Carefree El Cheapo build (Thai style be warned graphic)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Carefree El Cheapo build (Thai style be warned graphic)

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:15 pm

So off we go again with Maids house 2 ( the sequel) which hopefully wont be like Rocky 12345?

Employed local builder ( Im sorry I mustnt say builder really) who can do everything but with the usual Thai technique of do first think later.

28k labour to build 42m2 which is staffs bedroom/living , open veranda/cooking, bathroom, store room for main house materials

Day 1 dig footings ( as shallow as possible) loose term , I told him 50 cm minimum but his idea was to measure form the top of the beam to get this so 3 columns were just straight onto the ground, i rectified this by buying longer columns.
Reason is the ground slopes on the site.
Now a normal person would put 50 cm deep at the lowest point and the others would then all be deeper as we go up the gradient.
Holes dug and about anything form 4-8 inches of concrete in for the pre cast posts.
Next day columns erected and some more concrete slopped in.
SLOPPED notice as in true form it was water with some stones in ( remember I DONT CARE)
Today Steel beams going on, used steel so dont have to think about re roofing when the hordes of termites on our land munch thru it ( cost 20k) we do have an awful lot of the buggers here too.
Somchai gets 2 of the beams up manages to get a nice twist on the one, claims the steel is warped?? nah its a 5x2 box section matey ( couldnt get 4x2 locally) and then uses just one bolt to hold it on ( true Thai way) when there are in fact two hooles for this.
manages to crack 2 of the column tops at the weakest point trying to get the beam straight.
Neatly cuts the bolts holes with his welding rod ( again true Thai style) then goes out for a 3 hour lunch , comes back at 4.30 today and then goes home.
Price includes everything?? debatable I reckon.
Tomorrows installment coming up..........tomorrow.
This is what youll get if you dont give a ( insert yer own expletive here)
Anyone wants his phone number let me know, maybe someone you dont like etc.
Once again the high calibre shines out.
Attachments
20130704_151922-1-web.jpg
helps the rain run off you know
20130704_151850-1-web.jpg
it does fit honest , i didnt get the levels wrong
20130703_103939-1-web.jpg
2 days later, note some virtually on the ground
20130702_163546-web.jpg
yes they really arent deep
3d2-web.jpg
3d6.jpg
gliffaes

Re: Carefree El Cheapo build (Thai style be warned graphic)

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Does the 28k labor include removing it after finishing your project?

My guess is that he will charge farang prices for that... :D :lol: :lol:
schuimpge

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:58 pm

schuimpge wrote:Does the 28k labor include removing it after finishing your project?

My guess is that he will charge farang prices for that... :D :lol: :lol:

Probably.
The thing is honestly, dont you just find it rather sad that they see this as normal practice then pull out the most ridiculous story to back up why xyz happened, remember my original builders totally ruined the roof also.
I dont have time to spend on this being done well, Im back to the Uk in just a few weeks, I need a roof on and a working ( of sorts bathroom) whats hes done wont collapse but its just an eyesore to behold
Dont however think that this will be anything like how the main house will be, I WILL be fanatical, if you thought I was tough on the maids first house.........U aint seen nothing yet.
I expect to get through numerous builders very quickly although I will be using big companies from Bangkok for major work ie roof etc.
I will be ruthless and scathing.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Well yesterday Somchai got the roof metal mostly on, today I bought the tiles, those shera ones with 2 colours terracotta and yellow 65 baht each or 52baht for grey, near as i could get to something close to the other house and cheap.
I notice Somchai has not put a ridge steel in to fasten the top ridge caps too?? I dont think he has any plans for this but Ill tell him to anyway.
Welding not awful but not good.
Wall people no show and also today house builder no show? no idea why no call nothing????? they amaze me :shock:
Spent to date about 20k for steel 15 k for roof tiles and ridges barge pieces etc also must ask wife how much cocnrete posts were?/ I think about 700 baht each x 9 of them, bit of sand and stone, 5 bags boon daeng cement @129a bag
Makro dug the cess pit hole for us for free while he was doing the wall work.
Roof tile here MArmalade orange ( I hate marmalade)
http://www.mahaphant.com/en/our-product ... p?prdid=55
Attachments
roof.jpg
gliffaes

Postby schuimpge » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:35 pm

No need for ridge steel.
Just a bit of cement and then push the cap on top.

You want it thai style...sure can do.
:D :D :D
Cheers
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Can I please ask you how big is your roof ?

I must make 4 roofs for terrasse and garage ..so only to have an idea..thanks :)
Sunpax

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 am

schuimpge wrote:No need for ridge steel.
Just a bit of cement and then push the cap on top.

You want it thai style...sure can do.
:D :D :D
Cheers
Luc

Hey, it has to stay on you know :lol: :lol: Surprised they dont tell me "Elephant Glue"
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:38 am

Sunpax wrote:Can I please ask you how big is your roof ?

I must make 4 roofs for terrasse and garage ..so only to have an idea..thanks :)

Quite long and a bit wide..... does that help???

Its 9 metres long 8 metres wide or 72metres 2 (Square) each roof tile does 2.2 m2 so needed about 158.2 @65baht each, you can get plain cement colour for 52 baht, the expensive parts are the ridge caps and barge pieces about half as much as the tiles themselves about 16k for the lot
gliffaes

Postby thailazer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:15 am

Glif... That seems a lot of money for a small bit of steel. Did you buy it yourself or did the crew procure it for you?

Otherwise... Looking good for a carefree build.
thailazer

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:53 pm

thailazer wrote:Glif... That seems a lot of money for a small bit of steel. Did you buy it yourself or did the crew procure it for you?

Otherwise... Looking good for a carefree build.

we buy everything this also includes a load of db12 re bar, ill double check with my Wife i might have iy wrong.
6inch by 2 inch on the main cross members and 3.2mm thick as they didnt have 5x2 i stock
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:54 pm

gliffaes wrote:
Sunpax wrote:Can I please ask you how big is your roof ?

Quite long and a bit wide..... does that help???

Its 9 metres long 8 metres wide or 72metres 2 (Square) each roof tile does 2.2 m2 so needed about 158.2 @65baht each, you can get plain cement colour for 52 baht, the expensive parts are the ridge caps and barge pieces about half as much as the tiles themselves about 16k for the lot

That should read you need 2.2 tiles per square metre.......sorry
gliffaes

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks ! no probléme...i had correct by myself ;) for my main roof I 'v put tiles : 1.5m X 0.5m, and this one need 1.8 by m2

and i will put the same for terrasse...
Sunpax

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:19 pm

No show ( again) today from the wall people or the maid house 2 builder, no phone call to let us know etc.
I can see why the wall people didnt come, due to their great planning they hadnt got any posts onsite to put in today
( they make them).
Maids house roof going on and increased footing of wall photos.
Attachments
1s (4).jpg
1s (3).jpg
1s (2).jpg
1s (1).jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Latest update Wife says the builder man says "my way" is "waste his time" looks like he's off to do a runner.
So another total idiot to tick of the list.
I shall be doing the roof myself tomorrow so it might actually stay on.
He didnt like having to put a ridge beam of steel in. ( seems Lucs slopping of cement was necessary)
Paid him 9000 already, that includes the extra shallow footings and 3 cracked columns.
Might have guessed it would be "my fault"
I even had my Myanmar staff helping him everyday, so he got free labour .
Some folk never satisfied.
gliffaes

Postby Tommy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:37 am

Much worse the what I have around me so I guess I should feel comforted of sorts 0.0
Tommy

Next

Return to Your Building Story