Finished our Bungalow but couldn't move in

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

basements

Postby dozer » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:51 am

I saw basements recently at Jomtien Villa the new development there. It was not in every model, but about 75%. The basements were now entire house, but 1 room. Another kind of neat looking freature is they had a glass panel view into the underside of the pool from the basement.

Anyway, basements can be done, just a matter of expense!
dozer
Site Admin

New Build near Korat!

Postby simon.heald@telecity.com » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi guys, I'm just new to this and never knew till now, there were such forums for Farangs in Thailand, great stuff!

Steve, that sounds like a very nice house you've got yourself there. I would love to see the finished article and price breakdown too as my girlfriend and I are getting ready to build a house near Bua Yai, 70 kms from Korat! Any info would be greatly received.

We are after building a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, large living room & kitchen of the approximate size 120m? , in fact looking at what you have had built it sounds exactly what we are after.

The price we have been quoted so far is 840k, but this was for only around 88m?.

My girlfriends land size is approx. 400m?, so a house of the same size of yours would be ideal.

Do you possibly have any contact with this builder of yours that could quote me better than this? Where is he situated, in Bangkok? Do you think he would be interested in building near Korat?

I'm hoping to start building soon, but have nothing planned yet, my girlfriend is here visiting me till the end of the month, but is planning on seeing a couple of builders back home for better quotes. If you could send me pics of the finished house to simon@coppingerproperties.com , that would be great!

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Simon
simon.heald@telecity.com

Nice House.. and great pics

Postby swain » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:59 am

Hello,

Looking for a good builder as well. Satisfied customers are always the best source so I am VERY interested in speaking with them. Thanks in advance for the information Steve.

Hope all is well in your new home.

Swain
swain

Amazing price

Postby thaimic » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:50 am

1 million baht for 150 square meters is an extremely expensive price. I thought 1 million for 1500 sq meter too expensive! My closest neighbor had built this year, in Pattaya, a very nice 3/2 1500 sq meter house for under B500,000! People, you're in Thailand, why do you pay these Farang prices!!!!!! For 1 miilion Baht, it should have a big deep swimming pool, and outdoor bbq/pizza oven as well as solar appliances, and a well. I only voice this opinion because I KNOW I can build it for that price. I am in the process of completeing a purchase of 100 Rai in Hua Hin, have priced out everything except the tennis courts, haven't had the time to chase down material costs. Plus it's my business, so am not talking out of my you know what.
I don't mean to rain on Steve's parade, but this site is here to help everyone in their building projects. The goal, to my mind, should be get the quality you want, but try to pay Thai prices, or close to, at least.
thaimic

Postby the limey » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:26 pm

I think you may have added an extra zero accidently, 1,500 sq meters?

300baht odd per sq meter?
the limey

Re: Amazing price

Postby John » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:28 pm

thaimic wrote:1 million baht for 150 square meters is an extremely expensive price. I thought 1 million for 1500 sq meter too expensive! My closest neighbor had built this year, in Pattaya, a very nice 3/2 1500 sq meter house for under B500,000! People, you're in Thailand, why do you pay these Farang prices!!!!!! For 1 miilion Baht, it should have a big deep swimming pool, and outdoor bbq/pizza oven as well as solar appliances, and a well. I only voice this opinion because I KNOW I can build it for that price. I am in the process of completeing a purchase of 100 Rai in Hua Hin, have priced out everything except the tennis courts, haven't had the time to chase down material costs. Plus it's my business, so am not talking out of my you know what.
I don't mean to rain on Steve's parade, but this site is here to help everyone in their building projects. The goal, to my mind, should be get the quality you want, but try to pay Thai prices, or close to, at least.

OK l500 sq metres on a single floor = approx 38 x 38 metres

A 200 mm thick floor would eat up 300 cubic metres of concrete

If the area was divided up into 6 equal rooms the build would consume approx 10,000 blocks

STOP

Please give me the number of this construction guy ? I have much work for him.
John

Postby the limey » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:30 pm

thaimic wrote: I only voice this opinion because I KNOW I can build it for that price. I am in the process of completeing a purchase of 100 Rai in Hua Hin, have priced out everything except the tennis courts, haven't had the time to chase down material costs. Plus it's my business, so am not talking out of my you know what.
the limey

Postby the limey » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:25 pm

I wouldn't worry about the tennis court prices, the prices you are getting the courts can only work out to about 5 baht per square meter, hell for an extra 50baht per square meter you can get a roof put over them :)
the limey

Postby Kondee » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:28 am

A really beautiful house Steve. I also enjoy your Story and pictures about it. Can you send me that plan from it if you don?t mind? Or does anybody already got it from him? zamboer@yahoo.de

thanx in advise :)
Kondee

New Comer

Postby lakdee » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:40 pm

hello All and Steve,

May I have a chance to see your beautiful house's pictures? I am planning to build house in North of Thailand also. It would be great to have a chance to see yours as a guideline.

