings with 2 inch insulation ( thats enough to stop most of the roof heat)
Today poured 5 cubes of concrete down the road and filled a 80cm circular ring with concrete for my satellite dish on a pole not strapped to the house eaves.
All electric and service underground inc internet.
The 5 cubes lets water run off easily down the road to my laKE AS BEFORE IT WAS JUST WASHING THE ROAD AWAY AND TONS OF SLURRY INTO THE LAKE oooops hit caps and cant be bothered to re type
Arms killing me but thats the price of not having a bodge up.
Wifes sister now installed in maids house for the next 7 weeks
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:29 pm

photos
Attachments
20140725_151841-web.jpg
20140725_150722-web.jpg
20140725_151155-web.jpg
20140725_150822-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Say what you want, but congrats on a really nice build..
Looks outstanding.
Enjoy your trip to Europe.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Psychic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 pm

gliffaes wrote:Sometime,Ive had the staff massaging it everyday for over an hour when they were here, I now have half a flip flop in my shoes to give it better support..............it seems reluctant to go.

With Plantar Fasciitis, what worked for me was using a Dr. Scholls insert in my shoes (I assume there is something similar available here or online) after I got it cleared up. To do that I rolled my feet on frozen plastic water bottles as often as I could then supported the tendons with a stretch bandage. You need to take the inflammation out of the tendons. It's been pretty good now for about 6 months. I can actually walk 10+ kilometers without pain.
Psychic

Postby gliffaes » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Psychic wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Sometime,Ive had the staff massaging it everyday for over an hour when they were here, I now have half a flip flop in my shoes to give it better support..............it seems reluctant to go.

With Plantar Fasciitis, what worked for me was using a Dr. Scholls insert in my shoes (I assume there is something similar available here or online) after I got it cleared up. To do that I rolled my feet on frozen plastic water bottles as often as I could then supported the tendons with a stretch bandage. You need to take the inflammation out of the tendons. It's been pretty good now for about 6 months. I can actually walk 10+ kilometers without pain.

Ive found a wooden block useful......insert in mouth then use cutting blade in angle grinder to remove foot.
Ok I keep falling over a bit but the plus side is Im only spending half the money I used to on footwear.
I would suggest however doing this outdoors a s blood spatter is a bitch to get off things :lol:
Youll need a bucket of boiling tar also but this does sting a bit.....you have been warned!!
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Contain your excitement I board the plane in 9 hours on my way back from the UK, stopping at Dubai en route..............what will I come back to? catastrophe, calamity, confusion..............apparently not, the lake is nearing full so time to seal up the entry hole for water.
Neighbour up the hill has texted us twice now to sell his land to us............we didnt answer, he has no access............oh dear :lol:
gliffaes

Postby pipoz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:57 pm

gliffaes wrote:Contain your excitement I board the plane in 9 hours on my way back from the UK, stopping at Dubai en route..............what will I come back to? catastrophe, calamity, confusion..............apparently not, the lake is nearing full so time to seal up the entry hole for water.
Neighbour up the hill has texted us twice now to sell his land to us............we didnt answer, he has no access............oh dear :lol:

Approximately what is he asking for per Rai down you way?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby gliffaes » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:03 pm

pipoz wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Contain your excitement I board the plane in 9 hours on my way back from the UK, stopping at Dubai en route..............what will I come back to? catastrophe, calamity, confusion..............apparently not, the lake is nearing full so time to seal up the entry hole for water.

Approximately what is he asking for per Rai down you way?

pipoz

Its debatable..............when I bought about 4-5years ago it was VERY cheap 80k per rai.........now I believe the neighbour opposite paid about 150k per rai.
The neighbour up the hill is selling land he cant sell, no papers ( ours is nor sor sam Ghor) for about 150k for 15 rai.Its land you cannot build on and infact is owned by the state but they will let you use it to grow crops etc
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:45 am

Wifes Sister now left, said she loved the job, worked GREAT clean tidy carefull not in anyway lazy...............but.......... not saying if she will or wants to come back, she has a "Thai disease" of once they get a bit of money they just go, we paid her 18,000 baht and she was delighted.............cant figure it out......Wife cant figure it out?? before she came she was "skint" and didnt know how they were going to survive the next month or so.
ODD!!
Ive been ill for 9 days with flu or something so done nothing, just now started to put the skirting tile round the maids house, then I have to paint outside and inside with the top coats.
Am concreting all the roads on the land about 1500m2 starting next week.
So have a fully finished maids house ( again) but no staff ( again).
I really dont know how this is all going to end but with no staff Ive told my Wife its a waste of time us even having the land and it seems the staff are like needles in a haystack.
Its certainly nothing like id imagined it would be.......buy some land, grow some crop get some staff to take care of it.....seems none are interested, my Wife just says "people lazy now"
Attachments
IMAG0004.jpg
IMAG0003.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Skirting tiles finished, grouted and painted top lip, sanded the 3 doors undercoated twice, gloss tomorrow.
Pressure tank on order for the water supply, 200 litre went for the Grundfos ( pricey) 25k 5 year guarantee also ordered pressure gauge, pressure switch etc.
Attachments
IMAG0009.jpg
IMAG0008.jpg
gliffaes

Postby fredlk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 pm

gliffaes wrote:So have a fully finished maids house ( again) but no staff ( again).
I really dont know how this is all going to end but with no staff Ive told my Wife its a waste of time us even having the land and it seems the staff are like needles in a haystack.

Will you be featuring in one of the episodes of this new Channel4 show?
Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at Friday - 24 Oct 2014 - 16.40.01 .png
fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 am

Steel arrives for the road, 2.5m wide , 50 metres long, 4 mm thick 37k baht for 12 rolls will double up on driveway in, but rest of the road will just be 10cm thick as its only to get around the land easily and stop the road washing away when it rains.
Attachments
steel.jpg
gliffaes

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story