My land size is almost similar to yours..

please send me at divx4@gawab.com

thanks in advance

Lakdee
lakdee

Hi Steve

Postby Marttaff » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:58 am

I'd love some pics of your bungalow. Am hoping to do the same as you in the next year or two, so also interested in anything I should be aware of. My email is hughesmhu@aol.com
Thanks Martin
Looking to retire to Thailand in April 2008 any assistance with any problems with visa land purchase or house building greatly received and appreciated. Always happy to chat with those in similair situations. Life is one big learning curve!!
Marttaff

New House

Postby Marttaff » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Steve, I would also be interested in a copy of the plans if ok with you, seems like a good project even if some think a little expensive, imagine what you would pay in the UK. again please send to hughesmhu@aol.com
Thanks
Martin
Looking to retire to Thailand in April 2008 any assistance with any problems with visa land purchase or house building greatly received and appreciated. Always happy to chat with those in similair situations. Life is one big learning curve!!
Marttaff

Planning to build a house in WICHIENBURI

Postby RIK1970 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:46 am

I would really appreciate a copy of your plans please. Especially any tips on the water storage or pumps/wells. Many thanks.
RIK1970

Postby t.s » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:16 pm

John wrote:
thaimic wrote:1 million baht for 150 square meters is an extremely expensive price. I thought 1 million for 1500 sq meter too expensive! My closest neighbor had built this year, in Pattaya, a very nice 3/2 1500 sq meter house for under B500,000! People, you're in Thailand, why do you pay these Farang prices!!!!!! For 1 miilion Baht, it should have a big deep swimming pool, and outdoor bbq/pizza oven as well as solar appliances, and a well. I only voice this opinion because I KNOW I can build it for that price. I am in the process of completeing a purchase of 100 Rai in Hua Hin, have priced out everything except the tennis courts, haven't had the time to chase down material costs. Plus it's my business, so am not talking out of my you know what.

OK l500 sq metres on a single floor = approx 38 x 38 metres

A 200 mm thick floor would eat up 300 cubic metres of concrete

If the area was divided up into 6 equal rooms the build would consume approx 10,000 blocks

STOP

Please give me the number of this construction guy ? I have much work for him.

Agreed, although i nwould suspect from the following remark he is just talking about labour, no materials:

thaimic wrote:
"I only voice this opinion because I KNOW I can build it for that price. I am in the process of completeing a purchase of 100 Rai in Hua Hin, have priced out everything except the tennis courts, haven't had the time to chase down material costs. Plus it's my business, so am not talking out of my you know what."

I really do think you are talking out of something.
t.s

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:53 pm

Ooh - jolly hockey sticks!

Amazing what these old threads will come up with:

Jazzman thinks SteveH has already admitted to having mistyped the area, he DID mean 150 m2, which is practically the standard size for a medium 3-bed (small bedrooms, about 4 x 4) a living-kitchen, a couple of small bathrooms and a nice porch or verandah under the existing roof.

Jazzman's bungalow is 156 m2,
also has a hip roof (complicated - builder's don't like them). Not skimping on materials at all and using expensive Granito instead of tiles on the floor and a lot of electrics everywhere.
Price: materials and labour 556,000 baht,
and by pure coincidence that works out at 3628 baht per m2. Turn-key solutions for similar houses in the coffee table books and magazines are priced from 1.5 million* or about 10,000 baht/m2.
Jazzman's swimming pool, concrete, in-ground, 5 x 12, would have cost a basic original budget of 220,000 but having chosen some expensive goodies for the floor, walls and deck, some sexy underwater programmed lighting efex, and a really cool fountain for the kids, a splash pool and slide for the adults and balance tank technology with salt-water chlorinators for Jazzman to mess with, well, it's going to cost more around 380,000 :(
The brick built mini bungalows fully equipped with cable TV, air con, hot water, are costing about 60,000 each. Built with leftovers from the house.
The restaurant** is a big octagonal 50 m2 sala, open all round, real tiles on the roof. Built with leftovers from the bungalows.
The 'Cook Your Steak Yourself' BBQ is built with leftovers from the sala.

100 Rai!!!!!! In Hua Hin???? Thaimic is either a troll, an excentric billionaire (100 rai in Hua Hin price as at 19 Jan. 2007: 869,000 GB Pounds), or the limey in disguise 8)

Verdict:
1. To get the house built for under 1 mio. is ok, but it could have been a tad cheaper and included a nice little pool.
2. Either Thaimic's calculator has a flat battery, or his flat hasn't got a calculator.
3. Jazzman really is in the know :twisted:

*Source:
120 Beautiful Homes pp 106-107 Model No. 50
ISBN 974-272-7104 Published by Home Collection Group, Bangkok.
Available in all good bookstores.

**You'll all get an invitation when we open, but you'll have to find your own way the 768 Km from Pattaya to our dump in Isaan.

Jazzman
jazzman

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story